HELP with Shipping problem F***ing shipping agent

Cerano

Hi guys

I shipped 4 boxes of car rims from the US. They arrived on a ship here ytd.

It was a very complicated process involving the shipper passing the item to the forwarding company which would then consolidate items to be shipped to singapore into one container. Once the shipping company takes over from the forwarding company it would then be up to the agent here in singapore to handle the administration. This method albeit complex, cost the least. Still $600 or so.

The goods were due to be picked up by me at the port.

So I waited for ~1 month for the ship to arrive. I sent the shipping company the bill of lading and invoice had the items declared as a gift around 3 weeks before the arrival of the goods. The CRO assured me that she would expedite the process and that they could provide customs brokering service as well as delivery for a fee.

However, today when i called up the shipping agent they forwarded me the notice of arrival. Turns out agent fees, wharfing and DO fees were not included and they came up to $125. This was not mentioned to me or the shipper by the forwarding company OR the agent here despite me contacting them beforehand to send them the B/L and invoice 3 weeks beforehand.

I checked with my friend and he said he wasnt informed. I checked with the agent and they said the $600 i paid was only the ORIGIN FEES

So i told the CRO no problem I dont mind paying this amount even THOUGH it was not included in the $600 i already paid for which was told to me as the nett figure. That one im willing to absorb.

They then sent me the admin FEEs for processing customs. This one added up to ANOTHER $200 or so. This one was expensive but not unexpected. The forwarding company had told me that I had to pay for customs clearance even if I had declared it as a gift.

The agent then chut stunt again say the invoice declaring the rims as a gift doesnt work. That i have to pay GST. This one i also dont mind paying BUT

KNNCCB NOW THEN THEY TELL ME AFTER THE RIMS ARRIVE.

THEN THEY CHARGE ME FOR

1. FORKLIFTING THE RIMS TO THE WAREHOUSE $75

2. MANPOWER $50

3. WAREHOUSE STORAGE

4. REMOVAL OF RIMS

How can they f--king charge me for bringing my rims to the warehouse when it was supposed to be a port pickup

They did not even inform me or ask my permission to send it to the warehouse.

Even if they claim its not processed by customs yet and i cant collect my good, its their fault why didnt they tell me declaration as a gift doesnt work till today.

and charge me for storage and movement BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN DELAY.

WHY DIDNT THEY SETTLE ALL THE CUSTOMS ADMIN WITH ME BEFOREHAND BEFORE THE GOODS ARRIVED?

I am waiting for my friend to rewrite the invoice. And see what the company can do about this.

Im not a calculative person. I dont mind paying $100-200 more even though it was not included in the original deal. BUT $540+ IS AS MUCH AS THE MONEY IT TAKES TO SHIP THE STUFF FROM AMERICA. WTF

If they had informed me earlier then I wouldve have used air freight which would have saved me 3 weeks +++ and lots of opportunity costs in my sale of old rims for just abit more $$$

They did not have the decency to inform me or the shipper despite me contacting them 3 weeks beforehand and now they want to charge me for their negligence? They still had the cheek to tell me its their "STANDARD" CHARGES. BS

Can i go to the small claims tribunal if they play punk? Its a big shipping agent.

I have all the proof and evidence with me.

Can any bros in the shipping industry advise?

Edited by Cerano
↡ Advertisement

bro,

i think the free detention at the port may be over, usually 14 days. after that they may need to move it out of the port area.

i'm not in the freight industry/container port industry, so i don't know what else they will involve.

good luck bro.

Bro....sad to tell you this...but u are at their mercy.....just pay up and forget....dun ever use this co again...

alot of time, DHL is cheaper or not much more expensive. even rims, i think.

