Merc cab driver...I hope you get yourself killed soon

Porkerlover

Neutral Newbie

I was driving along the PIE in Lane 1(fast lane) Sat morning at about 1 am when I hit that spot just after Eng Neo where there's a speed camera. Knowing that there's a speed camera coming up, I kept my speed between 80 to 90kmh in anticipation of the camera. A Merc cab starts tailgating me from behind and starts flashing his lights trying to force me to speed up. Perhaps it was late and I didn't like being harassed like that. So I allowed him to speed past me. I admit what I did next aggravated the whole situation. I turned on my highbeam and left it on.

What he did next in return was the most psychotic thing I've ever seen on the road. He slammed on his brakes till we nearly stopped on Lane 1 of the expressway. I had to brake so hard I think my ABS came on and I really thought I was going to hit him because by the time I slowed enough, I was just inches from his bumper. If you thought I was tailgating him, I wasn't. He literally just slammed on his brakes. I was literally shaking after the incident cause I never expected anyone in his right frame of mind to do something like that on the expressway while traveling at 90kmh.

I'm angry with myself that I couldn't remember his license plate number other than that it starts with SHB cause I was quite tired that night. But I'm not sure what could've been done even if I did take down his LP number. Can or will the taxi company deal with him severely?

I think the biggest lesson I learnt from this incident is that there're many psychotic drivers on the road who have no respect for human life. I admit that I aggravated the incident but for someone to do something like that is insane. I guess my lesson is that it's better to leave this psychos to drive whatever way they like and just have a safe journey ourselves.

Pple...I would appreciate it if you kept unkind comments about my driving to yourselves. I found this incident very disturbing and just wanted to share it for others to learn from my mistake.

↡ Advertisement

driving in singapore is not for everyone....

and because of such crazy people who will just brake out of a sudden, i'll always keep a min of 3 cars distance away when travelling on the expressway....

this is a very common stunt chut by taxi drivers.... especially those in their 30s and 40s

i seen it alot of times liao... taxi against taxi (not happy passenger kena snatch), taxi against taxi private car (no happy never give way).. and more....

when you see them trying hard to get in front of you and deliberately slowing down, then you better keen your distance away from him

If the taxi want to speed and captured by the the speed camera, let him. By switching on your high beam does agitated the driver.

i have the habit of letting faster car go as long as i am on lane 1.

If I am tired, I will simply drive at limit at lane 2 where possible.

So, if you make it a habit to glance back for cars trying to overtake u on 1,

u wouldn't be in the position. Ditto when the reverse is true.

If everyone follow this rule, sg rd wld be much friendlier.

I am not commenting on road hogging and overtaking. U already know where u stand.

Thread Starter started the whole battle and yet not happy about being jammed brake? If I were the merc driver, I make sure u pay for my bumper cos my e-brake is solid

I think you better reflect on your driving attitude first before criticizing other road users.

so what if there is a speed camera ? who needs you to slow down to 80/90 km/h and block cars coming from behind.

(edited)

I was driving along the PIE in Lane 1(fast lane) Sat morning at about 1 am when I hit that spot just after Eng Neo where there's a speed camera. Knowing that there's a speed camera coming up, I kept my speed between 80 to 90kmh in anticipation of the camera. A Merc cab starts tailgating me from behind and starts flashing his lights trying to force me to speed up. Perhaps it was late and I didn't like being harassed like that. So I allowed him to speed past me. I admit what I did next aggravated the whole situation. I turned on my highbeam and left it on.

What he did next in return was the most psychotic thing I've ever seen on the road. He slammed on his brakes till we nearly stopped on Lane 1 of the expressway. I had to brake so hard I think my ABS came on and I really thought I was going to hit him because by the time I slowed enough, I was just inches from his bumper. If you thought I was tailgating him, I wasn't. He literally just slammed on his brakes. I was literally shaking after the incident cause I never expected anyone in his right frame of mind to do something like that on the expressway while traveling at 90kmh.

I'm angry with myself that I couldn't remember his license plate number other than that it starts with SHB cause I was quite tired that night. But I'm not sure what could've been done even if I did take down his LP number. Can or will the taxi company deal with him severely?

I think the biggest lesson I learnt from this incident is that there're many psychotic drivers on the road who have no respect for human life. I admit that I aggravated the incident but for someone to do something like that is insane. I guess my lesson is that it's better to leave this psychos to drive whatever way they like and just have a safe journey ourselves.

Pple...I would appreciate it if you kept unkind comments about my driving to yourselves. I found this incident very disturbing and just wanted to share it for others to learn from my mistake.

Have you read what you written in the last 2 sentences of your 1st paragraph?

"I admit what I did next aggravated the whole situation. I turned on my highbeam and left it on."

Bro, you instigated this whole thing and want to blame the taxi driver? Hello?

Edited by Garis

1am and u r travelling at 80-90KM on LANE 1????!!!!

Don't you think u r road hogging? It doesn't matter whether the taxi is speeding or rushing? If u intend to travel at that kind of speed u should stay in lane 2. ANYWAY, lane 1 is meant for fast moving n over taking vehicle. R u consisdered one at that point of time?

That's the problem with Singapore drivers. 1am the road should be quite clear. If u r crusing 80-90KM, u should go to lane 2. Juz becoz ppl chut stunt at u n u comes in here to cry as if u r the victim, then i think its not right.

Bottomline is dun bother ppl speeding, got camera or not, they can tahan kana fine or caught its thier busineess.. So long as ppl behind u is faster, juz make way to lane 2 n comes back after the "faster" car is gone. U won't lose anything at all, n yr blood pressure still remains normal. my 2 cents.

Hypersonic
(edited)

People flash you, you just let him pass. Going behind him and high beaming is unnecessary if you are not prepared to handle the consequences. That's why you feel disturb. Want to KL, make sure you're up to it.

Edited by Ender

good that you pointed out that at 1am the road should be clear....

then shouldn't the taxi just overtake on the left instead??? afterall this isn't the first time he would be doing such a thing...

i suppose the taxi driver is in a hurry or in an emergency....

if he's really in such a situation, he should just overtake on the left when he saw TS on the 1st lane, going at 90kph only....

it's really the taxi driver's fault for e-braking after he had overtaken TS....

but then again, at 1am, can't TS just swerve to lane 2 to avoid the near-collision???

Bro, ehhh . . what you did was not only dangerous to yourself but to other road users as well.

Chill out lah, slow down and keep to 2nd lane . . . if others want to have their photos taken, let them lor. [laugh]

Turbocharged

You opening title dont show that you have learn from your mistake. [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

good that you pointed out that at 1am the road should be clear....

then shouldn't the taxi just overtake on the left instead??? afterall this isn't the first time he would be doing such a thing...

i suppose the taxi driver is in a hurry or in an emergency....

if he's really in such a situation, he should just overtake on the left when he saw TS on the 1st lane, going at 90kph only....

it's really the taxi driver's fault for e-braking after he had overtaken TS....

but then again, at 1am, can't TS just swerve to lane 2 to avoid the near-collision???

why should he?

↡ Advertisement