Why Ong Teng Cheong no state funeral but Goh Keng Swee ...

Piyopico

Supercharged
(edited)

Why our late President was shut out but a state funeral given to Goh Keng Swee?

I have the upmost respect for the late Goh Keng Swee but who decides our late president is underserving of this honour?

Sometimes I really feel very very sad ..........

Edited by Piyopico
↡ Advertisement

I have the upmost respect for the late Goh Keng Swee but who decides our late president is underserving of this honour?

Very simple. LKY don't like OTC cos he questioned the books of the State. So even if he was the president, he was banished to the cold palace by the old man. GKS made significant contribution to nation building so definitely a state burial is warranted.

Supercharged

No one has ever stepped forward to give their "official" reason.

So if MBT die he get state funeral too ?

Pui .........

No one has ever stepped forward to give their "official" reason.

So if MBT die he get state funeral too ?

Pui .........

MBT ah? for that farker, can consider going to his wake and set off some firecrackers to celebrate. Woohoo! [laugh]

i went to ong teng cheong funeral, got my picture publish on straitstimes [:p] as i queue since early morning. but i wont go to any others since they are clonies of ah kong.

if you are against ah kong even on death, you wont get a peaceful time

Supercharged

GKS deserves a state funeral... so does OTC... so this is a reminder of how self-serving the ruling party can be..

This is not a fair world anyway.. need some tissues to wipe off your tears??

Supercharged

This is not a fair world anyway.. need some tissues to wipe off your tears??

Itz ok I have never voted for them................... will never vote for them. None from my family.

[thumbsdown]

(edited)

Cos Ong Teng Cheong didn't want to have one....at least that was what was stated in the media.

Edited by Silver_blade

I dont understand....all the accolades onto GKS...when he is ONLY the deputy. I mean the real PM at that time should be the one formulating all the laws/regulations....not the deputy right?

By definition...deputy only stand in when the PM is temporarily absent.....dont tell me the real PM at that time was all the time absent? Cannot be lah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Singapore

The role of deputy Prime Minister is the second highest post and senior cabinet in Singapore and they will take the role of acting prime minister when the PM is temporarily absent.

Deputy Prime Minister Start of Term End of Term Prime Minister

Toh Chin Chye 1959 1968 Lee Kuan Yew

Goh Keng Swee 1968 1985

Sinnathamby Rajaratnam 1980 1985

Goh Chok Tong 1985 1990

Ong Teng Cheong (1) 1985 1993 Goh Chok Tong

Lee Hsien Loong 1990 2004

Tan Keng Yam Tony (1) 1995 2005 Lee Hsien Loong

Shunmugam Jayakumar 2004 2009

Wong Kan Seng 2005 In office

Teo Chee Hean 2009 In office

(1) Ong Teng Cheong and Tony Tan served under at least two Prime Ministers when they were Deputy Prime Minister.

[edit] See also

Cos Ong Teng Cheong didn't want to have one....at least that was what was stated in the media.

Iam rather doubtful of what's stated in the media. Do they mean OTC specifically told them he din want a state funeral when he was struggling on the death bed?

i felt compelled to say tis......u noe not wat u r talking. To say tat Prof Goh Keng Swee has done for tis country is immense, is a understatement. Please read up a bit b4 u make any comments. No hard feelin bro,.....

Neutral Newbie

MBT ah? for that farker, can consider going to his wake and set off some firecrackers to celebrate. Woohoo! [laugh]

LOLOLOLOL

Prof Goh's talents is rumoured by some to be arguably even better than the old man, just that he is not power crazy and prefer to contribute to the nation in a lower profile manner...

(edited)

All the dirty jobs was done by Dr Goh that made Singapore from 3rd world to first world while MM Lee did the talking, he took office from minister of finance to deputy prime minister.

My deepest condolence to one of our founding fathers and his family. His talents and vision for serving Singapore and not for money would be one that Singapore would sorely miss.

He has my deepest respect.

Edited by CH_CO