Shell Helix Ultra at Giant

Minut3s

For those who is staying in the north, I have 2 bottles of Shell 5W40 to let go at the same price. As I bought many bottles in one of the local warehouse sale and am now clearing my store room space for some reno works.

Self collection at Sembawang

Those interested can PM me.

Reno work starting very soon. Have 2 bottles of Shell HU letting go at $29 each.

PM if interested.  Self collection at Yishun / Sembawang.

↡ Advertisement

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/shell-opens-lubricant-plant-in-tuas-among-worlds-largest

Shell opened a lubricant plant in SG, largest in Asia Pacific last year. Said it's the main supply for Asia region. Question is any Shell Helix Ultra sold in Singapore (regardless shell station or supermarket) made right here in Singapore?? Anyone one working in our local petrochemical industry?

I remember those sold in stations are from HK. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/shell-opens-lubricant-plant-in-tuas-among-worlds-largest

Shell opened a lubricant plant in SG, largest in Asia Pacific last year. Said it's the main supply for Asia region. Question is any Shell Helix Ultra sold in Singapore (regardless shell station or supermarket) made right here in Singapore?? Anyone one working in our local petrochemical industry?

As far as I know, it's market segmentation.

The oil produced here is for Asia/Pacific market.

It is marketed and priced much higher than parallel imports from other parts of the world.

So to protect the local market, well..you know, they do what they have to do to keep the price high.

In other words, it's market protectionism.

• Praise 1

The article says the local plant is cater for the marine industry and the production line is packing the oil in oil drums. Not the ones we see in supermarkets.

The things is where do the motor oil that motor car uses get transported to, packed and distributed when it leaves the oil refinery plant? Yes, we have the oil refinery facility but do we have the production line to handle, pack and distribution for export? I think most of the refined fuel and by products get shipped out directly from the refinery island to regional facilities for further processing. Ppl might think there's a direct pipe here linked to the Singapore main island and every get exported from here. The petrol/diesel and petroleum byproducts needs to be further processed like add fuel additives to the fuel and engine oil to meet emission standards. Marine has marine emission standards. Motor car has car emission standards. Question is where do they go?

After the engine oil are processed and packed they are imported back to Singapore, taxed and distributed. That may be why we get to see the different set of prices. Question is where the supermarket get its distribution from that's less costly.

• Praise 1

Where supermarkets get from? I believe its a trade secret.

The article says the local plant is cater for the marine industry and the production line is packing the oil in oil drums. Not the ones we see in supermarkets.

The things is where do the motor oil that motor car uses get transported to, packed and distributed when it leaves the oil refinery plant? Yes, we have the oil refinery facility but do we have the production line to handle, pack and distribution for export? I think most of the refined fuel and by products get shipped out directly from the refinery island to regional facilities for further processing. Ppl might think there's a direct pipe here linked to the Singapore main island and every get exported from here. The petrol/diesel and petroleum byproducts needs to be further processed like add fuel additives to the fuel and engine oil to meet emission standards. Marine has marine emission standards. Motor car has car emission standards. Question is where do they go?

After the engine oil are processed and packed they are imported back to Singapore, taxed and distributed. That may be why we get to see the different set of prices. Question is where the supermarket get its distribution from that's less costly.

Where supermarkets get from? I believe its a trade secret.

Haha...I think it's no secret. Look at online shops like amazon or alibaba. How do they lower the cost? They own the logistics companies.

Supermarkets have to source their products overseas. If they let 3rd parties do most of the logistics things we buy will turn out expensive. So one way to do everything on their own from purchasing, logistics to shipping.

Edited by Watwheels

Haha...I think it's no secret. Look at online shops like amazon or alibaba. How do they lower the cost? They own the logistics companies.

Supermarkets have to source their products overseas. If they let 3rd parties do most of the logistics things we buy will turn out expensive. So one way to do everything on their own from purchasing, logistics to shipping.

Majority knows this. But who and where they buy the oil from?

Malaysia lor ...... nearby lor.  Giant is a Malaysian company right ?

Actually at Shell Kiosk in JB, the shell EO also "quite" cheap as compare to ours lor.

If these source dry out, we can buy from there too......

Majority knows this. But who and where they buy the oil from?

Malaysia lor ...... nearby lor.  Giant is a Malaysian company right ?

Actually at Shell Kiosk in JB, the shell EO also "quite" cheap as compare to ours lor.

If these source dry out, we can buy from there too......

Giant is Malaysia. But it is bought over by the Dairy Farm group which is from Hong Kong. 

• Praise 1