High cost of living in SG

Speedz76

Are we priced out of living in SG?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Are we priced out of living in SG?

• OMFG, of course we are!!
    • No, its very affordable living here
    • I dun really care

2 hours ago, Kusje said:

3 kids and still can be single income.

salute sifu!

means 1 single income = 3 MCFers combined ? [sly]  [laugh]  

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

I think food in mature estate is still reasonable. $3 to $4 for a meal and its nice. Its usually those newer estate that charges exorbitant prices and its shabbily prepared. 

• Praise 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:28 PM, Icedbs said:

Food court prices are quite expensive thesedays.

I always eat outside and I certainly feel it. Even HDB food stalls at central areas are not cheap anymore. 

2 person easily $11-$13 with one drink.  I cannot imagine those parents with 2-3 kids. One meal at the food court easily $20-$30 for 4-5 pax?

don't complain about outside food. 

we are already considered one of the cheapest for food options in the world, for any 1st world country status.

Find me a 1st world country where you can buy a decent square meal for SGD$5 and you have plenty of variety of food options.

u think JB or MY is cheap?  well, it's cheap for us, but if u take RM salary pay and try living on it, u will find it a real struggle.

Imagine your RM pay is 3000 per month, and u are paying RM8-RM10 for a bowl of noodles.

The real expensive thing in SG is housing and car.  The rest are cheap.

For car, you can live without it.  if no car, your personal expense is cut down by alot. 

For housing, yes it's expensive but if stay in HDB, it's really manageable 

• Praise 11

4 hours ago, Victor68 said:

Frankly food is not the most expensive item in your daily expenses. Housing is but it was deducted up front from your salary thus you just don't feel it. If you calculate how much you have been paying for that roof over your head, you will know where your income goes.

Is not really an expense as the value is there or even higher after you complete the mortgage payment.

• Praise 1

33 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

means 1 single income = 3 MCFers combined ? [sly]  [laugh]  

imagine 1 income can support 3 kids (with tuition, expensive golfing or tennis cca coach, overseas outing with sch!) and 1 taitai wife (never count xiaosan).

How much is he making?

9 minutes ago, Kusje said:

imagine 1 income can support 3 kids (with tuition, expensive golfing or tennis cca coach, overseas outing with sch!) and 1 taitai wife (never count xiaosan).

How much is he making?

wah o&g high flyer...your imagination very tokong

no wonder can be so successful...stay atas dk ec

🤗

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ichibawa said:

Zhi char was $3 (small) $6(medium) a year ago. Now its $5(small) and $10(medium).

Huh. I haven't seen 3 dollar zi char for ten years Liao. 

• Haha! 2

15 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah o&g high flyer...your imagination very tokong

no wonder can be so successful...stay atas dk ec

🤗

Thank for sifu for your appreciation.

Let me know when you have a position for me.

3 hours ago, Showster said:

Is not really an expense as the value is there or even higher after you complete the mortgage payment.

Are you part of the minster that promise HDB is an appreciation asset. Haha

31 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Are you part of the minster that promise HDB is an appreciation asset. Haha

No appreciation also have value retention right? Even sell with loss, still have 80 or 90% value.

Its unlike any of your other real expenses.

• Praise 1

In singapore, lousy stuff is still cheap

but once you move up a bit on the Quality scale the price explodes.

look at Japan, excellent quality food for $5 to $7 can be had anywhere in TOkyo even CBD.  In singapore, its double that for same quality

• Praise 2

anything that is managed by group like koufu, kopitiam, food republic, simi sai where the worker is mainly prc managing the stall who dont give a damn food taste and quality ...

that’s where the mismatch of price up, quality down 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

In singapore, lousy stuff is still cheap

but once you move up a bit on the Quality scale the price explodes.

look at Japan, excellent quality food for $5 to $7 can be had anywhere in TOkyo even CBD.  In singapore, its double that for same quality

ya boss... that’s why i am a cheapskate 

😬😅

its difficult for big bosses to get cheap and good food within cbd la. 

Can't be seen sitting down in hawker center w/o aircon by their staff - how to get $5 bowl of food?

2 hours ago, Showster said:

No appreciation also have value retention right? Even sell with loss, still have 80 or 90% value.

Its unlike any of your other real expenses.

You bought a HDB when you are 30, after staying for say 35 years at 65 years old, you sell you probably need to stay with your children. Otherwise you go into some scheme that governments pays you some pocket money right? So, i am not sure if you considered that a good investment. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

You bought a HDB when you are 30, after staying for say 35 years at 65 years old, you sell you probably need to stay with your children. Otherwise you go into some scheme that governments pays you some pocket money right? So, i am not sure if you considered that a good investment. 

You buy a plate of chicken rice; after eating, are you able to exchange the bones for anything???

The stored value when you are 55 can be used for upgrade or moving.

At 65, you can downsize or migrate to release the stored power. Options still abound.

At your passing, you also will have a grateful descendant if you did not take up any of the options.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 2

release the Kraken ... 

spore style no $1M no talk

$1M is the new poor in spore! huat ah!

At 65, you can downsize or migrate to release the stored power. Options still abound.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement