Beware! Calls soliciting yr NRIC no

Qpik

Supercharged

I just got a call from XXX company saying that my name has been chosen just because I travelled a fair bit over the last 5years. The lady said that I would be receiving 2 airline tickets to Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand & goodness knows where in the mail. However, she will need my NRIC no. to issue the tickets.

Before I could say anything, she read out my NRIC no. I took the chance to say "No" when she paused for a breath. She thought I was going to correct the NRIC no. that she has read though I admit that it is not the correct one. I told her again that "No, I am not interested" and "No, I am not going to confirm nor correct the NRIC no. that has been read out to me". She said that she need my NRIC no. and will call me again. So, I said "Please don't bother as I am not interested".

So, plse take note and let yr family members know in case they get calls of similar nature.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Bcos

(1) the lady was shooting her mouth off

(2) I didn't quite catch the name correctly as in getting her to spell it out word by word

(3) I didn't want to put myself into a precarious situation by guessing the name

(4) I hv been receiving alot of such calls from yoga coy to fitness club & they didn't ask for NRIC so I find it puzzling for this call

Interesting. Scam or Real?

Will the GSS call up to confirm the IC number before they tell me I won the car? I mean they will have to ask me some personall details, because IC no. was SMS to them for the lucky draw right? Since we did not sms them our address or anything else, the only verification is IC no.

So what is the proper procedure should the call be genuine and I dont want to missed out on the GSS lucky draw first prize! I mean if I keep telling them I not interested, I might really lose the car prize!!

Will it be better if I ask the caller for their office number and address to confirm, and I call them back? Surely if real one, they will tell me willingly right?

I always see the live Seng Siong show on TV....I have YET to hear someone shouting to the host on TV "You people dont trick me lah, I not interested in the bluffing lucky draw lah! Stop calling me!!" on TV yet.

Seems like 100% people will believe phone calls telling them they won $$$ etc.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I just got a call from XXX company saying that my name has been chosen just because I travelled a fair bit over the last 5years. The lady said that I would be receiving 2 airline tickets to Malaysia/Indonesia/Thailand & goodness knows where in the mail. However, she will need my NRIC no. to issue the tickets.

Before I could say anything, she read out my NRIC no. I took the chance to say "No" when she paused for a breath. She thought I was going to correct the NRIC no. that she has read though I admit that it is not the correct one. I told her again that "No, I am not interested" and "No, I am not going to confirm nor correct the NRIC no. that has been read out to me". She said that she need my NRIC no. and will call me again. So, I said "Please don't bother as I am not interested".

So, plse take note and let yr family members know in case they get calls of similar nature.

I've got such calls but they never ask for NRIC. Once, I was quite free so I kept the guy online for nearly 1 hour, making him repeat every single detail over and over again. Then tell him okay, I'll go for the briefting. Then ask the address, kept asking for directions over and over again.

In the end, I called him the afternoon before the appt and told him I cannot make it. Re-schedule.

The 2nd time, made him repeated the whole sales line again. Then made another appointment. Never turn up.

3rd time he called, I told him I cannot remember he ever called or something like that. He does not want to talk to me again. [:(]

• Praise 4

The only one that verify NRIC one for me is the population census. I was told my household kena "selected" and the lady spoke to me for more than 10 mins. Asking if this so-and-so staying with me or not, provide demographic information etc.

Anyone else got called up by population census?

I've got such calls but they never ask for NRIC. Once, I was quite free so I kept the guy online for nearly 1 hour, making him repeat every single detail over and over again. Then tell him okay, I'll go for the briefting. Then ask the address, kept asking for directions over and over again.

In the end, I called him the afternoon before the appt and told him I cannot make it. Re-schedule.

The 2nd time, made him repeated the whole sales line again. Then made another appointment. Never turn up.

3rd time he called, I told him I cannot remember he ever called or something like that. He does not want to talk to me again. [:(]

u so bad bear

but its good lesson for him [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Interesting. Scam or Real?

Will the GSS call up to confirm the IC number before they tell me I won the car? I mean they will have to ask me some personall details, because IC no. was SMS to them for the lucky draw right? Since we did not sms them our address or anything else, the only verification is IC no.

So what is the proper procedure should the call be genuine and I dont want to missed out on the GSS lucky draw first prize! I mean if I keep telling them I not interested, I might really lose the car prize!!

Will it be better if I ask the caller for their office number and address to confirm, and I call them back? Surely if real one, they will tell me willingly right?

