Hong Kong Cautions Home Buyers After Land Auction

Piyopico

Supercharged

Hong Kong Cautions Home Buyers After Land Auction (Update3)

Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A By Kelvin Wong and Sophie Leung

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- The Hong Kong government

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

don't understand your point. we have subsidised housing for the masses here, at way better quality and locations than those in HK. have you seen public housing for the masses in HK before?

i think our government is quite lousy for some things, but please be reasonable before you unfairly complain about these kinda things. you think sg housing ex, because of PRs and whatever else, have you seen the housing size and prices in any other comparable countries/cities? pay 2-3 million HK dollars stay in a small flat, with 2 bedrooms. sure got someone sleep in living room. i have relatives there. i have seen this before. and these are flats hor. even for private development. no facilities. no pool. their public housing are like super out of the way, and quite run down. and there are way more applicants to stay there than there are public housing available.

be realistic about what to demand or expect from government. and go out and see and ask and understand more about the world around us, before you start blasting the government. some things are justified. some things are not.

I visited an associate's flat in mong kok

trust me, you wouldn't wanna stay there AT ALL. those HK shows are just showing the super rich!

Neutral Newbie

YUP i agree. To have a realistic sense of what most of their ppl live in, look at the flats that those HK ah beng live in when shown in the movies, most are around that standard.

trust me, you wouldn't wanna stay there AT ALL. those HK shows are just showing the super rich!

i also visited my cousin's place in tsim tsha shui,

amazingly small.

the whole house about the size of my child's room

The current place I'm renting in HK makes my aunt's 3-room flat back home appear roomy and spacious, and my parents' 5-room flat seem almost like a mansion [laugh]

Nowadays a lot of the old, dingy and run-down old blocks have been demolished or renovated, and the public housing here has improved a lot in quality. Many even have gates with security codes and even guards to prevent uninvited guests from walking in. But then, the size of the apartments and the cost, along with the ridiculously long waiting list, make it rather difficult to own a home in HK - many families simply rent.

HDB prices have skyrocketed, but still, it's comparatively easier to apply for and finance a decent home back in Singapore, provided you keep within your budget.

don't understand your point. we have subsidised housing for the masses here, at way better quality and locations than those in HK. have you seen public housing for the masses in HK before?

i think our government is quite lousy for some things, but please be reasonable before you unfairly complain about these kinda things. you think sg housing ex, because of PRs and whatever else, have you seen the housing size and prices in any other comparable countries/cities? pay 2-3 million HK dollars stay in a small flat, with 2 bedrooms. sure got someone sleep in living room. i have relatives there. i have seen this before. and these are flats hor. even for private development. no facilities. no pool. their public housing are like super out of the way, and quite run down. and there are way more applicants to stay there than there are public housing available.

be realistic about what to demand or expect from government. and go out and see and ask and understand more about the world around us, before you start blasting the government. some things are justified. some things are not.

singaporeans tend not to compare lifestyle and living costs/standards to those of HK, China, Japan, Korea etc but to those of Australia, USA, UK, etc.

because we fancy ourselves a western-styled developed nation, whose people deserve a western-styled quality of life. think big gardens, big houses, big cars, big paychecks, big whatever

(edited)

singaporeans tend not to compare lifestyle and living costs/standards to those of HK, China, Japan, Korea etc but to those of Australia, USA, UK, etc.

because we fancy ourselves a western-styled developed nation, whose people deserve a western-styled quality of life. think big gardens, big houses, big cars, big paychecks, big whatever

That's simple to relate to , you type in English not Chinese. People in HongKong use Chinese, Koreans in Korean . So some of them in singapore self declare ang mor pai will think they are westerners. Some "experienced" how western countries work , like their style and hope to "work" towards them. Probably their ego thinking that Westerns are "better".

But the problem is the Asians are the biggest debt owners of the world , basically the whole Western world is in debt with countries in Asia. So how "big" they want to be when they need to "borrow" from the "lesser" states

Edited by CH_CO

(edited)

That's simple to relate to , you type in English not Chinese. People in HongKong use Chinese, Koreans in Korean . So some of them in singapore self declare ang mor pai will think they are westerners. Some "experienced" how western countries work , like their style and hope to "work" towards them. Probably their ego thinking that Westerns are "better".

But the problem is the Asians are the biggest debt owners of the world , basically the whole Western world is in debt with countries in Asia. So how "big" they want to be when they need to "borrow" from the "lesser" states

we willingly "lend" them because if they die, we die.

so do you see who the fools are here?

basically hardworking and thrifty asian economies and societies are supporting the westerners' debt and quality of life. we stay in tiny pigeonholes and eat plain rice with soy sauce because we are supporting their big homes and gardens, big fat steaks and plentiful bread.

last time kena con and manipulated by ang moh into wars and colonialism, now kena con again... damn stupid sia.... [laugh]

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Their house is usually so small that they normally dont invite visitors home. That makes dinning out a big market in HK.

Also, for the fact that living space is small, most rather stay out or work later than return to a tiny room.

In comparison, i think we are blessed here. I just hope we dont move too fast towards HK or Japan.

Your child's room must be big.

i also visited my cousin's place in tsim tsha shui,

amazingly small.

the whole house about the size of my child's room

Turbocharged
(edited)

Well, no need to compare to HK or Japan, or even Australia, USA or UK.

Just look at Malaysia is good enough. For the same price of a HDB, can live in very nice landed property [rolleyes]

And they're supposed to be "less-developed" than us here, no?

The "Public" or low-cost housing in Malaysia are single-storey houses with a little garden out front and a small backyard. Surroundings and facilities may be a bit beat up, but it's still landed property by Singapore standards.

An apartment with reasonable floor area in a gated development (with security, thus making it safer) and sea-view (kind of like Marine Parade)... only in the region of RM 150,000 to 200,000 [idea]

Edited by Sosaria

Turbocharged

Just look at Malaysia is good enough. For the same price of a HDB, can live in very nice landed property [rolleyes]

The "Public" or low-cost housing in Malaysia are single-storey houses with a little garden out front and a small backyard. Surroundings and facilities may be a bit beat up, but it's still landed property by Singapore standards.

If you live in outskirt. If you are living in city area, heard that its as bad. (of couse the different is they can choose to live in outskirt.

Turbocharged

Those shown in the HK shows are movie studio sets lah... :D

Think of the Flats in JB - HKG public flats are similar.

All the Hot property locations are used for Private so all HKG flats are in Ulu places.

In SG, almost everywhere you have HDB flats together with Private.

So though I still think the Garment is not subsidising our flats in real terms, I think if they really want to give you cheap flats, you will all be staying in Ubin / Tekong / Kusu and they reserve SG for Private only...

Got good and bad... but Garment very clever to balance it in the middle.

An apartment with reasonable floor area in a gated development (with security, thus making it safer) and sea-view (kind of like Marine Parade)... only in the region of RM 150,000 to 200,000 [idea]

Come on. That's not a fair comparison.

About the only things M'sia is better than S'pore is the housing and car prices. And both are directly because of the size of the countries. If you take a look at things that are not directly a consequence of raw material available and size of the country, you'll see that S'pore is by far better.

My only real complain about S'pore is that the public transport still not up to par with Japan and HK. But I guess they're trying to improve it with the new MRTs and what not. On the other, I also don't agree with privatizing public transport companies.

Their house is usually so small that they normally dont invite visitors home. That makes dinning out a big market in HK.

Also, for the fact that living space is small, most rather stay out or work later than return to a tiny room.

In comparison, i think we are blessed here. I just hope we dont move too fast towards HK or Japan.

Agree in HKG, you come home to sleep ...

↡ Advertisement