Questions about Gearbox overhaul

Vextan

Need some advice. Recently my Toyota Picnic (2007) slow to engage gear when I start. When I press the accelerator, I can hear the engine rev but the gear does not engage immediately. It revs for a couple of seconds and then the gear finally engage with a jerk forward.  At traffic light when I stop I usually shift to neutral, and shift back to D when the light change but sometimes the engine will rev up but the gear does not engage immediately.  There is a slight delay and then it catches on and jerk forward.  Sometimes when driving on highway I feel the car revving up but the gear does not change higher gear.

I checked and the transmission fluid is at the right "hot" level when the engine is hot, and still a orangy-pinkish color.

What is the issue?

↡ Advertisement

55 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

Need some advice. Recently my Toyota Picnic (2007) slow to engage gear when I start. When I press the accelerator, I can hear the engine rev but the gear does not engage immediately. It revs for a couple of seconds and then the gear finally engage with a jerk forward.  At traffic light when I stop I usually shift to neutral, and shift back to D when the light change but sometimes the engine will rev up but the gear does not engage immediately.  There is a slight delay and then it catches on and jerk forward.  Sometimes when driving on highway I feel the car revving up but the gear does not change higher gear.

I checked and the transmission fluid is at the right "hot" level when the engine is hot, and still a orangy-pinkish color.

What is the issue?

Not to scare you but sooner or later you can rev and rev but the car won't even move. Put D and R also no response.

Happened to me before, went for gearbox overhaul. Mine was a 2007 Suzuki Swift, happened during the 12th year.  Mine was $1600, downtime 4 days.

This money cannot save, unfortunately. Just wear and tear. My mileage then was 160000km. What’s yours now?

Edited by Fcw75

34 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

What is the issue?

your auto trans is worn out, needs a major serviceing. Your car will stop to move soon. Send it to the auto transmission workshop  ,  they will replace all the service kits, all will be good after  spending 2+k with 3 to 4 days downtime .

• Praise 1

I called my regular mechanic in JB who usually service the car. He said it is the torque converter problem, may need to replace torque converter. What is the price to replace torque converter for Toyota Picnic in SG?

My mileage is about 200k. COE extended till June 2022. 

25 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

I called my regular mechanic in JB who usually service the car. He said it is the torque converter problem, may need to replace torque converter. What is the price to replace torque converter for Toyota Picnic in SG?

My mileage is about 200k. COE extended till June 2022. 

Have to do some research and call a few. 

Oh, less than 2 years left...damn.

Here’s the one I went. 

Good luck.

776DAC6B-8448-4CE3-9129-07A34F6265EE.png

Edited by Fcw75

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Not to scare you but sooner or later you can rev and rev but the car won't even move. Put D and R also no response.

Happened to me before, went for gearbox overhaul. Mine was a 2007 Suzuki Swift, happened during the 12th year.  Mine was $1600, downtime 4 days.

This money cannot save, unfortunately. Just wear and tear. My mileage then was 160000km. What’s yours now?

What was the root cause and which part or parts were replaced during the overhaul? 

8 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

What was the root cause and which part or parts were replaced during the overhaul? 

To be frank, I never ask in detail...haha. They can tell me this and this were replaced but I would never know anyway. 

As long as working well after overhaul, I OK liao.

Another one I know is Eclipse Auto Transmission at AMK Autopoint.

Edited by Fcw75

31 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Have to do some research and call a few. 

Oh, less than 2 years left...damn.

Here’s the one I went. 

Good luck.

I wonder can last another 15 months or not....then scrap and get new car.

My mechanic tells me its because I kept putting the gear into N at traffic light.  He suggested keeping it at D all the time till you end journey.

31 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

4 minutes ago, VictorLim said:

I wonder can last another 15 months or not....then scrap and get new car.

My mechanic tells me its because I kept putting the gear into N at traffic light.  He suggested keeping it at D all the time till you end journey.

15 months is quite a long time. It’s those to repair or not to repair scenario. 

Yes, what he said might be true. I read before too. Better not to keep shifting to N at traffic lights.

58 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

To be frank, I never ask in detail...haha. They can tell me this and this were replaced but I would never know anyway. 

As long as working well after overhaul, I OK liao.

Another one I know is Eclipse Auto Transmission at AMK Autopoint.

有钱人就是不一样😝

I is the boh lui lang...if for me... I would ask  just enuf of every detail otherwise tio kick out of the workshop...in order to take out my skinny wallet...

infamous ford power shift gearbox issues could be rectified as easy as a software reset, or fluid change, or seal and/or damper spring to solenoids or clutch plates replacement...various degree of “overhaul” warrants different charges...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

有钱人就是不一样😝

I is the boh lui lang...if for me... I would ask  just enuf of every detail otherwise tio kick out of the workshop...in order to take out my skinny wallet...

infamous ford power shift gearbox issues could be rectified as easy as a software reset, or fluid change, or seal and/or damper spring to solenoids or clutch plates replacement...various degree of “overhaul” warrants different charges...

No la bro, I also boh lui but bo pian one. The car totally can’t move and have to tow there. They can tell me they changed the torque converter, clutch, etc I also have to believe them. If it’s something outside like an alternator, drive shaft, etc then I would want to see it. 

Oh I do have the receipt.

It’s Overhaul kit, torque converter (recon), service valve body, intermediate plate, friction clutch, AT filter and AT oil plus labour charge.

They can write all these but whether all is changed I won’t know coz can’t see.

😁

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

No la bro, I also boh lui but bo pian one. The car totally can’t move and have to tow there. They can tell me they changed the torque converter, clutch, etc I also have to believe them. If it’s something outside like an alternator, drive shaft, etc then I would want to see it. 

Oh I do have the receipt.

It’s Overhaul kit, torque converter (recon), service valve body, intermediate plate, friction clutch, AT filter and AT oil plus labour charge.

They can write all these but whether all is changed I won’t know coz can’t see.

😁

That’s considered reasonable at 1.6k based on the work done. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

15 months is quite a long time. It’s those to repair or not to repair scenario. 

Yes, what he said might be true. I read before too. Better not to keep shifting to N at traffic lights.

Many years ago I serviced my odyssey's Autotrans when it was left a year to scrap😀

It was a easy decision, I spend 2.3k to repair and drive for a year vs I write off  the 1 year depreciation . I choose the cheaper option. Boh Lui to the extreme 😅😅

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Many years ago I serviced my odyssey's Autotrans when it was left a year to scrap😀

It was a easy decision, I spend 2.3k to repair and drive for a year vs I write off  the 1 year depreciation . I choose the cheaper option. Boh Lui to the extreme 😅😅

I also ever kena an easy decision to make...

dead battery one week to scrap...Paid 120 for an used one to tide over...otherwise, $40 for tow, then 5x$60 for 5 days rental... 

120 vs 340 plus hassle of updating the  HDB parking detail, get and return rental car...

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

dead battery one week to scrap...Paid 120 for an used one to tide over...otherwise, $40 for tow, then 5x$60 for 5 days rental... 

120 vs 340 plus hassle of updating the  HDB parking detail, get and return rental car...

Yah, unlike some rich MCFers who will change car when tyre Pongchet😆😆

• Haha! 3

7 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Alternative get the lithium battery jump starter. Everytime open bonnet to jump start. You get to keep the jump starter after scrapping! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2