Questions about Gearbox overhaul

Vextan

60k km should be quite new but you also mentioned Sunny, so how old is your car?

The fist thing to check is the transmission fluid, if it is low, top it up and you should be good to go. Otherwise, the car would need to be towed.

11 years young, I renewed COE for 10 years at $42,500

Googled and did check transmission fluid, it was at max level.

Mine is a manual car but I still prefer to change the gear box oil a bit more regularly.

Gear box oil is transmission fluid? Edited by Count-Bracula
↡ Advertisement

yalor . . . first owner. I have yet to send car for check.

Gearbox to fail at 60K km is quite unbelievable but sometimes things do happen beyond what we deem they should be

The coe was renewed at 42K & with the current pqp at 27.5K, I would not consider an overhaul on the gearbox if I am told it has a problem

Gearbox to fail at 60K km is quite unbelievable but sometimes things do happen beyond what we deem they should be

The coe was renewed at 42K & with the current pqp at 27.5K, I would not consider an overhaul on the gearbox if I am told it has a problem

ya bro, that's what I think but I simply cannot believe my GB conked at 60k,  [:|]

very likely to scrap and scouting for new car, Hyundai Avante or KIA Cerato  [smallcry]

My Swift gearbox just ki chia. Car doesn't move when engage D or R, no response. :TT_TT:

12 years old and 164000km.

Sent in to SW Auto Transmission at Sin Ming Autocity. Recommended by my regular mechanic.

Probably need to overhaul, will give FR when done.

Edited by Fcw75

56 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

My Swift gearbox just ki chia. Car doesn't move when engage D or R, no response. :TT_TT:

12 years old and 164000km.

Sent in to SW Auto Transmission at Sin Ming Autocity. Recommended by my regular mechanic.

Probably need to overhaul, will give FR when done.

No big deal, about 3 days down time and about 2+k, after that your car would be good to go on the road again. 

• Praise 1

49 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

No big deal, about 3 days down time and about 2+k, after that your car would be good to go on the road again. 

You kenna before? 

Haiz sian.

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

You kenna before? 

Haiz sian.

My Ody's autotran failed on the 9th year,  220k km at one year before end of COE,. I  paid $2.4k  to repair it when most of the people would have scrap it and buy another car. The boss of the workshop asked if I was sure, I said yes, after that the car lasted me till scrap. 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

My Ody's autotran failed on the 9th year,  220k km at one year before end of COE,. I  paid $2.4k  to repair it when most of the people would have scrap it and buy another car. The boss of the workshop asked if I was sure, I said yes, after that the car lasted me till scrap. 

Wow, so you paid $2.4K and drive for just a year?

No wonder the boss asked you.

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

can share which workshop you did your ody gearbox overhaul for reference?

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Swift maybe cheaper. Yah but 2-3days all done. Could get a used box which will then be 1day down time. But then he will take the risk if this used box will conk also. No one can guarantee more than 3-6mths than all will be fine. 
thus rebuild is the safest. 

• Praise 3

10 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Wow, so you paid $2.4K and drive for just a year?

No wonder the boss asked you.

My reason was simple, if I will to sell the car at 9th year, it will be scrap value, meaning I will lose 9k depre of the 9th year, by spending 2.4k, I was quite sure the car will go on the road without further repair  because I have been maintaining  it. The choice was obvious. 

Some people are quite worried about gearbox defect,  they will quickly sell their car at loss, in fact there is nothing to worry about,  it is just wear and tear and can be repaired.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, StreamRSZ said:

can share which workshop you did your ody gearbox overhaul for reference?

Hi PMed.  But please do some research as I only repaired there once. Ultimately auto trans wont go bad too often. I remember they gave 1 year or at least 6 month warranty,  do check it out too. Gave you 2 more shops for ref as well. Basically they will replace all the wear and tear items which will come in whole set called repair kit, the pinions( gears) wont spoils so they will put them all back after cleaning , conduct a vacuum  test before mounting the gear box back. 

Edited by Ct3833

42 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Hi PMed.  But please do some research as I only repaired there once. Ultimately auto trans wont go bad too often. I remember they gave 1 year or at least 6 month warranty,  do check it out too. Gave you 2 more shops for ref as well. Basically they will replace all the wear and tear items which will come in whole set called repair kit, the pinions( gears) wont spoils so they will put them all back after cleaning , conduct a vacuum  test before mounting the gear box back. 

I did mine at Jackson transmission. Replaced all the clutches and seals and rebuild the torque converter. They are one of the rare few who can rebuild the torque converter onsite. The rest of the shops send the torque converters out to machine shops to open up and then reseal and balance. 

Neutral Newbie

How many-speed automatic transmission are you? A 4-speed automatic transmission is about $ 1,400, and a BMW 6-speed automatic transmission is about $ 2,000! for reference only.

To settle this mass debate on put in neutral or not when red light

all the people who gearbox up lorry and need to repair I would like to ask

whether you put in neutral or just keep their foot on the brake car gear in D.

Also maybe the people who did 400,000 km you put in neutral or not?

:grin: