High cost of living in SG

Speedz76

Are we priced out of living in SG?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Are we priced out of living in SG?

• OMFG, of course we are!!
    • No, its very affordable living here
    • I dun really care

FWIW, I'm living in the U.S. now. The tax rates are ridiculously much higher, even though houses and cars are cheaper in the suburbs and smaller cities. In big cities like New York, its still ridiculously expensive. Healthcare is practically non-existent unless you have a job and insurance (that's what Obama is trying to change). Gasoline is no longer as affordable it was before, $3.20 per gallon of V-power. Still cheaper than Singapore, but much closer now. Loans are harder to get and because of high tax rates, most people do not have big savings so if you haven't got a good credit history to get mortage, you continue to rent your house which is not really cheaper than Singapore and there is no HDB option unless you are rated really low-income like $600 per household or something which is lower than even our poly graduate salary, then you can rent those aided apartments.

Suggest young Singaporeans to go out and see the real world before complaining about not getting a job, or competing with foreigners. I see young Americans start early in the day at 6am, work harder and more independent than many of our lazy ass Singaporeans (sorry for being crude but true - there are exceptions of course but compare good to good now, no need to compare with bad apples). I went to career fairs only to see Singaporean graduates arrive after noon, and all the best places taken up by PRs and foreigners from 8am the career fair starts in the morning. Yes, there are things that suck in Singapore, but its not HDB or foreign competition. If you can quality for HDB, go for it - its currently tied to married couples so that's another issue altogether.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

very good.... 1 post and it shuts everyone up. [thumbsup]

SG people, especially most youngsters, nowadays wants everything but dun want to scarifice anything...

Turbocharged

If you take a starting point to compare, i think many of us here are at a higher chance to do better than foreigners of our age living in Singapore.

disagree. as a starting point some foreigners have strong financial backing and have good network just like some singaporeans who have strong financial backing and network

which again boils down to my earlier point and that is that govt does make a difference but we ourselves make the bigger difference.

agree. so govt does make a difference

you are hitting a dead horse here with your analogy. There are more singaporean here who have stronger finanial backing and good network as compare to the foreigners. If you are not one of those singaporean, does not mean that there is non in singapore.

Another thing to note, how come you, being a singaporean living in singapore will loss out interm of network to a foreigners coming to work and live in singapore?

The only thing we should blame the government is that why are they not regulating the PR scheme properly? why are we seeing many medicore FW becoming PR?

Hypersonic

singaporean boys who served ns will always be behind by 2 years financially..... if you compare apple with apple

ofcourse singaporean boys can make up for the deficit with extra hardwork but that is like comparing orange with apple

not true?

2 years in NS is not wasted if you have the right attitude.. The right attitude is what gets you ahead in life, not the loss of 2 yrs of NS.

With wrong attidue, I agree you'll waste 2 yrs in NS or your whole life. Just look at those who pick up 'keng' skill in army, they usually bring their 'keng' attitude to work life and usually don't get far.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

2 years in NS is not wasted if you have the right attitude.. The right attitude is what gets you ahead in life, not the loss of 2 yrs of NS.

With wrong attidue, I agree you'll waste 2 yrs in NS or your whole life. Just look at those who pick up 'keng' skill in army, they usually bring their 'keng' attitude to work life and usually don't get far.

[thumbsup] I agree. I know and work ex-regular who are being discharge by Army (you can imagine how bad the person have to be in order to be discharge my Army) totally CMI. [shakehead]

You very sure once the vote is against PAP, Singaporean will not have all these kind of s**t?

Cannot assumed if voting against... will get better. But if you never try, how will you know if it will not be better...

All aroudn the world, the oppositions, or alternative parties are gaining power and notably so. Look at UK's latest....matter of time when it will hit us here

I will work and stay in SG.....

But i wont be retiring over here....

If i were to retire here,

at which age would i be retiring?

Maybe 70?

In SG, its a too expensive place to retire at.....

You very sure once the vote is against PAP, Singaporean will not have all these kind of s**t?

I believe when most people say vote wisely in the next GE, Singaporeans want to see more seats in the parliament being occupied by the opposition to voice out opinion and checks on the policies that the ruling government is implementing. A few notable cases that checks and opinions will be an advantage to Singapore as a whole is the increase of minister's pay, the investment profits and loss of our GLC and also to where and what kind of reserves we have? When there is no strong enough voices in parliament that can tell the ruling party: "look, we think this is not appropriate, lets discuss it." I believe that a majority of policies that are in place now will be rejected! When our previous president, the late Mr Ong requested to view our reserves, he was not only rebuffed but also made to suffer in silence. If we as Singaporeans manage to get opposition to have a better say, we at least know where our money is. Is it in Gold, is it in Bonds or is it used to invest in other countries projects!

There are many policies that can be changed to allow us Singaporeans to have a better way of life. I for one am receptive to not topple the ruling party but to allow more voices from the opposition to have a say in parliament! There may be still S**t as you say, but with good and sound opposition members, I believe that the manure that we are getting will be lessened by 25% if not 50%.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

(edited)

people vote for the opposition not mainly because they think the opposition is good (after all they were not proven), but because they think the ruling party is bad. but when the opposition is in power, the same thing happens over time. Because no one is ever happy with what they have .

Edited by Vextan

If you don't try, you will continue with this s--t.

If you try. you might get yourself into bigger sh*t!

What do you expect the opp to do to get you out of this sh*t?

I believe when most people say vote wisely in the next GE, Singaporeans want to see more seats in the parliament being occupied by the opposition to voice out opinion and checks on the policies that the ruling government is implementing. A few notable cases that checks and opinions will be an advantage to Singapore as a whole is the increase of minister's pay, the investment profits and loss of our GLC and also to where and what kind of reserves we have? When there is no strong enough voices in parliament that can tell the ruling party: "look, we think this is not appropriate, lets discuss it." I believe that a majority of policies that are in place now will be rejected! When our previous president, the late Mr Ong requested to view our reserves, he was not only rebuffed but also made to suffer in silence. If we as Singaporeans manage to get opposition to have a better say, we at least know where our money is. Is it in Gold, is it in Bonds or is it used to invest in other countries projects!

There are many policies that can be changed to allow us Singaporeans to have a better way of life. I for one am receptive to not topple the ruling party but to allow more voices from the opposition to have a say in parliament! There may be still S**t as you say, but with good and sound opposition members, I believe that the manure that we are getting will be lessened by 25% if not 50%.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

Smart guy you are! :D

If you try. you might get yourself into bigger sh*t!

What do you expect the opp to do to get you out of this sh*t?

Isn't the sh**t is getting bigger and bigger day by day, year by year. Like I said earlier, I used to love SG (ah gong), but not anymore now ..... [hur]

Isn't the sh**t is getting bigger and bigger day by day, year by year. Like I said earlier, I used to love SG (ah gong), but not anymore now ..... [hur]

since you are so unhappy here and doesnt love your country, pls do yourself a favour by leaving.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

FWIW, I'm living in the U.S. now. The tax rates are ridiculously much higher, even though houses and cars are cheaper in the suburbs and smaller cities. In big cities like New York, its still ridiculously expensive. Healthcare is practically non-existent unless you have a job and insurance (that's what Obama is trying to change). Gasoline is no longer as affordable it was before, $3.20 per gallon of V-power. Still cheaper than Singapore, but much closer now. Loans are harder to get and because of high tax rates, most people do not have big savings so if you haven't got a good credit history to get mortage, you continue to rent your house which is not really cheaper than Singapore and there is no HDB option unless you are rated really low-income like $600 per household or something which is lower than even our poly graduate salary, then you can rent those aided apartments.

Suggest young Singaporeans to go out and see the real world before complaining about not getting a job, or competing with foreigners. I see young Americans start early in the day at 6am, work harder and more independent than many of our lazy ass Singaporeans (sorry for being crude but true - there are exceptions of course but compare good to good now, no need to compare with bad apples). I went to career fairs only to see Singaporean graduates arrive after noon, and all the best places taken up by PRs and foreigners from 8am the career fair starts in the morning. Yes, there are things that suck in Singapore, but its not HDB or foreign competition. If you can quality for HDB, go for it - its currently tied to married couples so that's another issue altogether.

So your point is to tell people to shut up and accept anything that the govt shove up our a-----es? People do have choices to be happy and you are CRUDE. You think you have seen the world? I give you that. But you left out (purposely) what's the base salary over there...and you're talking about BIG cities like New York.In US people can choose to move elsewhere within the country. In SGP? Go Pulau Ubin ah? Since you're living there kindly compare the SAME jobs Americans do there and the ones Sinkaporean do here...the salary and benefits. Thanks for enlightening us frogs in a well. [rolleyes]

Edited by Patronic

So your point is to tell people to shut up and accept anything that the govt shove up our a-----es? You left out what's the base salary over there...and you're talking about BIG cities like New York.In US people can choose to move elsewhere within the country. In SGP? Go Pulau Ubin ah? Since you're living there kindly compare the jobs Americans do there and the ones Sinkaporean do here...the salary and benefits. Thanks for enlightening us frogs in a well. [rolleyes]

Thks bro, same thinking and sentiment :D

↡ Advertisement