Mustafa Centre 1st floor ordered to close by SCDF

Berncsp76

Just saw the news and post here to let bros know...no toileteries/electronics/medicated items to buy there from today 4pm onwards for 3 days until Sat 8pm...still can patronise other floor levels though...or hop over to nearby City Square. [;)]

Apr 8, 2010

Mustafa to close 1st storey

By Elena Chong

IN AN unprecedented move, Mustafa Centre has been ordered to close its first storey for 40 hours from 4pm on Thursday to 8am on Saturday.

No retail activity will be allowed on that level but the other floors of the six-storey building at Syed Alwi Road will not be affected.

Even the money-changing and food delivery services outside the building can operate as usual. This followed an application by Singapore Civil Defence Force for a prohibition order which was granted by District Judge Imran Abdul Hamid on Thursday.

SCDF had pressed for a 72-hour closure order but the court decided on 40 hours instead. SCDF had said that overcrowding was still an issue despite the company having been fined on Jan 19 for two charges of fire safety violations, including overcrowding.

It went to court last month to seek the prohibition order as the mall had breached the 431-patron limit for the first storey. Mustafa's lawyer, Mr Mirza Namazie had argued that the order should not be given as it was not fair and right.

He said his clients had been more vigilant since last week's hearing and had actually stopped people from entering once the number reached 380.

↡ Advertisement

good that scdf doing something and sending a signal as that shop is fire hazard. mustafa however sure fed up that they kena singled out as surely got other shops also crowded altho they are not as famous as mustafa.

just thinking aloud, wonder will that spark racial conflicts.. since they are the minority race in SG. but anyway the owner is not SGrean.

anyway i am one of the few who goes to mustafa for after midnight shopping. :) tt place still the only shopping-friendly place in SG for night owls like me.

Supercharged

where to find parking near Mustafa area?

That place is so darn messy.....from the Mustafa center itself to the roads outside. Calling it Little India is wrong. It's like a Big India there now.

Neutral Newbie

just thinking aloud, wonder will that spark racial conflicts.. since they are the minority race in SG. but anyway the owner is not SGrean.

anyway i am one of the few who goes to mustafa for after midnight shopping. :) tt place still the only shopping-friendly place in SG for night owls like me.

I thought the owner is singaporean?? I remember the last time, the OCBC advertisement got use him as example of successful businessman.

That place is so darn messy.....from the Mustafa center itself to the roads outside. Calling it Little India is wrong. It's like a Big India there now.

there's free parking inside mustafa centre but is always crowded...can park at City Square easier and bigger parking space. I only go there to buy snacks as they have some nice and cheap ones and also bedding items.

THink the affected sales will at least cost them 6 digit figures per day.

Actually they already under the blacklisted book by SCDF. If I remember they actually converted a warehouse in Macpherson Road into a similar department/supermarket. THen SCDF/URA ask to reinstate them back. Haha. Suay la they all. [rolleyes]

Supercharged
(edited)

there's free parking inside mustafa centre but is always crowded...can park at City Square easier and bigger parking space. I only go there to buy snacks as they have some nice and cheap ones and also bedding items.

THink the affected sales will at least cost them 6 digit figures per day.

Actually they already under the blacklisted book by SCDF. If I remember they actually converted a warehouse in Macpherson Road into a similar department/supermarket. THen SCDF/URA ask to reinstate them back. Haha. Suay la they all. [rolleyes]

With their kind of business volume, they can easily afford a IKEA or GIANT Tampines kind of mall.

Simply show that they just want to squeeze profit out of customers and employees with no regard to safety.

Edited by Starry

I've been there on really crowded days...... but from a biz point of view

If customers wanna come in to spend $$$, who in the right mind would deny them the chance?

Dun me they would have to q up in a line and wait for their turns to enter like going into a club etc? Sounds pretty absurd to me

Really lar, its because the recently opened city mall got no business...All still go to mustafa. So no choice got to take immediate action. hahaha

i notice mustafa employs PRCs cleaners den the rest of the staff are indian cashiers, security guards, sales staff etc. lol

i notice mustafa employs PRCs cleaners den the rest of the staff are indian cashiers, security guards, sales staff etc. lol

So I wonder how many Singaporean workers they actually employ...hahaa

don't drive into the road surrounding Mustafa, I always park 1 or 2 street away and walk over, easier to get parking lot.

also, try to go after midnight, or park at race course road that side and walk over

I also notice more and more cleaner replaced by PRC, wonder how they communicate

Similarly, many indian food stall also hire PRC in the kitchen to do all the dirty work

(edited)

Within a span of 4 months they first received a SCDF fine for overcrowding, followed by fine on warehouse for retail breach and now court order to close shop for 40hrs.

My opinion is that something is odd about this sudden clamp, makes me think the owner offended someone..... this latest instance is to remind him of where he is and to keep him in place

Next will be to 'maybe' deny Mustapha from bidding on commercial shop space for their expansion plans since they have blemished safety record in tow?

Can't help the conspiracy thoughts [sweatdrop]

Edited by Smhomie

Supercharged

BY the way, are electronic items(say LCD TV) in Mustafa cheaper than Courts?

Because Courts always yaya with CEO on TV saying they got a daily price check team. I wonder if that team goes to Mustafa as well.

↡ Advertisement