Used Car Admin Fees

Fattychubby

I was checking out some used cars with trade assist .. i was told there is a admin fee of $700 to be borne by buyer and this is non negotiable.

was thinking this is on the high side , might as well go for the direct sellers than to go thru a "middleman"as they claim that the purchase is DIRECT from sellers ... what a joke.. i hope i am not offending the moderators of MCF. [gossip]

↡ Advertisement

3 words: Do Not Pay.

you are the buyer. you set the rules. the dealer is already earning a profit from the sale of the car. the admin fee is the salesman's extra commission. if it's not negotiable, you tell them then NO NEED to negotiate anything at all. at the end of the day, they need your business more than you need their car. always be prepared to walk away and you'll have the upper hand.

only exception is "football money" if you have to take an "in-house" loan. in this case, you need the dealer more and they have the upper hand. then try to bargain down to $500 which is the market rate.

3 words: Do Not Pay.

you are the buyer. you set the rules. the dealer is already earning a profit from the sale of the car. the admin fee is the salesman's extra commission. if it's not negotiable, you tell them then NO NEED to negotiate anything at all. at the end of the day, they need your business more than you need their car. always be prepared to walk away and you'll have the upper hand.

only exception is "football money" if you have to take an "in-house" loan. in this case, you need the dealer more and they have the upper hand. then try to bargain down to $500 which is the market rate.

Now with the uprising COE trends, it's the 2nd hand cars dealers' market.

They will pressurize the customers with now don't buy, after next COEs' bidding, will be higher if the car is not being sold, that is..

If now, try to bargain with them, sure lose to them..

for TradeAssist, I think no choice 'cos TradeAssist don't earn through mark-up. It's temp depository for direct sellers to showcase their cars. Price set by sellers. Any price negotiation will be through TradeAssist and sellers must agree before deal can go through.

This is what I remembered through their write up on how TradeAssist works (if I am not wrong). They are not typical 2nd hand car dealers.

How Trade Assist Works.... ask and ye shall be fed....

I don't work for TA just that I helped my boss sold his car before he went back to Europe.

Scheme A

For car Owner interested in selling off his/her car only. A fixed charge of $500 or 1% of the sale price, whichever is higher, will be imposed upon sale of the vehicle.

Scheme B

For car owner interested in selling off his/her car AND buying a brand new car. If owner wants to sell the used car under Trade Assist, a fix charge of $250 or 0.5% of the sale price,whichever is higher, is payable upon sale of the car.

Scheme C

For car owner who would like Trade Assist to handle the documentation and paperwork only. A fixed charge of $250 will be imposed in the case whereby a car owner manages to find a buyer for his car. Trade Assist will only help to prepare the sale agreeement, process the paperwork and application of loan if necessary.

How Trade Assist Works.... ask and ye shall be fed....

I don't work for TA just that I helped my boss sold his car before he went back to Europe.

Scheme A

For car Owner interested in selling off his/her car only. A fixed charge of $500 or 1% of the sale price, whichever is higher, will be imposed upon sale of the vehicle.

Scheme B

For car owner interested in selling off his/her car AND buying a brand new car. If owner wants to sell the used car under Trade Assist, a fix charge of $250 or 0.5% of the sale price,whichever is higher, is payable upon sale of the car.

Scheme C

For car owner who would like Trade Assist to handle the documentation and paperwork only. A fixed charge of $250 will be imposed in the case whereby a car owner manages to find a buyer for his car. Trade Assist will only help to prepare the sale agreeement, process the paperwork and application of loan if necessary.

What TS said is correct... I was also quoted the $700 "admin" fee, would be $1000 if don't take house loan / insurance. Considering that TA doesn't seem to provide any "warranty" or responsibility for the car, I think the fee is quite meaningless.

What TS said is correct... I was also quoted the $700 "admin" fee, would be $1000 if don't take house loan / insurance. Considering that TA doesn't seem to provide any "warranty" or responsibility for the car, I think the fee is quite meaningless.

the last i called them, i can't even test-drive the car

I was in Used car trade before and there is no cost to admin fee.

Recently when I was looking for a loan, I went to a used car dealer and they quoted me $500 for admin fee.

They want the Log card with NRIC details and I cannot provide it.

I am thinking that going thru them is a hassle free but since it is not hasslefree, I went to apply loan myself.

Got a loan within 2 hours without the documents they requested. Saved myself a cool $500, got the loan amount I need.

If that I have more time, I would have got 1% off my own loan application :P.

These dealers sometimes really cannot be trust. And this dealer of the one I went, I supported them quite a bit by referrals. They only managed to close 1 deal and for my own car, wanna support them and yet, expensive service & they sucks.

Neutral Newbie

Hey I am a newbie in buying cars.. Just want to ask what do i need to do or what is the procedure like when buying from direct sellers??

Neutral Newbie

Any recommendation for 2nd hand dealer that do not charge admin fee?

I have been to a few dealers, all of them charge admin fee, no neg on the waive of the admin fee.

The most is 1k admin fee as stated by TS.

Any advice?

↡ Advertisement