Who Still Practice Warming Up of Engines Before Moving Off?

Mini-itx

i am one of those stuck in old school thinking. My first car must warm up, sometime must choke to warm up.

↡ Advertisement

just a thought, my 03 vios takes 1.5mins for the engine to settle down from 1.5k rpm to 800 rpm, usually, i wait till it drops. i tried to move while in 1.5krpm, once the gear is engaged, the car just shoots off immediately.

for modern engines, its more harmful to yr engine if u warm up yr car while stationery.

The engine doesn't operate at its peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion, soot deposits on cylinder walls, oil contamination, and ultimately damaged components.

its more efficient to warm it by driving it slowly til it reaches its "normal" operating temperature.

Cars actually heat up faster stationary & low then moving. I don't think having car driven at low sped (in jam) & stationery for long is good for car. Car need moving air to cool the radiator water & hence the engine oil.

Having said that, I think in some countries, warming up is unavoidable during cold morning. (not Singapore type of cold), if not to warm up the car, then to warm up the cabin, to make scrapping sheet ice (cause by overnight snowing) easier.

SO I guess, thats one of the good thing about living in Singapore, cars are more hassle free. Like someone said before (in US), the only thing Southerners scrap from their windscreens are sunshine.

Hypersonic

for modern engines, its more harmful to yr engine if u warm up yr car while stationery.

The engine doesn't operate at its peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion, soot deposits on cylinder walls, oil contamination, and ultimately damaged components.

its more efficient to warm it by driving it slowly til it reaches its "normal" operating temperature.

Very well explained. :D

Sadly few will agree and adopt.

Stop the old habit.

Nothing new..... 10 years ago, my car manual says: start , belt up and go.

Yes: go easy till normal temp reached.

I usually wait till the diagnostic is completed (eg ABS light off when turned to ACC) before cranking the engine.

Then fastern seatbelt, check clear and drive off, all in about 20-30 seconds.

Neutral Newbie

i maybe kaisu abit...

i warm up till water temp to 60 deg(ard less than 2 mins)then drive not more than 2.5k rpm till oil temp reached 70 deg..

Cars actually heat up faster stationary & low then moving. I don't think having car driven at low sped (in jam) & stationery for long is good for car. Car need moving air to cool the radiator water & hence the engine oil.

Having said that, I think in some countries, warming up is unavoidable during cold morning. (not Singapore type of cold), if not to warm up the car, then to warm up the cabin, to make scrapping sheet ice (cause by overnight snowing) easier.

SO I guess, thats one of the good thing about living in Singapore, cars are more hassle free. Like someone said before (in US), the only thing Southerners scrap from their windscreens are sunshine.

hmmm... i finds car heat up faster when moving.

have a try timing it both methods.

a matter of fact, not to rev the rpm more than 2.3 is good enough while moving in order to warm the engine. not literately as in slow......

i think most ppl don rev that much in the morning too unless late for work while driving out to the carpark. the best part is there are many traffic lights outside our carpark, just two to three traffic stops is more than enough to warm the car.

warm up....idling... waste fuel....dun need...just move off gradually....dun 'throttle' for the 1st 1 or 2 km...can liao....

infact latest euro-engine advises dun idle to warm-up. :D

(edited)

hmmm... i finds car heat up faster when moving.

have a try timing it both methods.

a matter of fact, not to rev the rpm more than 2.3 is good enough while moving in order to warm the engine. not literately as in slow......

i think most ppl don rev that much in the morning too unless late for work while driving out to the carpark. the best part is there are many traffic lights outside our carpark, just two to three traffic stops is more than enough to warm the car.

Yup, I agreed that engine will heat up faster on the run than stationary... Tried and proven too, saves time and fuel and I don't breath in toxic exhaust gas at confine area... [laugh]

Edited by Heartbreakid

Neutral Newbie

I will let it run for like one minute then drive at low rev till it reaches the usual temp then go normally. Usually after the first traffic light from my mscp it would have reach the optimal temp. Not good for engine to run below it's optimal temp. Actually my prev ride clio I never warm up one juz start and drive low rpm. No problem oso.

My practise is similar to yours but for technical reasons.

I warm up for at least 30secs - that's the time it takes for my car to go into closed loop, to do my tiny bit for the environment. ^_^

Also, I used 5wXX engine oil so that it can flow from the base pan thru the entire engine quicker.

I used to use a 0wXX engine oil but my engine doesn't like it.

Same like you, I try to maintain below 2.5k RPM to allow my coolant temp to reach about 80 degrees celcius which is about 2-3 km.

Your car has incomplete fuel combustion even when its fully warmed up though. Just peep into your combustion chamber when you remove your plugs. The piston tops are filled with carbon.

Its to protect your engine. If you have 100% complete combustion and no soot, then your engine will actually damage and blow......

Warming the engine by letting it running idling instead of sitting idling is faster. As I always return home before 9pm, I need to park on the 3rd or 4th floor in my MSCP as the lower floors were already occupied by then.

Next morning, after starting the engine which is around 2500rpm, I would right away engage D and start driving the car down to the ground level with the engine at 2500rpm. Going the MSCP round and round a few times without stepping on the accelerator, the engine would have warmed up by the time I reached ground floor.

(edited)

Btw, I feel one biggest problem of moving while engine is cold is thermal shock. Tolerances are different when your car is warm vs when its cold.

NA cars still not so bad but Turbo cars are the worst because of the larger tolerance needed for expansive (due to higher combustion temp). Thus if you may get piston slap in the morning when engine is still cold. Oil consumption is also higher and more blowby.

Thats why I have to ensure that my engine gets adequate lubrication before moving off. Engine idling has the lowest combustion temp and lowest load and hence lowest wear on the engine.

I do understand its not needed for new cars because engines are still very new and tolerances are good. But mine is already coming to 18yrs so I have to take care of the engine to avoid an overhaul.

Edited by Mini-itx

Yr engine pistons, cylinder surfaces and rings are mature and ready for replacement/reconditioning. Do a compression test and you will relies how much compression loss, fuel and lub are taking place for every engine compression stroke

Bro, u confirm not a smoker rite? Tats y u dun understand the need for tat 1 stick.

Even i myself also dun understand y tat 1 stick!!! hahaha... [hur]

How about not leaving the aircon on when you turn off the engine?

==================

I usually switch off ac a few minutes b4 I reach my destination unless there is a passenger in the car.

My wife complains that it gets too warm when i switch off the ac. [:(]

When I start a cold engine, I drive a few minutes b4 I switch on the ac so as not to overload the cold engine.

↡ Advertisement