Why Ong Teng Cheong no state funeral but Goh Keng Swee ...

Piyopico

Hypersonic

I heard that the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong's family did not request or want a State Funeral. That's why.

.....do you believe? [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

I heard that the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong's family did not request or want a State Funeral. That's why.

Question is, where did you hear that?? [;)]

Supercharged

Itz like saying the ultra low profile GKS or his family wanted a state funeral lor ...................

they must think we are morons. ....... then again many are.

Turbocharged

.....do you believe? [rolleyes]

Anyone can choose to believe what they want to believe..... if you believe MIW did not give President OTC a state funeral because of some reason, so be it.... cause you already choose to believe so, what others say you wont believe.....

President OTC is a humble man and a People's President, like the late President WKW..... great respect to both of them.. and of course Mr GKS too..... Singapore has lost another great son.....

Condolences to the family of the late Mr GKS.....

Iam rather doubtful of what's stated in the media. Do they mean OTC specifically told them he din want a state funeral when he was struggling on the death bed?

Could be his family's decision lah . . . .

Why our late President was shut out but a state funeral given to Goh Keng Swee?

I have the upmost respect for the late Goh Keng Swee but who decides our late president is underserving of this honour?

Sometimes I really feel very very sad ..........

You must remember that GKS is a contemporary of LKY. He is even more senior in years to LKY. Have you not hear about the triumvirate of the old PAP guard?

Lee, Rajaratnam and Goh.

Misgivings and disagreements as Lee might have towards Goh, it wouldn't amount to an attempt to deny a state funeral i.e. recognition of GKS.

On the other hand, OTC belongs to the Second Guard, one rung lower down in the hierarchical order.

Dr GKS contributions towards our nation building and where we are now (including NS and Education) is simply beyond words....

Let us not take away the honor he deserve by comparing to another popular President.

I can safely say (of course you can argue what if) without him, old Lee and Raj may not be able to bring Spore to where it is now.

Of course now Raj and GKS had passed on....time for them to bring their missing buddy w them. :P

All the dirty jobs was done by Dr Goh that made Singapore from 3rd world to first world while MM Lee did the talking, he took office from minister of finance to deputy prime minister.

My deepest condolence to one of our founding fathers and his family. His talents and vision for serving Singapore and not for money would be one that Singapore would sorely miss.

He has my deepest respect.

Correct. During the founding years, the unknown people did the work, and some old man took all the credit for himself because he was PM at the time. GKS was one of the unknown people.

Anyone can choose to believe what they want to believe..... if you believe MIW did not give President OTC a state funeral because of some reason, so be it.... cause you already choose to believe so, what others say you wont believe.....

President OTC is a humble man and a People's President, like the late President WKW..... great respect to both of them.. and of course Mr GKS too..... Singapore has lost another great son.....

Condolences to the family of the late Mr GKS.....

why the few good man are gone ......?..sigh.... [bigcry]

Neutral Newbie

Cos Ong Teng Cheong didn't want to have one....at least that was what was stated in the media.

Most probably true. State Funerals are offered to a qualified deceased as a choice. Family of deceased can choose whether or not to go ahead with a state funeral.

I would believe OTC made that choice for himself before he passed away. I would also believe GKS may not have wanted a state funeral - it's just not his style and persona.

I believe Dr Goh was the one who actually did most of the work. LKY is a lawyer by profession, so he mostly talk only.

You mean salesman talk ? [laugh]

I believe Dr Goh was the one who actually did most of the work. LKY is a lawyer by profession, so he mostly talk only.

Coincidental that you brought this up.

GKS was an excellent economist and also a very good administrator.

JTC, NS, and many monetary policies are his brain child.

It showed his understanding of Singapore's problem at a fundamental level, as well as great foresight in its implementation ( some 30-40 years since)

Comparatively, his sucessor GCT, however seemed lacking

Also an economist, but in a very text book manner, and not applying them with the depth, foresight, and understanding of GKS

Which brings us to the talent, and environment issue.

I believe both are equally capable, but because of the conditions in which they joined politics, it made the key difference.

↡ Advertisement