Pedestrian crossing with no pedestrian...@#$%&*

Hammerhammer

Have you guys encounter this? Approaching a pedestrian crossing, those dedicated to pedestrian type need to press button to activate type not traffic junction type, the traffic light become red. Then you have to stop but the bugger whom had press the button to cross is nowhere to be seen. So you end up stopping in the middle of the road burning up your precious fuel and time waiting just because some idiot press the button and cross when there is not car around.

We cannot beat the red light if not 12 points and fine even no pedestrian crossing, but pedestrian can beat the red light when no car in sight and get away scot free. Even if I were to cross this type of crossing either I see not alot of car I just cross without pressing the button and if I happen to press the button I will just wait until green man then I cross. At lease when the car stop and see someone crossing the road the driver wun be so tulan right.

Why can't LTA build those crossing with sensor instead of buttons. Then can built sensor for cars at traffic junction to control timing of the traffic light surely can install sensor to sense presence of people right?

↡ Advertisement

those sensors built for cars is based on electromagnetic interference. You will need a substancial amount of ferrous metals over the sensors to trigger it.

it is considerably cheaper and maintenance free to install such sensors compared to weight or infrared sensors for pedestrians.

Have you guys encounter this? Approaching a pedestrian crossing, those dedicated to pedestrian type need to press button to activate type not traffic junction type, the traffic light become red. Then you have to stop but the bugger whom had press the button to cross is nowhere to be seen. So you end up stopping in the middle of the road burning up your precious fuel and time waiting just because some idiot press the button and cross when there is not car around.

We cannot beat the red light if not 12 points and fine even no pedestrian crossing, but pedestrian can beat the red light when no car in sight and get away scot free. Even if I were to cross this type of crossing either I see not alot of car I just cross without pressing the button and if I happen to press the button I will just wait until green man then I cross. At lease when the car stop and see someone crossing the road the driver wun be so tulan right.

Why can't LTA build those crossing with sensor instead of buttons. Then can built sensor for cars at traffic junction to control timing of the traffic light surely can install sensor to sense presence of people right?

See that everyday.. wat's worse.. 2 queues of vehicles.. waiting for greenlight.. but no one crossing.. so ended up countdown the seconds with the blinking walking green man..

by your tone, i guess the driver has more rights on the roads because he pays for "precious fuel", COE and road tax?

even with the miracle "sensors" you suggested, the system will change the lights once it detects pedestrians at the crossing. and if he/she has already crossed the roads in the absence of cars, you'd still be stuck at the light. and imagine, people who just merely pass the light. it'll all trigger the system. it's just a plain stupid suggestion.

get a grip. it's only about 30sec to a min. how much money can you lose? if you are so hard up burning a few drops of fuel, i think you should consider selling your car.

by your tone, i guess the driver has more rights on the roads because he pays for "precious fuel", COE and road tax?

even with the miracle "sensors" you suggested, the system will change the lights once it detects pedestrians at the crossing. and if he/she has already crossed the roads in the absence of cars, you'd still be stuck at the light. and imagine, people who just merely pass the light. it'll all trigger the system. it's just a plain stupid suggestion.

get a grip. it's only about 30sec to a min. how much money can you lose? if you are so hard up burning a few drops of fuel, i think you should consider selling your car.

i'm with you on this.

driving develops many things in me.... including patience.

Easy to implement, Just put a proximity sensor like that used on auto door at shopping sensor and link it to the button. So when button is press the count down for turning from red to green man start. But if count down haven't reach for men to change to green and pedestrian cross when there is no car then the count down abort until someone come and press the button again.

30secs to 1min not a long time. But you know what is 积少成多? Actually is not about hard up for the few drop of fuel but the frustration of waiting. Double standard when pedestrain commit an offense most likely will get away with it and the most is a $50 fine for jaywalking if I am not wrong. But for motorist is 12 points and $200.

Twincharged

Easy to implement, Just put a proximity sensor like that used on auto door at shopping sensor and link it to the button. So when button is press the count down for turning from red to green man start. But if count down haven't reach for men to change to green and pedestrian cross when there is no car then the count down abort until someone come and press the button again.

