Is Marbella GPS good?

Josho

Supersonic

I know why, because Malfreemaps look nicer. :D

I prefer Malfreemap for navigation but for POI and more coverage of route, Malsingmap is good.

Actually, I don't like the polygon. It slows down the gps device having to cope with unnecessary clutter.

A good map I feel, is to stay with the basics, the correct roads, the appropriate numbers of POI which is useful to the general public. No point having my uncle/aunty shop listed as POI.

↡ Advertisement

1 dumb question, how to go back to the navigation after I click to go into WinCE ?? how come the winCE is in chinese one?? haha

I haven't try on city yet...but latio sure cannot..too short.

when u go collect...let me know,.....but now then I know..charge batt must be at the navigation screen

Dear mycarforum member Jamstart,

Thank you for your valued feedback and we deeply appreciated your kind and continous support with Marbella.

We understand Wonderland Theme Park is a new theme park opened in May 2010 and therefore it is only included in our June 2010 SLA Mapking map data. However, for enhancement of POI and better routing and navigation direction. We strongly advise our user to switch to Malsingmaps when they travel aboard to Malaysia. Malsingmaps is an open community platform which allows users to contribute new POI and road development focusing in both West/East Malaysia. Malsingmaps is the official map partner in SG/MY Garmin units too.

Please enter Mapking > Setting > Switch Map and kindly select on Malsingmaps PEN Malaysia or Malsingmaps MY/SG which has a connected maps between Singapore and Malaysia crossing over the Checkpoint.

There is also a map update for Malsingmaps and please kindly refer to the hyperlink below to download the map update.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/download...6fde10492e75d26

This should improved the map data and re-routing within Malaysia.

The map update procedure is as follows (please pardon us if it's not well explained)

1) Download the file from the link above

2) Take out the Micro-SD card and insert it into your PC/laptop

3) Look out for "navigator" folder. Click into it

4) Look out for "maps" folder. Click into it

5) Look out for "WM" folder

6) Unzip the WMX2_Apr2010.zip and extract out the 24files inside the *zip folder

7) Copy all the entire 24files extracted from the WMX2_Apr2010.zip and overwrite with the files found inside the navigator/maps/WM directory

8) Map update completed.

Please do not feel hesitate to contact us if you have further queries.

Once again, please ignore this map update message if you have just recently purchased our Marbella GPS series at recent PC Show @ Suntec Convention Centre. This map update IS NOT applicable to your Marbella as we have included the latest data at PC Show 2010.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

The Support Team

Maka GPS Technologies Group

Hi...the link dun seems to work for me..or the rest also same prob?

I doing my first charge now in office, with the set off...will it get charged???

how come need to be in the navigation screen to get charged?

wow, didnt expect a reply specially attention to me..haha [laugh]

thx for the clarification! [thumbsup]

shd be getting the western europe map then.

the maps are all ready or collection rite? will be getting my secretary to collect it next wk. [:)]

Dear The Support Team, Maka GPS Technologies Group,

Unfortunately, i had once again encountered an unpleasant experience with Marbella. This time, it got to do with the free map that you guys are giving out for those who purchased a Marbella GPS during the IT Fair.

My secretary had called and went down to your office today for the collection of the free map that we have gotten from the previous IT Fair on my behalf. I had given her specific instruction to call and confirm that she can just go down with my receipt to collect the free map. No special instruction was given by the CSO of Marbella over the phone, and i was also been told during the IT fair that i'll only need to bring the original invoice down to collect my freebies. So naturally, i would think that you guys are gg to give me a Micro SD card, with the specific map encrypted.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

My secretary was been told that she has to bring the GPS set down to the office in order to have the free map downloaded. Which means, the trip was completely waste of the time, which, can be easily avoided should there is any slight gentle reminder from Marbella CSO. Frankly, i'm pissed. [mad] And luckily, i didnt go down personally to collect it.

In all your marketing script, it's always mentioned that all Marbella's owner can simply drop by at your office to loan a map for free up to 3 mths. Maybe it's partly my fault that i shouldnt make such assumption that the map will just be loaned to us in a SD card, similarly for our FOC map. I would really appreciate a simple, gentle reminder from your staff if it's a MUST for us to bring the GPS down especially when there was even a discussion abt sharing map. Just like what you did with the simple instruction note for all those who're using the GPS for the 1st time.

So at the end, my staff had spent 2hrs travelling to your office (2-way), situated at Alexandra, which is not exactly a very convenient location, with nothing achieved. [furious]

Think after this post, everybody will know that they need to bring their GPS along to collect the free map. So i guess i'm just the unlucky one.

Neutral Newbie

Dear The Support Team, Maka GPS Technologies Group,

Unfortunately, i had once again encountered an unpleasant experience with Marbella. This time, it got to do with the free map that you guys are giving out for those who purchased a Marbella GPS during the IT Fair.

