United Motor Tampines

Whistlad

Neutral Newbie

Sharing my experience with this workshop, out of 10 customer maybe 8 or 9 of them are satisfied with them but most unluckily i belong to the 1 or 2 who is most unsatisfied with them.

After several phone calls and checking with them, i finally decided to try them for the first time for my upcoming timing belt change.

They assured me one whole day can do; i made an appointment in advance to ensure they have the free capacity and it was a Monday.

When i was there observing their mechanic doing my car, he gives me zero confidence and true enough, there was problems.

I was unable to collect my car on Monday and had to leave it there overnight till Tuesday.

We took it for a test run and the engine was producing abnormal noises.

I was too kind and took a taxi home at my own cost; they did mention that they will try to do something for me; probably some discount in the end of the bill but this was not the end of the story.

I am sure if this had happen to anyone of you here, you would have bang hard and demand compensation in terms of replacement car or taxi claim; but i just took it too easy on them.

Tuesday call me say i can only collect my car on Saturday.

Due to timing belt change error, caused damage to my valves.

Was told changed 8 valves (dunno how true but definitely not at my cost).

Again i was just at their mercy and they offered me nothing for compensation.

I call them everyday to find out the status as i wanted my car back asap and also the job done properly (but it was already too late, regretted deeply my decision to go there).

Saturday went to collect my car late afternoon.

When asked to pay the bill (for the timing belt change and others i requested earlier), there was no discount or compensation offered at all.

Their excuse is cos they incurred costs for overhaul my engine due to their error.

LL i pay and go off as i just dont feel like bringing this further anymore and in my mind i have decided to share this with everyone online.

If i have more time, i will certainly share this with other related car forums as they service most conti brands.

Car feels very different. Engine vibrates during low revs. You can even feel vibration at the pedal. Went back complain, they say cannot feel it and ask me observe. Was given 6 months warranty.

Do not try this workshop. There are many others out there more capable.

Just my luck.

↡ Advertisement

Sharing my experience with this workshop, out of 10 customer maybe 8 or 9 of them are satisfied with them but most unluckily i belong to the 1 or 2 who is most unsatisfied with them.

After several phone calls and checking with them, i finally decided to try them for the first time for my upcoming timing belt change.

They assured me one whole day can do; i made an appointment in advance to ensure they have the free capacity and it was a Monday.

When i was there observing their mechanic doing my car, he gives me zero confidence and true enough, there was problems.

I was unable to collect my car on Monday and had to leave it there overnight till Tuesday.

I was too kind and took a taxi home at my own cost; they did mention that they will try to do something for me; probably some discount in the end of the bill but this was not the end of the story.

I am sure if this had happen to anyone of you here, you would have bang hard and demand compensation in terms of replacement car or taxi claim; but i just took it too easy on them.

I call them everyday to find out the status as i wanted my car back asap and also the job done properly (but it was already too late, regretted deeply my decision to go there).

When asked to pay the bill (for the timing belt change and others i requested earlier), there was no discount or compensation offered at all.

Their excuse is cos they incurred costs for overhaul my engine due to their error.

LL i pay and go off as i just dont feel like bringing this further anymore and in my mind i have decided to share this with everyone online.

If i have more time, i will certainly share this with other related car forums as they service most conti brands.

Car feels very different. Engine vibrates during low revs. You can even feel vibration at the pedal. Went back complain, they say cannot feel it and ask me observe. Was given 6 months warranty.

Just my luck.

aw such bad luck, just trying to share my experience, i also encounter unfor seen problem when i send my car to do simple thing like servicing, etc etc,

now my standard practice, b4 i let any guy do major thing like changing timing belt, i will let him do my servicing first, i see his workmanship, and can chat and discuss about my car anot, see his knowledge also, if i know more about my car then him, then well,

anyway, i believe all drivers should have a car service centre that they feel good going to and stick with them throughout,

some time cost is not the only factor we consider when we chose where to repair and service our cars.

Just curious, what is your car and how much are they charging you?

Frankly I see them more like stocklist than workshop

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to hear that man. The feeling of changing ride is there.

definitely but the top up is holding me back, another 2 yrs to go at least before breakeven

Neutral Newbie

some time cost is not the only factor we consider when we chose where to repair and service our cars.

yes i agree with you and i just realise this too late.

Neutral Newbie

Just curious, what is your car and how much are they charging you?

Frankly I see them more like stocklist than workshop

its renault megane, $450 for timing belt change alone, need to add gst.

yes i agree they seem more like stocklist.

Neutral Newbie

ermm.. i thot timing belt changes takes 1-2hrs only.. need whole day ah..

yes other workshop oso need whole day, wearnes need 2 days even.

aw such bad luck, just trying to share my experience, i also encounter unfor seen problem when i send my car to do simple thing like servicing, etc etc,

now my standard practice, b4 i let any guy do major thing like changing timing belt, i will let him do my servicing first, i see his workmanship, and can chat and discuss about my car anot, see his knowledge also, if i know more about my car then him, then well,

anyway, i believe all drivers should have a car service centre that they feel good going to and stick with them throughout,

Tend to agree with you.

Try one workshop to see their workmanship before sending your car to them for major servicing.

Just my luck.

I don't know what's their operation today, but 10yrs ago, that mechanic was on a freelance basis. They don't even have the appropriate tool to remove my sparkplugs which are 60degrees angled slightly obstructed by the manifold. Mechanic told me need to remove manifold to change spark plugs....a lot more stories eg brake pad squeals....etc..

what car u driving? bring it to more experience workshop to solve it.

Neutral Newbie

I think there's a couple of renault pro-workshops, quite old timer. can't remember their names.

yes i do know a few such workshops and used them before.

just duno wat gotten into me to try this workshop for first time and gotten this experience, super regret now.

well i guess sometimes ppl do make mistakes in life, just to console myself

Most of the shops undertaking timing belt replacements did not understand the important of using timing setting tool kit during dismantling and assembling especially so with european and high end Jap cars. A slight miss of one to two gear teeth will offset the engine mechanical timing and definelty causing ignition timing during high engine speed. The chance of damage valves and pistons is very high especially cars with inteference valve/ piston arrangement.

PS Photo shows a Renault Master timing Set

post-272-1274057838_thumb.jpg

Most of the shops undertaking timing belt replacements did not understand the important of using timing setting tool kit during dismantling and assembling especially so with european and high end Jap cars. A slight miss of one to two gear teeth will offset the engine mechanical timing and definelty causing ignition timing during high engine speed. The chance of damage valves and pistons is very high especially cars with inteference valve/ piston arrangement.

Just curious, do you operate a workshop?

No, I am a 60yrs old semi-retire professional auto service equipment and tools salesman by choice and a arm-chair mechanics by hobby. I love to do auto toubleshooting using diagnostic tools and logic reasoning

Neutral Newbie

No, I am a 60yrs old semi-retire professional auto service equipment and tools salesman by choice and a arm-chair mechanics by hobby. I love to do auto toubleshooting using diagnostic tools and logic reasoning

Glad to see you here to give fellow drivers' advices on mechanical stuffs of an automobile......... [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

oic, yes i think this was what happended to my case.

↡ Advertisement