30secs to 1min not a long time. But you know what is 积少成多? Actually is not about hard up for the few drop of fuel but the frustration of waiting. Double standard when pedestrain commit an offense most likely will get away with it and the most is a $50 fine for jaywalking if I am not wrong. But for motorist is 12 points and $200.

Of course the punishment for the motorist should be heavier la. Because pedestrian jaywalk only endager his own life but motorist beat red lights endagers the pedestrain's life leh.

Fully agreed with you on this....

Neutral Newbie

patience is a rare virtue these days.

To me,it is still acceptable with me.what i dislike r nowadays those very rectangular and big hump which have stripes on it.i dun think it is zebra crossing.but i have encounter pedestrian scolding drivers who never stop for them [knife] .it is so dangersous that some cyclist take it that its a zebra crossing and expect the car to stop.worst still,i know some drivers being kind and let pedestrains cross first,but i think if u encounter high huge flow of pple,u might be waiting longer than usual.n pple will start think it is a zebra crossing.

lets see. assuming that you are driving a 2L car, and stopping for 1 min at the lights cost you to burn 50 cents of petrol.

you get caught at the lights 3 times a day so that makes it $1.50 a day.

LTA decides to install proximity device and raises road tax for the cost of implementation and maintenance.

Sounds like a fairly good bargain to pay for a little inconvenience.

So who's up for the idea?

Neutral Newbie

driving during the wee hours of the morning like 1am - 5am

not a soul in sight.

no incoming traffic, still have to wait for the light to turn green.

what up with that?

not about that extra petrol used during idling. i just wanna get home quick.

its damn annoying to wait the entire cycle just for the lights to turn right with no one in sight.

makes me want to get down and press the button at times.

is the sensor even working?

Edited by Ahliew

Yap ... lots of time while waiting for the green light and no pedestrain is crossing, does make one feel rather stupid waiting there in the car,especially when you are in the rush for time. Such situation may deem to be a little bit too frustrating. The system will only work when pedestrains and drivers cooperate. In some places , seems that the timing programmed for this kinda self buttoned system are more in favour towards the pedestrain side . This time I saw pedestrain pressing on the button, within 2 to 3 seconds, the red light goes on stoping oncoming vehicles.

It takes 2 hand to clap so in order for the system to function properly, pedestrains not only drivers do hold a certain level of responsibility too. So next time if you alr pressed the button, do wait patiently for the green man to come on , if you wanna jaywalk....better dun press the button cos in anyway or so you (pedestrians) are either causing stress to drivers or committing an offence. [:p] [:p] [:p]

Edited by HARDGAYHOOOO

lets see. assuming that you are driving a 2L car, and stopping for 1 min at the lights cost you to burn 50 cents of petrol.

you get caught at the lights 3 times a day so that makes it $1.50 a day.

LTA decides to install proximity device and raises road tax for the cost of implementation and maintenance.

Sounds like a fairly good bargain to pay for a little inconvenience.

So who's up for the idea?

according to your "estimation", stopping for a minute burns 0.25L of petrol, then for a 60L tank, it only takes 4 hrs of idling to consume it all.

Quite far-fetched, dunnca think?

Neutral Newbie

Relak bro, there are also many T-Junction at certain time of the day or night where you are virtually stopping for no vehicles crossing you . . . Do some maths, for every 10 traffic light you pass each day, is there a happening of more than 2 traffic light that you stopped is for 'GHOST' to cross ??? I believe its more likely that your time were wasted by vehicle road hoggers rather than 'Ghostly' traffic lights bah.

Bro, there are many things in life that holds up many few seconds or minutes of our time. Everytime you find one, do you always cry for the Govt to do a remedy for you??

Edited by Wheeler

I guess one of the reasons why some people wanna have their own transport is to cut down waiting time at BUS STOPS or MRT STN /taxi stands even if it take them to spend more money owning a sedan. If you look at it in another perspective, they or rather WE are time consious people and dun wanna waste unneccessary time . To some of us, time means money so patience isnt exactly in our middle name..hehehehehehe [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement