Acting Important

Ahtong

Some people really go out of their way to act important. These are some I have witnessed and recounted here for your amusement.

- At an official dinner, someone is called up on stage. On his way to stage, the guy stops at every other table to say hi to someone and indulge in small chit chat.

- During a friend gathering, someone casually places his BMW key on the table.

- Someone tells me this restaurant serves great food. I say "Oh really?". The guy says "Yah, I went there with [name of big shot] the other day."

Anyone have other tales to share?

↡ Advertisement

depends on the group of friends, this can also be a humble act :D[laugh]

Some people really go out of their way to act important. These are some I have witnessed and recounted here for your amusement.

- At an official dinner, someone is called up on stage. On his way to stage, the guy stops at every other table to say hi to someone and indulge in small chit chat.

- Someone tells me this restaurant serves great food. I say "Oh really?". The guy says "Yah, I went there with [name of big shot] the other day."

Its very common... Another favourite one is,

Mr NameDrop Tan: "Ohhh you're a (add rank) in xxx bank..... Do you know MD, Mr 123 of YYY bank?"

Me" No leh, different bank. The industry very big"

Mr NameDrop Tan: " Ohh i thought you would know him. I just played golf with him. I always play with him and his friends one, all the time. "

Then the next time I happen to meet Mr 123 at an external event.

Me "Hi 123, nice to meet you. ...Blah blah... Btw, i understand you play golf at JCC?"

123: " No, the corporate memebrship is for Sentosa. But i have played there several times".

Me: " Oh, i have a friend who said he plays with you all the time. Mr Namedrop Tan..."

123" Hmmm.... I don't really remember playing with him..... Oh yes, i was introduced to him at the clubhouse..."

Very very common....

Its actually very funny, cos in my line of work, we meet many captains of industry

But owing to banking secrecy, we can't even say who we had lunch with.

And there you are, these Mr Namedrops just spouting rubbish, and blowing their horns.

I know LHL personally....

that's what I heard when some town council members spoke to a complainaint

"well... thats great... get it done then..." will be my reply to the TC member...

Mr NameDrop Tan: "Ohhh you're a (add rank) in xxx bank..... Do you know MD, Mr 123 of YYY bank?"

Mr NameDrop Tan: " Ohh i thought you would know him. I just played golf with him. I always play with him and his friends one, all the time. "

Me "Hi 123, nice to meet you. ...Blah blah... Btw, i understand you play golf at JCC?"

123: " No, the corporate memebrship is for Sentosa. But i have played there several times".

Me: " Oh, i have a friend who said he plays with you all the time. Mr Namedrop Tan..."

123" Hmmm.... I don't really remember playing with him..... Oh yes, i was introduced to him at the clubhouse..."

Very very common....

Its actually very funny, cos in my line of work, we meet many captains of industry

And there you are, these Mr Namedrops just spouting rubbish, and blowing their horns.

[laugh][thumbsup]

I hate namedroppers. Basically they are very insecure and need to hang on other's coattails to feel important.

Another type of "namedropper" like to decorate their office with pics of themselves shaking hands with VIPs.

Neutral Newbie

Very very common....

lets say u meet Mr namedrop Tan again, and u kind of dislike him. Will you expose him?

I hate namedroppers. Basically they are very insecure and need to hang on other's coattails to feel important.

Another type of "namedropper" like to decorate their office with pics of themselves shaking hands with VIPs.

what about those bak kut teh and chinese eating places that put photos of the boss posing with VIPs and celebrities at his shop [laugh]

what about those bak kut teh and chinese eating places that put photos of the boss posing with VIPs and celebrities at his shop [laugh]

Shaking hands with Zoe Tay will not make Ferran Adria more famous. -_-

I know LHL personally too ah ....

whether he knows me or not is another story ... [;)]

I know LHL personally too ah ....

whether he knows me or not is another story ... [;)]

hahah this is true..alot pple know each other but the others dont know them only [laugh][laugh]

Chinese culture mah, name / prestige first...

i also know he eats hum

Usually, only people who is not that important likes to act important... so far, working in 5 diff companies, i have never came across any of the big guns like CEO / GM/Country Manager keep telling his people how important is he....

Same thing to those poeple who like to act very rich.... keep telling people how much and how much he spend on this and that, and try to let people believes that he/she is rich... they didnt know that most multibillionaire act very low profile, they may spend million dollars on cars every year, but they dont go around and tell the whole world...

Chinese culture mah, name / prestige first...

If that is Chinese culture, the angmo boxer should have punched Ip Man in the head a few more times.

↡ Advertisement