I always see the live Seng Siong show on TV....I have YET to hear someone shouting to the host on TV "You people dont trick me lah, I not interested in the bluffing lucky draw lah! Stop calling me!!" on TV yet.

Seems like 100% people will believe phone calls telling them they won $$$ etc.

i dono abt GSS but from what i've seen on TV, iirc i don't remember the compere askg the winner for their nric no. guess for SOP like this kind of call, u probably hv to direct to govt agency. but given their "characters" u will probably be directed to alot of agencies without having answers to yr qtn. guess u hv to rely on yr "street-smartness" at the end of the day.

Supercharged

The only one that verify NRIC one for me is the population census. I was told my household kena "selected" and the lady spoke to me for more than 10 mins. Asking if this so-and-so staying with me or not, provide demographic information etc.

Anyone else got called up by population census?

hv i got but they nvr asked for ic. nowadays i think they mail out the survey & will call if u nvr return.

nowadays the govt will advertise in the papers if they r collating for such purposes n they will even paste a notice on yr block "NOTICE BOARD" in case some do housecalls.

hv i got but they nvr asked for ic. nowadays i think they mail out the survey & will call if u nvr return.

nowadays the govt will advertise in the papers if they r collating for such purposes n they will even paste a notice on yr block "NOTICE BOARD" in case some do housecalls.

so you also "selected"? And you also do the survey over phone?

Supercharged

so you also "selected"? And you also do the survey over phone?

hv done twice, last time was over the phone. iirc nvr asked for ic.

this round, survey but not sure was it the population census or the hpb cos send back the survey form. but 1 thing for sure, if u kana "selected" they will be very on the ball to make sure u participate :D

even macdonalds conduct survey also nvr asked for ic. in rtn they gave out meal vouchers.

• Praise 1

(edited)

bro no worries the population census will not ask for NRIC as they already gotten the details in the system, both hotline and the field interviewers on their handheld pda.

My sister is one of the field interviewers. She mentioned that only the last 3 digit and alphabet can be seen only. ONly if the data is incorrect then they will ask for the details.

If any person trying to impersonate the data collectors do be vigilant and ask for their name and ID code and check with DOS for verification before revealing your identities. :D

Edited by Berncsp76
  • Praise 2

bro no worries the population census will not ask for NRIC as they already gotten the details in the system, both hotline and the field interviewers on their handheld pda.

My sister is one of the field interviewers. She mentioned that only the last 3 digit and alphabet can be seen only. ONly if the data is incorrect then they will ask for the details.

If any person trying to impersonate the data collectors do be vigilant and ask for their name and ID code and check with DOS for verification before revealing your identities. :D

OIC. I am not too worried though this is the first time I am doing this. They know all the people staying in my house, including my maid's name! Mainly is to verify the income and occupation. But I'm thinking, if all the govt or stat board all interlinked, they can easily link up with IRAS to find out our income mah, why waste time to call. Only thing they cannot check is your occupation, and education.

• Praise 1

I received a call from a Samsung "advertising/publicity company" before.

Initially was skeptical of it but they kept calling back numerous times over a few months telling me that I've won a Samsung F480. Decided to pop by to take a look due to their persistence.

Well, turns out to be true. Its some advertising company (near Tanjong Pagar) on behalf of Samsung Fun Club. Think the phone was worth about $400 - $500 at that time. [laugh]

• Praise 1

A guy receives a call from a credit card company.

The company wanted to answer a query by customer the day before. The CC staff wanted to ask some personal ID info to verify, example NRIC, DOB, the usual.

CC staff said it is MAS regulations.

This customer is complaining why he needs to do that.

he also asked, in what way a customer can verify the caller is genuine.

he got a point?

• Praise 4

A guy receives a call from a credit card company.

The company wanted to answer a query by customer the day before. The CC staff wanted to ask some personal ID info to verify, example NRIC, DOB, the usual.

CC staff said it is MAS regulations.

This customer is complaining why he needs to do that.

he also asked, in what way a customer can verify the caller is genuine.

he got a point?

I did the same when they call me regarding my inquiry.

The guy on the line say if you dun feel secure you can call the hot line, then I call the hotline LL waiting on the queue lor. Sometime we just making thing complicated for been too cautious [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

I don't give personal details over the phone unless I am the one calling in.....

Did ever received such calls but I will replied them to write to me with your company letter first with telephone number and the person to be contacted.. I will call back .... :angry:

↡ Advertisement