Comparing fuel Consumption b/w Merc, BMW and audi

Smurfs

So good...

Average 10km/L for conti is very good already

Did a 20km on highway and best was 17km/L

Normally stop go traffic only 5km/L

↡ Advertisement

Shouldn’t driver who owns one of the 3 care less on FC? Hahha.... this is a thread for Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc where every 0.1l/100km less is an achievement. Me inclusive

• Praise 1

Sorry, I do not agree with you.

There is a charm of a faster (sometimes heavier) car, yet can provide a good FC. As an engineer, I can really appreciate such engineering. Its easy to create an engine that make more power, just bigger CC or a big turbo, but to get good power, yet good FC, & low CO2 emission, is not easy.

Moreover, It means less travel to the pump, especially good for people that need to travel long mileage often (say at least 150km one direction).

My current TFSI 1.8 Audi A3 (which weight in neighborhood of 1.5T) have better fuel efficiency than my first car, Lancer 1.6l GLX (which weight like 1.25T). I did not even try hard to be fuel efficient. To top it off, it required servicing (include oil change) every 30,000km, compare to 10,000 for my lancer. It was much much more powerful as well. The low end torque for Daily driving is almost as good as my previous evo with 425bhp.

My evo no need to say, need to visit the pump every 4-5 days, & constantly look at the fuel gauge.

Although, admittedly the context is a little different, but still you can't deny advancement.

I myself also find it hard to believe, but these modern Direct injection, FI engines found in many German Autos are really fantastic. That is why Engines from BMW & VAG keep winning those engine of the year awards. Merc I am not sure.

Yes, this is truly a statement from car engineering enthusiast. I am one such sucker that read details of engine developement (not to R&D level) and lately, i chose a car with newer engine than one with more proven and slightly more powerful at the expense of other features. I always have good feeling on cars from VAG and BMw for their drivetrain marvel. They are always able to squeeze more in term of speed, fc and refinement compare to higher output engine yet poorer in many of aspect mentioned. Bravo post.
↡ Advertisement