Questions about Gearbox overhaul

Vextan

@Comage, appreciate you coming forward to warn fellow members about the potential "banana skin" involved in overhauling the auto gear box.   Indeed, this woeful job is unacceptable, and should be exposed ! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

21 hours ago, Micb said:

@Comage, appreciate you coming forward to warn fellow members about the potential "banana skin" involved in overhauling the auto gear box.   Indeed, this woeful job is unacceptable, and should be exposed ! 

I guess the worst thing is - this contact wasn't a random Google search or a walk-in when I was looking for a gearbox guy to fix my transmission.

Getting conned by some random mechanic that you simply drove your car into for repair works - that's laughable right? (eh you never do your homework and check the reviews issit?)
Getting conned by a mechanic whom your friend trusted (he didn't know also), and recommends to you wholeheartedly because your friend know the mechanic guy - well, I am simply speechless to that.

I know there's really no recourse, and even going to CASE isn't going to help. And I wouldn't be surprised if you have 9 out of 10 gearbox guy workshops pulling such stunts as well.

And also, there's no way for the average Joe to verify what I had just showed above.

----------

Update: I forgot to mention the part about the transmission oil strainer (filter). Here is a side-by-side comparison when I took it out (the one he installed on the left, my new one from Toyota stockist on the right). Notice the difference in some of the engravings...

20221029_023022.jpg.51b14ef179ecb9f0b2e69ac330eeda71.jpg

The one the guy installed for me was did not have any markings at all - so I can only assume it was non-original Toyota oil strainer (OEM? Counterfeit? Who knows?):

20221029_023036.jpg.d284be57e220fbf5cd410cf96200a168.jpg

The Toyota original oil strainer has the manufacture date stamped onto the metal part (6 15 21 = 15 June 2021).

And there's words FILTPAN stamped also onto the filter itself. On the other side there's a "Made in Mexico" stamped onto the plastic part as well (sorry no photo for that one), but the non-original one does not have any manufacture place stamped on it.

20221029_023047.jpg.ae1fb30b1d45faccdf584df97c72a308.jpg

• Praise 3

23 hours ago, Comage said:

Shhh... Keep it down Sir. I don't want to get into any legal trouble. 

What rubbish.  Must avoid. Never heard of this one during my audit of shops before I did mine. 

On 11/2/2022 at 6:56 AM, Comage said:

For those of you who may be skeptical about my experience:

1. Here is the receipt for the gearbox overhaul that was done in Aug-2022. Note the mention of a complete ATF flush (8 litres; although my vehicle is specced for 6.9lit).

20220820_134717.thumb.jpg.052af511ba4ef4a70390b78efeed95f1.jpg

2. When I drained the ATF out - it was completely dark and unclear (just 2+ months in of use).

To put things into perspective, I had only driven 1,400+km since this overhaul job.

20221029_011940.thumb.jpg.fed4812aee599758752c8eb8bbd4c6c9.jpg

3a. Took out the transmission pans, comparing it side by side with a new one that I bought to replace the existing one (to solve the leaking ATF problem):

20221029_020511.jpg.2d6429b6eca87b9467ecf3593106f2d8.jpg

4a. Notice that the gasket from the pan was warped - which was the cause of the leak.

20221029_020535.jpg.5d4cf3dc1c40a79dd5b3249754494a4b.jpg

4b. Again, to put things into perspective, see below picture of the same transmission pan in Mar-2019. The gasket that came down was not warped at all:

IMG20190312200938.thumb.jpg.e7fac2bb3e2034275652df75fbd4cc34.jpg

5. Filled up some of the ATF that I drained out into a bottle, for a side-by-side comparison of the fresh ATF that I was gonna put in. Now you guys tell me, does the fluid on the right look like "2-month old ATF"?

20221029_035923.thumb.jpg.d2b488fbe5e599882a0e2898434b50ec.jpg

Just curious, which stockist managed to get all these uncommon parts (transmission pan & transmission filter) for you?

I know where to go to overhaul MIL gearbox.

Does anyone know if they do brakes as well?

Go one place and one stone kill the old bird.

:D

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, t0y0ta said:

Just curious, which stockist managed to get all these uncommon parts (transmission pan & transmission filter) for you?

It's a Toyota, so it was Ric-Tat. If they stock it, it means it's not uncommon. 

Transmission filters are expendables, so they're considered fast moving, I suppose. 

The transmission pan, I know people don't usually change that unless they get some undercarriage damage. And people surely do not change it "for fun", or just to prove a point. 

I bought a new one just because I did not want to gamble with a bad pan (should my ATF leak be due to the gearbox guy screwing it up) after I drain the ATF and drop the pan and all that, then have to scratch my head trying to think of a "banana job" to patch it back with the gasket. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Comage said:

I guess the worst thing is - this contact wasn't a random Google search or a walk-in when I was looking for a gearbox guy to fix my transmission.

Getting conned by some random mechanic that you simply drove your car into for repair works - that's laughable right? (eh you never do your homework and check the reviews issit?)
Getting conned by a mechanic whom your friend trusted (he didn't know also), and recommends to you wholeheartedly because your friend know the mechanic guy - well, I am simply speechless to that.

I know there's really no recourse, and even going to CASE isn't going to help. And I wouldn't be surprised if you have 9 out of 10 gearbox guy workshops pulling such stunts as well.

And also, there's no way for the average Joe to verify what I had just showed above.