This morning i just discussed with my friend too on this

US and UK ship in usually need pay these $, and till now,i not sure why

Usually branded shipping freight,i was charged 800+ for 19kg b4...and what to do,just pay

i use another 1,not from US or UK,

i no nid pay a single cent,just purely shipping only..and direct to my home

thats why i dont understand why still need pay such fee but for others, no nid at all

Edited by Freestylers09

Bro....sad to tell you this...but u are at their mercy.....just pay up and forget....dun ever use this co again...

bro

i spoke to them. i can choose not to have the items processed through customs by them. anyone can recommend me a cheap customs broker?

i wont choose this company again

the way i see it i have two routes

1. I believe the company is listed and so i can go the PR route

2. I am in the right so the small claims tribunal would work

this is grounds for misrepresentation and possibly negligence on their part.

bro,

i think the free detention at the port may be over, usually 14 days. after that they may need to move it out of the port area.

i'm not in the freight industry/container port industry, so i don't know what else they will involve.

good luck bro.

bro the ship just arrived ytd night

This morning i just discussed with my friend too on this

US and UK ship in usually need pay these $, and till now,i not sure why

Usually branded shipping freight,i was charged 800+ for 19kg b4...and what to do,just pay

i use another 1,not from US or UK,

i no nid pay a single cent,just purely shipping only..and direct to my home

thats why i dont understand why still need pay such fee but for others, no nid at all

bro this is not branded.

i am mostly curious about how the rims look like, i'm sure they look good

anyway i feel your angst and the injustice you feel

cant offer any advice as not experienced in this sort of thing

i too had a nasty experience with shipping stuff, but entirely different from you. ended up had to pay much more than i expected

all i can say to you is that a few years down the road, this episode will be just a interesting story for you to tell others, you will forge all the injustice now as time heals all wounds, and years later, you will be smiling at the unique set of rims you have gotten yourself through all the trouble.

btw custome processing need only half a day at our site

if i see my tracking reach in 12am, i b4 12pm on the day,i sure can get if to the courier

usually i use EMS..so far v good n fast man..

sorry. din see.

i think they apply the standard rates for the corporates to you. think they just try to stick you with as much charges as possible. this really sticky area.

yes i think getting another customs clearing and port license feight forwarder might be a good idea.

Tough luck...

You paid 600 is from shipper door to port.

That does not include local handling charges.

And the charges they are charging is quote standard walk in customer rates.

You should have go and find a clearance agent yourself and source for quote.

Shipper should have indicated on the proforma invoice value at $100 adding sentence such as

*Value indicated is for custom purposes only.

Item has no commercial value

Remarks: Gift for friend*

You can't collect from port. Unless you own an office inside KD. They are like middleman between PSA port and agent / end user

When they mean port, it usually means port warehouse / break bulk warehouse. A service fee already incurred there.

Forklift charge - Lan lan got to pay

Storage - Lan lan got to pay

Break bulk charges - Lan lan got to pay

Port Fee, Permit, docs, admin fee - See how you negotiate

But if you source for your own forwarding agent upfront and get a quote, most probably you will need to pay 250 exlcuding duties.

If go in by yourself, only can suck thumb and pay or you can just reject and ignore the rims....

oh ya ,v important

*Value indicated is for custom purposes only.

Item has no commercial value

Remarks: Gift for friend*

very important..if not usually is Samples

but for big companies,their invoices usually will write full specs..if underdeclare or undertax,account problem etc

but for agents,usually they know how to do with it

i am mostly curious about how the rims look like, i'm sure they look good

anyway i feel your angst and the injustice you feel

cant offer any advice as not experienced in this sort of thing

i too had a nasty experience with shipping stuff, but entirely different from you. ended up had to pay much more than i expected

all i can say to you is that a few years down the road, this episode will be just a interesting story for you to tell others, you will forge all the injustice now as time heals all wounds, and years later, you will be smiling at the unique set of rims you have gotten yourself through all the trouble.

c63 amg rims bro [laugh]

This is normal, u have to pay for local handler, unless u specify door to door service (right to your house).

yes bro

however, i dont see why i have to pay for their warehousing and all.

Sea freight is charge separately one. Unless its specify door-door service.

Only registered license forwarder can clear your goods and deliver to you.

U thought PSA is post office har. Goods arrive, u just walk in and collect har ? [laugh]