Top Chinese execs change names to Indian names to fit in‏

Viceroymenthol

NEW DELHI: Chetan Chen is into technology, Deepak Xu handles marketing, and Deepika Fang is a network systems pro. And when their company needs to reach out to the public, Rajeev Yao gets into the picture.

Welcome to the charm offensive of Huawei India, a firm that is on the radars of the Indian security establishment by virtue of its place of incorporation, the People

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

On the face of it, this sounds weird, but if you think about it, it's no different from "Chan Liping" becoming "Candice Chan" to promote business in an Angmoh country. Heck, there are many fake "Candices" here at home too. Many Chinese seem happy to assume Xian names, even without the attendant faith.

No offence to anyone actually named Candice or Chan Liping here. [:/][laugh]

To me, the worst offender in recent memory is "Foyce" Le Xuan. Yeah, like that's even a real name anywhere else in the world. And she had such a cute original Chinese name too, Hui Hui, IIRC.

Edited by Turboflat4

(edited)

Very shrew move.

When in Rome, speak as Romans do.

The Chinese, in general are very adaptive people.

Don't forget:

Some Indians are still fuming and suspicious of the Chinese after having lost the Sino-Indian War in 1962.

To survive in a protective and complex business environment like India is already a milestone.

Edited by Wishcumstrue

On the face of it, this sounds weird, but if you think about it, it's no different from "Chan Liping" becoming "Candice Chan" to promote business in an Angmoh country. Heck, there are many fake "Candices" here at home too. Many Chinese seem happy to assume Xian names, even without the attendant faith.

No offence to anyone actually named Candice or Chan Liping here. [:/][laugh]

To me, the worst offender in recent memory is "Foyce" Le Xuan. Yeah, like that's even a real name anywhere else in the world. And she had such a cute original Chinese name too, Hui Hui, IIRC.

there used to be someone called Simon Lee Pee here though...

"Hui Hui" sounds very cheena lian-ish... no offence bro :D

The Chinese, in general are very adaptive people.

Sometime it is a matter of survival. In the past, the Indonesian Chinese have no choice but to forsake their Chinese new for Malay name. So what that Deepak has done is really nothing new and in noway comparable to the Chinese who have to give up their dignity to stay alive.

Regards,

Sometime it is a matter of survival. In the past, the Indonesian Chinese have no choice but to forsake their Chinese new for Malay name. So what that Deepak has done is really nothing new and in noway comparable to the Chinese who have to give up their dignity to stay alive.Regards,

Not entirely correct:

Indonesian Chinese was forced to assimilated into the Indonesia culture has more to do with political reasons in 1967 rather than race/ethnic driven.

After the Suharto era, many have openly learn Mandarin, resume Chinese-related cultural practice and even open Chinese-medium schools.

At the same time, their sense of being part of Indonesia is stronger than before.

Kind of like being accepted in your own country and getting respected, yeah?

So in a way, even-though the Chinese Indonesians rights were taken away, they didn't lost their dignity after having experience discrimination, violence and injustice.

Sorry for OT here [:p]

Not entirely correct:

Indonesian Chinese was forced to assimilated into the Indonesia culture has more to do with political reasons in 1967 rather than race/ethnic driven.

After the Suharto era, many have openly learn Mandarin, resume Chinese-related cultural practice and even open Chinese-medium schools.

At the same time, their sense of being part of Indonesia is stronger than before.

Kind of like being accepted in your own country and getting respected, yeah?

So in a way, even-though the Chinese Indonesians rights were taken away, they didn't lost their dignity after having experience discrimination, violence and injustice.

Sorry for OT here [:p]

My point is, I don't find Chinese taking up Indian name, a novelty, whether politically or business driven [laugh].

Erm..I think you must live (assimilate) to know the "way of life" there. I was an Indonesian Chinese [cool].

Regards,

Supersonic

there used to be someone called Simon Lee Pee here though...

"Hui Hui" sounds very cheena lian-ish... no offence bro :D

Why would I be offended? I'm not even Chinese. :D But I do think Hui Hui is a lot cuter than the made-up "Foyce".

I think one should be proud of one's culture - but should stop well short of xenophobia.

Why would I be offended? I'm not even Chinese. :D But I do think Hui Hui is a lot cuter than the made-up "Foyce".

I think one should be proud of one's culture - but should stop well short of xenophobia.

does hui hui remind you of the cute chinese waitress at dinner who kept pouring tea on your crotch then attempting to mop up? [laugh]

yeah one should be AWARE of one's cultural background. however i would stop short of "being proud" as it could easily turn into cultural chauvinism and ethno/cultural-centricism where no effort to understand or adapt to alien culture is attempted.

My point is, I don't find Chinese taking up Indian name, a novelty, whether politically or business driven [laugh] .

Erm..I think you must live (assimilate) to know the "way of life" there. I was an Indonesian Chinese [cool] .

Regards,

i don't think anybody finds it a novelty.

the article was written perhaps to show how much of an influence the indian market has on foreign investors and expats who work there...

don't think you will find indians or malays working in china adopting a chinese name.

Neutral Newbie

Well, i have heard of the following in singapore:

- cloud xxx

- river xxx

- forest xxx

At least those indian names doesn't look too weird

- cloud xxx

- river xxx

- forest xxx

Must be fans of River Phoenix or Forrest Gump. Cloud must be from the Chinese comic Feng Yun.

I'm not surprised if someone were to call himself Shrek. :D

I have come across some guy called Fash. I was like [rolleyes] ...thinking to myself, why not call Fag? :D Why can't ppl have normal names like Fred or Frank, hopefully nothing like Frodo....from middle earth. :D Freaking hobbit.

God, you have no idea how much I hate those stupid, made up names.

Foyce? Jesus christ, why not Foist? Foist Bai Ur Oun Petard.

Horribly, horrible name. Try to make yourself a unique person by having a unique name?

post-66648-1273541763_thumb.png

My point is, I don't find Chinese taking up Indian name, a novelty, whether politically or business driven [laugh].

Erm..I think you must live (assimilate) to know the "way of life" there. I was an Indonesian Chinese [cool].

Regards,

LOL!

When one lives in a region as a relatively successful minority, one need to be a little more aware of the perceptions being projected to others. It is even more difficult to strike the balance between being proud of one's tradition and culture against other seeing its as "chauvinism", which until today, I still fail to understand why some hold this view.

Back to the Huawei experience in India, the article is interesting as it shows how the China's Chinese are prepared to go the extra-mile to get accepted by the locals and even taking up Indian names since locals have trouble prononcing CHinese names !

I experience that too as of my non-Chinese associates find it difficult using my Han name :D

Only a few Indians who had attended Chinese classes during their formal education managed to pronounce my name with little difficulty. [thumbsup]

For Huawei, unfortunately, this goes beyond just name alone. It is about deep-seated suspicion by Indian security agencies (IB and RAW) that Huawei is part of Chinese spy network based on its like to PLA.

FYI, Singapore telcos are using Huawei telecom equipments. [:p]

updateImageggl9b0ccac6-fe73-4b1a-8553-8bfb1b744680.jpg

Turbocharged

I think it's a great development, since we usually see and hear more about Asians taking up Western names. Why not Asians taking other Asian names??

But it is nothing new. It all boils down to making it convenient for people to remember and recall your name. That's why in ang-moh countries, it is suggested to take up ang-moh names. Otherwise people can't pronounce and can't remember your name - it's bad for working life, promotions, etc.

Likewise, ang-moh staying in China and Taiwan are also given "Chinese" names, i.e. their western names rendered in chinese characters and pronounciation. So why not Chinese staying and working in India adopting Indian names? It's only for very practical reasons.

- cloud xxx

- river xxx

- forest xxx

Yep, and Echo, Aquamarine, Elf, Midy, Windy, Ceol adn everything else under the sun in fact!

But think it would be really funny to meet a clearly PRC fella with the name Rajeev!! [laugh][laugh]

Me? I'd choose Benny Lava as my indian name! After the song "Kalluri Vaanil" from the Indian-Tamil movie Pennin Manathai Thottu. It was a super funny video edited by Mike Sutton (Youtuber Buffalax) to include incorrect English subtitles that approximate the original Tamil lyrics phonetically.

↡ Advertisement