----------

Update: I forgot to mention the part about the transmission oil strainer (filter). Here is a side-by-side comparison when I took it out (the one he installed on the left, my new one from Toyota stockist on the right). Notice the difference in some of the engravings...

20221029_023022.jpg.51b14ef179ecb9f0b2e69ac330eeda71.jpg

The one the guy installed for me was did not have any markings at all - so I can only assume it was non-original Toyota oil strainer (OEM? Counterfeit? Who knows?):

20221029_023036.jpg.d284be57e220fbf5cd410cf96200a168.jpg

The Toyota original oil strainer has the manufacture date stamped onto the metal part (6 15 21 = 15 June 2021).

And there's words FILTPAN stamped also onto the filter itself. On the other side there's a "Made in Mexico" stamped onto the plastic part as well (sorry no photo for that one), but the non-original one does not have any manufacture place stamped on it.

20221029_023047.jpg.ae1fb30b1d45faccdf584df97c72a308.jpg

i think all these OEM parts, as long as they fit well,  we cannot fault them but it is the rest of what you mentioned are really bad of that guy. By the way, you have the facility and know how to to all these works, how come you still send your car to elsewhere for servicing ? 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

i think all these OEM parts, as long as they fit well,  we cannot fault them but it is the rest of what you mentioned are really bad of that guy. By the way, you have the facility and know how to to all these works, how come you still send your car to elsewhere for servicing ? 

You are very right indeed, Sir. I have nothing against OEM parts, but I have to clarify also that when I sent my car in for the transmission overhaul, I specifically asked the guy if he needs the spare parts:

- Toyota original ATF 

- Transmission oil filter

- Transmission pan gasket

I had all the parts already procured, ready to bring it in to him for the job. And I wasn't expecting him to discount any price for me "just because I brought my own spare parts". 

He told me "no need, it's included in the package" (for $2,000).

And then this shit happened. 

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

To the 2nd part of your comment/question - I only have some random tools that I gathered along the way. I'm a weekend wannabe-mechanic; I still have my day job. Some things like transmission overhaul where I need a hoist and a crane to support the thing, no choice need to let workshop do the heavy lifting.

Of course, I'd be interested to share my experience with the folks here as long as they find it useful - been sorta staying away from the other sub-forum here where discussions there don't really seem to interest me anymore...

• Praise 1

On 11/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, Fcw75 said:

Workshop name at the bottom of the invoice.

Invoice number is number 1. First customer of the year. 😅

Auto-Tronics? Never heard of this shop before

On 11/4/2022 at 12:15 AM, Comage said:

To the 2nd part of your comment/question - I only have some random tools that I gathered along the way. I'm a weekend wannabe-mechanic; I still have my day job. Some things like transmission overhaul where I need a hoist and a crane to support the thing, no choice need to let workshop do the heavy lifting.

Of course, I'd be interested to share my experience with the folks here as long as they find it useful - been sorta staying away from the other sub-forum here where discussions there don't really seem to interest me anymore...

Thanks for sharing, very insightful. 

• Praise 1

On 12/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, Mkl22 said:

I did mine at Jackson transmission. Replaced all the clutches and seals and rebuild the torque converter. They are one of the rare few who can rebuild the torque converter onsite. The rest of the shops send the torque converters out to machine shops to open up and then reseal and balance. 

Hi, happened to come across this review, how is Jackson servicing of gearbox or overhaul transmission? My nissan sylphy seems to have gearbox issue. How much is to overhaul the transmission or change gearbox? Thanks

35 minutes ago, Scorpiong said:

Hi, happened to come across this review, how is Jackson servicing of gearbox or overhaul transmission? My nissan sylphy seems to have gearbox issue. How much is to overhaul the transmission or change gearbox? Thanks

I did mine in 2019. All good. You need to check prices now. Was 3k plus then. For sure more now. 

• Praise 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, Scorpiong said:

Thank you!

Good luck, and watch out for the caveats that I had mentioned in my posts.

I do recall that it was weird that when I visited my gearbox guy at his workshop - there were no cans of ATF or spare parts like transmission pan gaskets lying around for those cars that were hoisted up in the middle of repairs... hmmm..

Also did not see any such empty/used cans lying around the trash area (which usually you would see at least a few lying around) - if they ever did keep new cans for filling up customer's recently-fixed gearboxes/transmissions...

5 minutes ago, Comage said:

I do recall that it was weird that when I visited my gearbox guy at his workshop - there were no cans of ATF or spare parts like transmission pan gaskets lying around for those cars that were hoisted up in the middle of repairs... hmmm..

Also did not see any such empty/used cans lying around the trash area (which usually you would see at least a few lying around) - if they ever did keep new cans for filling up customer's recently-fixed gearboxes/transmissions...

May I know which workshop you visited or can recommend a reliable and trusted workshop can fix thr gearbox/auto transmissions?

54 minutes ago, Comage said:

Sub out lor. Or black shop. Proper transmission shops will have dismantled transmissions all over. 
but I don’t like those that work on the floor with the transmission being torn up in large metal trays on the floor. A proper shop will do it on a workbench. 

Supercharged

the darker ATF colour could be from the grease they put on the bearings during overhaul, mixing with ATF

new clutch packs will darken the ATF a bit during run in too

I have seen engine oil drained from new car after 1,000km, it's as dirty as your ATF in the right bottle

I tikam, don't quote me 😁

20221029_035923.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1