Why Ong Teng Cheong no state funeral but Goh Keng Swee ...

Piyopico

Honestly....this weekends is the very FIRST time I learn so much about GKS and his past contributions to Singapore.

To learn about Singapore history....I guess I have to go library to read more history books from now onwards........or just wait for the next one to kick bucket.

↡ Advertisement

Honestly....this weekends is the very FIRST time I learn so much about GKS and his past contributions to Singapore.

To learn about Singapore history....I guess I have to go library to read more history books from now onwards........or just wait for the next one to kick bucket.

You must be quite young, young man..... [:p]

lol dunno whether you sarcastic or not! old man, whatever ppl say, with his team made spore what it is today. ask the older generations, they all respect him cos they been thru s--t and know what his pap did. he is those old guards with passion and what they do for spore, i think they did it with good intentions. ...altho the road to hell is paved with good intentions some might say!

Nope, not being sarcastic at all - i've read his books (alex josey etc) and got to know the psyche behind the old man's thinking/foresight and head-charging ways to get things done and done right. To many, he's a mean mofo (cul-de-sac meet and pilots/sia closure, one strike, not three and you're out etc) and no one can hold a candle to him with his passion / fire in the belly and the only asian leader to have a standing ovation in the US senate. Brings me back to my time in NS (rod'd in 75) we called deserving officers with elbow grease, superb man-mgmt skills and leadership qualities "Tuan" instead of sir, denoting respect for the person, not the pips on his shoulders. That's the kind of respect i'm talkin about.

Neutral Newbie

Nope, not being sarcastic at all - i've read his books (alex josey etc) and got to know the psyche behind the old man's thinking/foresight and head-charging ways to get things done and done right. To many, he's a mean mofo (cul-de-sac meet and pilots/sia closure, one strike, not three and you're out etc) and no one can hold a candle to him with his passion / fire in the belly and the only asian leader to have a standing ovation in the US senate. Brings me back to my time in NS (rod'd in 75) we called deserving officers with elbow grease, superb man-mgmt skills and leadership qualities "Tuan" instead of sir, denoting respect for the person, not the pips on his shoulders. That's the kind of respect i'm talkin about.

yes i agree with you fully

seems like we are lau jio (old bird)

things change and we have to move on too

Yes, our rapid economic growth is due to GKS great foresight & hard work, but credit was given to LKY

The answer to your comment aboved quote can be clearly found in the Sunday Times today.

OTC cannot be compared to Dr GKS for the amounts of contributions.

Effectively , everything that is linked to Singapore's success has something to do GKS , NS , compulsory education , bringing investments and pushing the economy forward , vision of where we are heading in 20 years. Something i don't see in the present batch of ministers.

I do think Dr Goh deserve every credit for a state burial , a man of such talents would be sorely missed. RIP.

I heard that the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong's family did not request or want a State Funeral. That's why.

Yes, it was published in the Straits Times.

Devan Nair also didn't get a state funeral.

(edited)

We would all be playing 5-stones now instead of inputting computers w/o pioneers

like Dr GKS,MM,Raja,etc.Should be at least a bit grateful. [cool]

Mr Devan Nair was a discovered alcoholic while in office don't you know?

I think latter he had some arguments with SG govt while receiving treatment in US.

Thought to be not worthy of state burial.Nonetheless,he was a distingished civil servant,better than you & [wave] me.

Edited by Csnewbie

Yes, it was published in the Straits Times.

Devan Nair also didn't get a state funeral.

Nair was sacked from his presidential post. Is this a fair comparison?

We would all be playing 5-stones now instead of inputting computers w/o pioneers

like Dr GKS,MM,Raja,etc.Should be at least a bit grateful. [cool]

Mr Devan Nair was a discovered alcoholic while in office don't you know?

I think latter he had some arguments with SG govt while receiving treatment in US.

Thought to be not worthy of state burial.Nonetheless,he was a distingished civil servant,better than you & [wave] me.

Very good point.

Why our late President was shut out but a state funeral given to Goh Keng Swee?

I have the upmost respect for the late Goh Keng Swee but who decides our late president is underserving of this honour?

Sometimes I really feel very very sad ..........

Its the request of Mr OTC himself before he died that he wanted it to be a private affair. His son carried out his last wish and as such, no state funeral.

A very humble man indeed ......... [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

Why our late President was shut out but a state funeral given to Goh Keng Swee?

I have the upmost respect for the late Goh Keng Swee but who decides our late president is underserving of this honour?

Sometimes I really feel very very sad ..........

Why do you care when Ah Ong also don't care (since he already passed on)? :D

Neutral Newbie

Why do you care when Ah Ong also don't care (since he already passed on)? :D

I think what he is trying to say is

if we are to be fair then OTC should be also deserving for a state funeral as the people love him very much and can be seen in the internet and man in the street

to a certain degree it is true that why should we care if OTC himself doesnt care about a state funeral

but having one may have several effects

encourage or inspire others to be like him especially those already in power but needed a bit of "push" to do the right thing

People (country) honorly an incredible Man

but some would ask why after leaving the establishment then make "noise"

sounded abit like Martin Luther

in short i guess we all appreciate his effort

hope this helps in explaining why some are so determine to give him a state funeral

afterall he was once our president

well said, well said....

hopefully got a few days public holiday... :)

maybe there is no reunion. Some in Heaven, some in Hell :D :D :D

Its amazing that the press had alot of the details ready in just half a day...the TV news was ready showing all the video clips and past contributions.

And today straits times, got all the articles and write in letters about this great GKS.

Great work...like the scout motto..."Be Prepared"

I wonder does the press also already prepared the various articles ready in their harddrive....just waiting for whoever next leader to kick the bucket next.

I thought this was common knowledge?

There is a whole dept in ALL major newspapers that updates and prepares such things for the dreadful day...

There is probably already a whole file prepared for people like LKY, and all the rest

Dont know why this thing have to repeat so many time.

Ong Teng Cheong (or is it his family) decline state funeral??

can dont bring this out every time there is state funeral or not?

↡ Advertisement