My secretary had called and went down to your office today for the collection of the free map that we have gotten from the previous IT Fair on my behalf. I had given her specific instruction to call and confirm that she can just go down with my receipt to collect the free map. No special instruction was given by the CSO of Marbella over the phone, and i was also been told during the IT fair that i'll only need to bring the original invoice down to collect my freebies. So naturally, i would think that you guys are gg to give me a Micro SD card, with the specific map encrypted.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

My secretary was been told that she has to bring the GPS set down to the office in order to have the free map downloaded. Which means, the trip was completely waste of the time, which, can be easily avoided should there is any slight gentle reminder from Marbella CSO. Frankly, i'm pissed. [mad] And luckily, i didnt go down personally to collect it.

In all your marketing script, it's always mentioned that all Marbella's owner can simply drop by at your office to loan a map for free up to 3 mths. Maybe it's partly my fault that i shouldnt make such assumption that the map will just be loaned to us in a SD card, similarly for our FOC map. I would really appreciate a simple, gentle reminder from your staff if it's a MUST for us to bring the GPS down especially when there was even a discussion abt sharing map. Just like what you did with the simple instruction note for all those who're using the GPS for the 1st time.

So at the end, my staff had spent 2hrs travelling to your office (2-way), situated at Alexandra, which is not exactly a very convenient location, with nothing achieved. [furious]

Think after this post, everybody will know that they need to bring their GPS along to collect the free map. So i guess i'm just the unlucky one.

Dear mycarforum member Frenzzsg,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

We are sorry that you had such unpleasant experience with us today.

Due to stock arriving in our service centre and plus tons of customers making a collection of their pre-purchased GPS in our service centre. We are sorry if we have overlooked at this matter.

All of our CSO is awared of this issue but we are not sure the reason of such requirement was never carried out by us. We have retrieve our calls this morning and flitered out there were 6 customers called us and inquiried on the availability of our free gift, but only 2 of them specific out the map to us and our CSO did informed them to bring the GPS unit down as well as the receipt.

We will address such issue highly to our CSO next time and hopefully it will not happened again.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

The Support Team

Actually you can simply host the updated file in a free hosting and this poor customer do not even need to ask his secretary to make a wasted trip - just my 2cents opinion.

Both IT roadshow and CSO should have reminded to bring either SD card or GPS set. [bigcry]

Maybe the vendor here might have an alternative for you?

All of our CSO is awared of this issue but we are not sure the reason of such requirement was never carried out by us. We have retrieve our calls this morning and flitered out there were 6 customers called us and inquiried on the availability of our free gift, but only 2 of them specific out the map to us and our CSO did informed them to bring the GPS unit down as well as the receipt.

Do not wish to argue whether your CSO speaking the truth since there're only 2 calls made in to enquire abt the map. Unless you have phone recording system else it'll be just your CSO words against my secretary words. [speechless]

But i think you guys know it yourself that did your Sales staffs at the IT fair REALLY spell this out to all your customers abt the free maps? now i finally understand the reason why all freebies can be mailed EXCEPT for the maps and you all INSISTED that we need to collect the map personally at your office. You may say that i could have forgotten or missed out this part, but for your info, i bought TWO units on a separate occasion (on 1st & 2nd day). so possible to miss that info twice?

frankly, i really wouldnt mind the need of bringing the GPS along to download the map. just that when i think back all the conversations exchanged with your sales rep during the IT Fair (i even asked questions like why can you all just mail the SD card or CD to us, u just tell me cannot, which i had been wondering cuz that's so simple for a software, no storage issue, but u all can give away all the hardware freebies : screen protector, leather case, charger), it seems like you have tried to avoid telling us that actually, you need to bring your GPS down to our office so that the map can be downloaded into it, that's why we cant give you on the spot!

Makagps, i just wanna say i have nothing against Marbella becuz i'm are more than happy that another company is able to produce the goods that quality is on-par with the market leaders (Eg. the "G" co.) at a much lower cost. But i guess the way u all handle this matter has been a disappointment. <_< ...and i shall end my case here.

anyway, i'll be looking forward to use the GPS & maps in both Spain & Malaysia, hope Marbella is able to live up to its expectation on these occasion and i shall be back for more reviews. ^_^

I have picked up the M660+ today and try out on my way home today.

below are my thoughts, and since it's my first time using, not sure if it's Marbella's SW design or it's Map SW design for some of the problem.

1) Charging on my desktop charger...read that it have to be in the menu showing navigation icon for the unit to be charged, does that means the unit cannot be charge when it's in the OFF mode?

2) Touch Screen sensitivity is poor..I can't seems to type the character properly and also the backspace button is so small..cannot point at the exact location of the words to edit and have to backspace all the way.

3) Do i need to be at home in order to set HOME ? same for office? and only 1 slot for HOME or OFFICE? Icon is also very limited and doesn't means much sense. Can't find a good icon for Family nor WORK.

