Questions about Gearbox overhaul

Vextan

If you overhaul your gearbox do an early ATF oil change.

A new box or an overhaul box will have more metal shavings until the gears are broken in.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supercharged
On 3/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, Jamesc said:

If you overhaul your gearbox do an early ATF oil change.

A new box or an overhaul box will have more metal shavings until the gears are broken in.

:D

lots of it, especially like you said, new or rebuilt gearbox

the magnets on the oil pan will capture them

they are very tedious to clean

you got to pray that your mechanic is meticulous and bother to clean those metal shavings on the magnets 😁

audi-01v-tiptronic-transmission-fluid-ch

transpanmagnet.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

This morning after parking my car and trying to restart again, I got into a gear problem.

It can't start and shows that it is in Reverse mode.  The gear handle becomes very loose and cannot be engaged.

What could be the problem?  I am now at basement carpark and probably needs a tow truck.  

Is there anyway which I could switch to Neutral before being towed off? I don't think it should be towed in Reverse mode.

Thanks for helping to save an ah pek in distress 

On 7/24/2023 at 7:00 AM, Albeniz said:

This morning after parking my car and trying to restart again, I got into a gear problem.

It can't start and shows that it is in Reverse mode.  The gear handle becomes very loose and cannot be engaged.

What could be the problem?  I am now at basement carpark and probably needs a tow truck.  

Is there anyway which I could switch to Neutral before being towed off? I don't think it should be towed in Reverse mode.

Try inserting physical key into this hole. Then try shifting lo.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Praise 3

On 7/24/2023 at 7:00 AM, Albeniz said:

The tow truck should have dolly wheels to be placed under the tyres.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Thanks folks for your responses.

1.  My mechanic feels it is likely that the gear selector cable is spoilt.

2. The tow truck guy said my rear wheels are free-moving and it doesn't matter if  the gear is in Reverse-mode as the front wheels will be lifted.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

It was quite fortunate today that I happened to park in a relatively big car park with no cars beside, so the towing was done quickly.

I am wondering.  If my car had been parallel-parked and sandwiched by 2 cars (1 front, and the other behind), and my gear was stuck in "Reverse" mode, would there be any way I could shift my automatic-transmission car out of the parallel lot for towing?

On 7/24/2023 at 11:31 AM, mersaylee said:

I tink towing fee plus lifting fee applies... 😁

R (17).jpg

8495018849_f21a4eb419_b.jpg

Towing Fee for car

Towing Fee for Forklift

Forklift charge

On 7/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, Albeniz said:

It was quite fortunate today that I happened to park in a relatively big car park with no cars beside, so the towing was done quickly.

I am wondering.  If my car had been parallel-parked and sandwiched by 2 cars (1 front, and the other behind), and my gear was stuck in "Reverse" mode, would there be any way I could shift my automatic-transmission car out of the parallel lot for towing?

No problem one....

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Oh!  I have 1 more question.

I drove my car into the car park and my entry was registered (24July).   The car broke down in the car park and was towed out of the carpark by the truck.

The exit of my car was not registered.

The next time when I re-enter the carpark again (which is a few days later), will I be charged a large sum of parking fee (starting from 24 July)?

On 7/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, Albeniz said:

I drove my car into the car park and my entry was registered (24July).   The car broke down in the car park and was towed out of the carpark by the truck.

The next time when I re-enter the carpark again (which is a few days later), will I be charged a large sum of parking fee (starting from 24 July)?

Their system not so smart one.... New entry new record. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

When the tow truck exited, it's no different from those car park cheats that tailgated.

Take comfort in not paying for carpark charges. :grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 7/24/2023 at 2:49 PM, Scorpiong said:

Hi, anyone encounter jerking issue sometimes when accelerating my vehicle. Is it the gearbox problem? Thanks.

VTEC kicked in YO!! 😂

• Haha! 1

(edited)
On 7/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, Albeniz said:

Hamburger has answered your question, but dont live in fear, MCF standard reply is to change car.😄😄

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

On 7/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Ct3833 said:

Hamburger has answered your question, but dont live in fear, MCF standard reply is to change car.😄😄

Chey

so slow

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1