In car vehicle recorder

Tom_kkh

I just bought an in car video recorder... last year my service technician, to cut the long story short sucks ass, my brake pads were down to 30% and i say to change every 10k servicing, he tells me still have no need, and the next day i got into a line of accident when my car couldn't stop and pile up, i was the last car. My bumper had a small dent but the car infront of me not alert so his was major damage his car had to be tow away, infront of him 4 taxis.... i was so pissed... and then they claim me 6.8k. I told the insurance to take my car, and demostrate how a small dent can cause 6k damage, i challenge them to use my car NOW and show me...

In car recorder could have save my insurance lor... I am so grief..

So the moment the insurance people told me about it last monday, I phone a local distributor went to order an in car recorder.

Mine is a rectangle wide angle one can take size 640 x 480, i got it for about $180, self installation via suction cup like your GPS, but it only takes when the engine is on leh... anyone know a way around such thing??. I didn't see this thread earlier if not I will order cos the person has a HD one at $300 i think...

I strongly advise all to get in-car recorder, hope you guys can get another round of mass order, maybe the wide angle i will put it on my car back and HD one i will place it to shoot the front, do let me know if you guys going for another round of mass order...

Dun save the few dollars on in car recorder, there are cheats around... dun think it will never happen to you, s--t happens lor... dun be like me heartache over the small bump... :(

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

That's why I super "kia su" bought one in-car recorder and use a normal DV cam.... lol..

My in-car recorder just died on me though and managed to get it replace as it is within warranty period.

I would suggest buying those in-car recorder with LCD.

Dun save the few dollars on in car recorder, there are cheats around... dun think it will never happen to you, s--t happens lor... dun be like me heartache over the small bump... :(

Where to buy those with LCD??? I still very sad over the news about the 6.8k payout... so fraud la... my repair only $180 lor...

depress man... i dun dare tell my parents... i sleep over it hope it goes away hahaha

Neutral Newbie

Where to buy those with LCD??? I still very sad over the news about the 6.8k payout... so fraud la... my repair only $180 lor...

depress man... i dun dare tell my parents... i sleep over it hope it goes away hahaha

hmm.. I think someone previously posted this. Try tracing back or look for it in www.dealextreme.com ; the price posted includes shipping fee as well.

Neutral Newbie

Found it for you, it is at the first page:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35356

Check it out and if I remember correctly, there is a video intro on it in youtube.

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check out at challenger. Never knew there were cigarette lighter to 3pin converters!

These are called inverters. You can it cheaper at Sim Lim Tower, almost every other electrical shop there sells it.

But be careful, the cig lighter socket is rated for 12V 10amp only. So if you are going to use higher powered inverters like 3000watts, yhave to connect it directly to your car battery. They usually come with cig lighter plug, copper lugs or croc clip connectors.

Neutral Newbie

Got this from www.dhgate.com, cost me about $95:

productimg1259157066345.jpg

Starts recording when car starts, stops about 8 secs after car stops. Each clip is about 300mb, 5 min per recording. So a 2GB SD card can store about 30 min of video. I got a 8gb SDHC to use with it. There is a 5 sec lag between each clip. To me it is quite acceptable. I have pondered over getting those with GPS which cost about $350-$400. But understand that GPS signal is not guaranteed, and there are so many tunnels in Sg nowadays. Also most of the time I'm over the speed limit...

Can view the shots here:

Day shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYYOUbi1gs

Night shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cANwKpKcNxU

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

My $95 cheapo dvr just gave up on me less than a week after purchase. Seller agrees to refund if the set is send back.

Hope that the F500HD will have a second MO soon... [:)]

Edited by Snappyg9

For all bro informations. Normal DVR recorder can be act as evidence during claim. But compare to those with GPS inbuilt. The blackbox with GPS is more recongised because the location, timing and speed is all recorded in it. Impact strength determine the damaged made. Normal DVR doesn't provide this information. Therefore the timng can be changed and location is a doubt if in remote places. Blackbox with GPS is useful. Price is about $100 different but provide more information for insurance company. All those china made DVR is cheap and good. But the car charger is not very stable. Especially when driving. Running voltage current is not constant, so the image may be flickering. Korea made DVR have a current stablelister which made the video running more smoothly. 一分钱一分货 .

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check out at challenger. Never knew there were cigarette lighter to 3pin converters!

Hi bro, kudos for handling the MO :D

Do let us know if there's a way to let our camera record with engine turned off [laugh]

Thanks.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

For all bro informations. Normal DVR recorder can be act as evidence during claim. But compare to those with GPS inbuilt. The blackbox with GPS is more recongised because the location, timing and speed is all recorded in it. Impact strength determine the damaged made. Normal DVR doesn't provide this information. Therefore the timng can be changed and location is a doubt if in remote places. Blackbox with GPS is useful. Price is about $100 different but provide more information for insurance company. All those china made DVR is cheap and good. But the car charger is not very stable. Especially when driving. Running voltage current is not constant, so the image may be flickering. Korea made DVR have a current stablelister which made the video running more smoothly. 一分钱一分货 .

hmm..... the newer DVR recorder now has built-in GPS. Your perspective is interesting. I may just sell off my current JVC MZ-555 to get the new Sony Camcorder.

Btw, there are two reasons why I prefer normal DVR to these blackbox recorder (though I have both) - the instability & unreliability of these blackboxes and the noticeable lag when these blackboxes are file rotating (could be 2 secs or more).

Something for you guys to consider when buying a blackbox - If "suai" enough, you could be hitting the 2 secs or the blackbox decide to stop recording for no reason (I often need to reset the box) when the accident happens.

My 2 cents contribution.

Edited by Kaipower

These are called inverters. You can it cheaper at Sim Lim Tower, almost every other electrical shop there sells it.

But be careful, the cig lighter socket is rated for 12V 10amp only. So if you are going to use higher powered inverters like 3000watts, yhave to connect it directly to your car battery. They usually come with cig lighter plug, copper lugs or croc clip connectors.

i saw at audio house - bendemeer

SGD59/-

(image poor quaility)

the base has 3-pin female (can be used with those 2-pin as multi-socket ready)

post-14515-1277301033_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

i bought 2 x units...

my package included

- camera

- strap

- plastic v-shape bracket (3M double side sticker)

- clip-on (on shirt maybe)

- bicycle clip

- suction cup holder (using this one now)

- micro 2GB card with SD Adaptor

- pouch

- user manual

- 4way car adaptor (lighter adaptor) (has 1 x usb port)

- 1 x battery

- power adaptor charger (with usb female)

- long usb cable

- short usb cable (for power plug charger)

should be it....

my problem experienced

a) supposed to auto record (5 seconds upon startup) but it come on, 5sec later, power down itself

- i got the pull out the USB cable, reconnect (in car)

- it comes on, wait 5secs, then it auto records

- once ignition off, unit powers down

b) recording full, but cannot find setup option for overwrite option..

Hi bro,

how's your set so far? Have you solve the overwrite problem? Any issues for day to day operation? Got any clips to show?

Thanks!

Edited by Snappyg9

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

i saw at audio house - bendemeer

SGD59/-

(image poor quaility)

the base has 3-pin female (can be used with those 2-pin as multi-socket ready)

This is the one I gave up on =( ; Hope others have better luck with it.

Edited by Kaipower

Neutral Newbie

sigh... my in-car blackbox recorder that I just exchanged for a new one, died again. though still within warranty... this is a little bit disappointing... China products! zzzz....

hmm..... the newer DVR recorder now has built-in GPS. Your perspective is interesting. I may just sell off my current JVC MZ-555 to get the new Sony Camcorder.

Btw, there are two reasons why I prefer normal DVR to these blackbox recorder (though I have both) - the instability & unreliability of these blackboxes and the noticeable lag when these blackboxes are file rotating (could be 2 secs or more).

Something for you guys to consider when buying a blackbox - If "suai" enough, you could be hitting the 2 secs or the blackbox decide to stop recording for no reason (I often need to reset the box) when the accident happens.

My 2 cents contribution.

Sample Video

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...ore888&aq=f

problem (not exactly....)

off the package, couple of setting to fine tune

a) set USB to ON (default Off)

- the logic for USB ON is to allow auto power up recording and upon auto shutdown

when I turn on our ignition, I normally wait till the battery light goes off, then turn again to start the engine

- first switch ON powers up F500HD, recording auto starts

- when I start my car engine, in effect, it powers down the recorder

then I tried making a complete switch on engine w/o pausing, recorder powers up and auto record itself

What I do now

- now I will disconnect the USB end, once engine completelys starts, then I connect USB (as I wait for battery light goes off before starting engine)

- auto power down works fine when you switch off the engine

b) overwrite upon memory card full

- need to enable the loop or recycle option (default is disable)

daytime quality is superb !!!

Hi bro,

how's your set so far? Have you solve the overwrite problem? Any issues for day to day operation? Got any clips to show?

Thanks!

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the prompt reply! Do you have a pic of how it's mounted in your car? My only worry is that it might become a theft magnet, if it is visible from the outside of the car. HD720P seems to be smaller, and can be hidden from view.

Can't wait to collect the new 'toy'.

Pls share where to get the following at reasonable price:

a) SDHC card

b) Audio shop to wire up

↡ Advertisement