4) Command was confusing or sometime late, was at CTE near AMK ave 3, was told to keep left for exit but the map is actually showing that I should exit Ave 5. (which is next exit). normally, I would have exit Ave5 to go home too.

5) After taking the exit at Ave 3, was told to turn Right and Turn right again (virtually making a U turn back into CTE heading to City)

dunno why.

6) How to go back to Mapking after going to winCE mode? cannot find option in this Chinese WinCE OS..

Can anyone comment?

Neutral Newbie

below are my thoughts, and since it's my first time using, not sure if it's Marbella's SW design or it's Map SW design for some of the problem.

1) Charging on my desktop charger...read that it have to be in the menu showing navigation icon for the unit to be charged, does that means the unit cannot be charge when it's in the OFF mode?

2) Touch Screen sensitivity is poor..I can't seems to type the character properly and also the backspace button is so small..cannot point at the exact location of the words to edit and have to backspace all the way.

3) Do i need to be at home in order to set HOME ? same for office? and only 1 slot for HOME or OFFICE? Icon is also very limited and doesn't means much sense. Can't find a good icon for Family nor WORK.

4) Command was confusing or sometime late, was at CTE near AMK ave 3, was told to keep left for exit but the map is actually showing that I should exit Ave 5. (which is next exit). normally, I would have exit Ave5 to go home too.

5) After taking the exit at Ave 3, was told to turn Right and Turn right again (virtually making a U turn back into CTE heading to City)

dunno why.

6) How to go back to Mapking after going to winCE mode? cannot find option in this Chinese WinCE OS..

Can anyone comment?

Dear mycarforum member Ekardo,

Thank you for your kind review and valued feedback.

To serve you better, please kindly PM us your contact number and we will return your call tomorrow morning to guide you through and ressolve some of the issue. Most of your issue could be explained and solved from telephone.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely,

The Support Team

Neutral Newbie

I just went to JB last weekend and happened to chance upon their IT exhibition. Their exhibition scale is no where near Singapore but there are some interesting things like a GPS that has free map updates and includes maps from Europe, Singapore, Malaysia and USA, etc --- all for free!

Also, windows 7 home premium is quite cheap. OEM 32 bit is @ RM 317 while the full retail version is @ RM 389 - much cheaper than Singapore.

Neutral Newbie

oh and if you guys are interested, there will be a larger scale IT fair in July 2-3 - I think. No guarantee that their pricing will be much cheaper but their service level seems so much better, imho.

Have been playing ard the set for a while so think i can help you with some of these questions.. ^_^

u need to switch on the unit for the charging to start, dunno why is it so. [confused] i tried plugging in the usb cable when the unit is off, the comp ended up detecting an external drive and it doesnt start charging. guess the chip was been prog in such way...though it's a bit "duh" but can still make do lah..maybe in future will be able to update the OS

Go to the setting in the main menu, there will be a calibration setting, like what u do with any of your touch screen phone. it'll get much much better. Previously i cant seem to touch the backspace button at all, after calibration, it's MUCH better. [:)]

You can have both HOME & WORK. and nope,u dont need to be at the "HOME" location to set home. Just enter the address, then can set it to home, work or any other favourite.

Cant comment much on this, cuz it was pretty ok for my 3 days ride in singapore....haha....

dunno why.

Can anyone comment?

dunno why.

Can anyone comment?

Point 1,2,3,6 seem to be firmware related while point 4 and 5 should be due to map.

It might take some time if there will be changes to be made to the firmware, if any.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

it can be charged when OFF mode.

do a screen calibaration first, but do not expect too much for this cheap device, as I said in previous post. week heart.

no need, yes only one home can be set.

it may due to the satellite fix problem. but it should be your own problem, drive again, should be ok.

dunno why.

it is the most severe problem, which maka can do nothing about it. this mapking land mark software is tested by me for a long time, sometime it will give you wrong instruction, but sometime it is ok. very funny.

use the stylus reset your GPS. It may be a weak china no brand GPS + the logo of "Marbella".

Can anyone comment?

Another question to maka: is your world map licenced map, can show us the proof? It will be very severe issue if your map is not licensed, because I found no Maka or marbella on those famous map data company like navteq and tele atlas. and even on http://www.mapking.com.sg/PND.php the map updates for the mapking landmark, there is no maka's model at all, but there are doron (beside the maka on this PC Show) and shinco's model. why?

Edited by Esmond

Neutral Newbie

Dear all mycarforum members,

Thank you for all your kind feedback and review in our GPS here. Being a service committed company to our user, we will maximise our service support level and bring more value-added services to all our users.

Price is the minimal value we could provide to our customers but however we seek all your understanding and trust in paying cheaper price without down-grading on the quality of hardware and missing out any of our premium value-added services to all our customers.

As a true commitment in servicing our customers, Maka GPS Technologies adopted our own system in managing and release map update jointly with Mapking or our overseas map partner

↡ Advertisement