1 more dumb OPC Idea

Osiris

Read this in ST forum

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_517867.html

What this guy proposed, those current normal plate cars owners who never kenna ERP daily like me will convert to OPC.

Then the scheme is not OPC. it's Non-ERP Car

I am all for OPC ownership where owners know what they got into

But please don't buy economy seat and expect business class seat citing there's unsold seats

All-day driving idea for off-peak cars

I REFER to Wednesday's report, 'High COEs cool demand' on the drop in off-peak car (OPC) sales. Enhancements such as full-day Saturday use and electronic licences were added to the OPC scheme recently and I would like to suggest another enhancement.

Allow OPCs to be driven at any time, subject to this restriction: the first time each day an OPC is driven under an operational ERP gantry, the daily charge of $20 is deducted in addition to the prevailing ERP charge. In other words, the daily licence is applied for and paid simply by driving under an operational ERP gantry. No other application is necessary.

Subsequent passes under ERP gantries on the same day are charged at the prevailing ERP rate - the $20 is deducted only once. The technology of ERP gantries and in-vehicle units should allow this to be done easily.

An OPC driver who is careful to avoid ERP gantries will be able to drive his car free and be charged the daily licence fee only when on roads with high usage - where ERP gantries are located. Indeed, I believe such an enhancement will capture the true intent of the OPC scheme, which is to restrict car use during peak times and in places of high usage and allow free use at other times and places.

An OPC owner who lives in a suburban area with low road usage during the daytime, for example Yishun, Sengkang or Jurong, will be able to run errands, take children to and from school and drive elderly parents within the area without clogging up the roads.

Another advantage of using technology to deduct the daily licence fee automatically is that it does away with the need for the driver to apply for the licence and eliminates the need for enforcement.

I hope the Ministry of Transport will consider this suggestion.

Tan Soon Meng

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

yah man..liddat i'll convert to OPC immediately..the last time i pass under an active ERP is i think over 1 mth ago...and it's a saturday somemore..

Given so much COE rebate, road tax rebate, full day saturday and selected public holiday eve, you will still have these people who can't really afford to own even a OPC car to come up with idiotic ideas to save money..

BTW, I also do not go through ERP.. :o

Read this in ST forum

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_517867.html

What this guy proposed, those current normal plate cars owners who never kenna ERP daily like me will convert to OPC.

Then the scheme is not OPC. it's Non-ERP Car

I am all for OPC ownership where owners know what they got into

But please don't buy economy seat and expect business class seat citing there's unsold seats

All-day driving idea for off-peak cars

I REFER to Wednesday's report, 'High COEs cool demand' on the drop in off-peak car (OPC) sales. Enhancements such as full-day Saturday use and electronic licences were added to the OPC scheme recently and I would like to suggest another enhancement.

Allow OPCs to be driven at any time, subject to this restriction: the first time each day an OPC is driven under an operational ERP gantry, the daily charge of $20 is deducted in addition to the prevailing ERP charge. In other words, the daily licence is applied for and paid simply by driving under an operational ERP gantry. No other application is necessary.

Subsequent passes under ERP gantries on the same day are charged at the prevailing ERP rate - the $20 is deducted only once. The technology of ERP gantries and in-vehicle units should allow this to be done easily.

An OPC driver who is careful to avoid ERP gantries will be able to drive his car free and be charged the daily licence fee only when on roads with high usage - where ERP gantries are located. Indeed, I believe such an enhancement will capture the true intent of the OPC scheme, which is to restrict car use during peak times and in places of high usage and allow free use at other times and places.

An OPC owner who lives in a suburban area with low road usage during the daytime, for example Yishun, Sengkang or Jurong, will be able to run errands, take children to and from school and drive elderly parents within the area without clogging up the roads.

Another advantage of using technology to deduct the daily licence fee automatically is that it does away with the need for the driver to apply for the licence and eliminates the need for enforcement.

I hope the Ministry of Transport will consider this suggestion.

Tan Soon Meng

This fellow donno that Non-ERP Roads are PACKED JAMMED with normal cars trying to avoid ERP charges.

This means if OPC can freely drive during 7am~7pm... Our roads will be in GRIDLOCK....

Turbocharged

i really cant understand wat these kind of ppl r thinking. they really hv no brains. n caused normal plate drivers to dislike opc drivers. i'm an opc driver, n i really tink the measures in place right now r fair enuf. don understand wat else they want. stupid idiots.

Actually I think his idea is rather interesting....not saying it will definitely work....Of course then it will not be call OPC...And road tax amount will change...rebate level will change etc etc...need alot of study...But it will be interesting to create more usage on road that are normally under utilised during certain hours... :D

Actually I think his idea is rather interesting....not saying it will definitely work....Of course then it will not be call OPC...And road tax amount will change...rebate level will change etc etc...need alot of study...But it will be interesting to create more usage on road that are normally under utilised during certain hours... :D

I agree... this should apply to all cars. OPC's should kenna an extra $20 for use during peak hours as well. Mind you I do have an OPC car as well. This should keep congestion down :D

The selection process for the ST forum has always befuddled me....

its almost like a distraction, where they get people to talk about the stupidity rather than the real issue itself.

or maybe they just want us all to have a good laugh.

at least, it educates us on the mentality of our people.

why Strait times bother to print such letter...obviously this write only think of himself.

they print it for entertainment. sometimes they print stupid letters to make us angry or laugh. either that or they really stupid to print stupid letters

Turbocharged

they print it for entertainment. sometimes they print stupid letters to make us angry or laugh. either that or they really stupid to print stupid letters

but sometimes, those mps will debate on such "proposal" ... dont under estimate letter posted in papers..... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

[thumbsup] idea..

den OPC can only drive during the 0930-1130 & 1500-1430 & 2100-0600 slots loh since u r talking bout underutilization..

↡ Advertisement