Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

some people will say so cheap... must be fake oil.... USA all tio con buy fake oil! wahahahahahahha

Semi-syn + 55 gallon drum of course cheap.

↡ Advertisement

for the 1st statement, One local brand comes to mind. Supposed German sounding.

I rather buy SPC or SINOPEC approved oil by merc bmw vw, then any other fancy unapproved oil which sounds good and expensive but bo liao in the end. Having said this Iâm also perfectly fine using carlube for many years as itâs cheap or at least was cheap.

Motul is ridiculously expensive. They have esthers as base stock. I will avoid such overpriced oils.

Twincharged
(edited)

Motul is ridiculously expensive. They have esthers as base stock. I will avoid such overpriced oils.

motul 8100 excess is approx $11/L which is reasonable, in the local context. has MB. VW, BMW approvals too. stop generalizing. only the 300V is ex.

so what non over priced oil do you use? can share?

Edited by Mkl22

(edited)

I talking about the prices if you get from authorised dealers. Its something like 65 to 70 dollars for a big bottle.

I use SHU, a so called lousy oil by many people.

motul 8100 excess is approx $11/L which is reasonable, in the local context. has MB. VW, BMW approvals too. stop generalizing. only the 300V is ex.

so what non over priced oil do you use? can share?

Edited by RogerNg_185295

10 years in Sep

My humble hatchback has been using this schnell or carlube (Always bought in Giant) and I've been doing my own oil changes every service interval by driving my car up a kerb and using 2 ton jack stand to change oil.

All the hooblah hype about expensive oil for general motoring is HOGWASH.

17390400_10154273947327797_6648987369132

A basic A2B car DOES NOT NEED anything fancy.

My car is going to die this Sep, its now 273,000km old and likely will be about 275,000 come September.

There are ZERO instances of anything failing inside the engine.

Just do REGULAR oil changes, intervals of 10-15k are absolutely fine. Also change oil filters at the same time and air.

Also : NEVER EVER DO ENGINE FLUSHES!!! 

Anything bigger I let the workshop do. but I can say its rewarding doing your own

1. Oil Change
2. Oil Filter change
3. Air Filter change
4. Spark plug change (30k for cheap plugs, 100k for iridium). If u drive boxer engine then go workshop.

I've also changed by myself in the last 10 years

1. Leaking radiator hose (Amazing what youtube and lazada/shopee and stockist shops can get you)
2. Coolant (Even simplier than engine oil)
3. Plugged many a small punctures with worm/slug type of patch (Helped many others too)
4. My own  car battery (Swap in thats all)
5. A/C Cabin filter
6. All car light bulbs (Again online buy H4 bulbs at $2-3)
7. Onboard fuses (google is your friend).
8. Rear light unit (One a**hole scraped it in a carpark and ran off, again google/taobao/lazada/aliexpress is your friend).
9. Cleaning my own radiator grill
10. Cleaned my own MAF sensor
11. Clean the drum brakes on my own (Suprisingly simple to do). Even more suprised at 270,000km it still can be used on the SAME SET OF ORIGINAL pads.

The DIY car culture in Singapore is horribly lacking, nobody wants to get their hands dirty.

My new car coming in Sep. Goodbye swift.... Everything dies in Singapore by a certain date/time.

• Praise 16

10 years in Sep

My humble hatchback has been using this schnell or carlube (Always bought in Giant) and I've been doing my own oil changes every service interval by driving my car up a kerb and using 2 ton jack stand to change oil.

My car is going to die this Sep, its now 273,000km old and likely will be about 275,000 come September.

Just do REGULAR oil changes, intervals of 10-15k are absolutely fine. Also change oil filters at the same time and air.

Anything bigger I let the workshop do. but I can say its rewarding doing your own

1. Oil Change

2. Oil Filter change

3. Air Filter change

4. Spark plug change (30k for cheap plugs, 100k for iridium). If u drive boxer engine then go workshop.

1. Leaking radiator hose (Amazing what youtube and lazada/shopee and stockist shops can get you)

3. Plugged many a small punctures with worm/slug type of patch (Helped many others too)

4. My own car battery (Swap in thats all)

5. A/C Cabin filter

8. Rear light unit (One a**hole scraped it in a carpark and ran off, again google/taobao/lazada/aliexpress is your friend).

11. Clean the drum brakes on my own (Suprisingly simple to do). Even more suprised at 270,000km it still can be used on the SAME SET OF ORIGINAL pads.

The DIY car culture in Singapore is horribly lacking, nobody wants to get their hands dirty.

My new car coming in Sep. Goodbye swift.... Everything dies in Singapore by a certain date/time.

Absolutely spot on.

Only an idiot would say use Carlube or Snell and your car will up lorry.

I ran 10 years on carlube and cocktail of left over engine oil bros here kindly gave me when I bought their spare bottles and the car was fine.

:D

• Praise 1

Absolutely spot on.

Only an idiot would say use Carlube or Snell and your car will up lorry.

I ran 10 years on carlube and cocktail of left over engine oil bros here kindly gave me when I bought their spare bottles and the car was fine.

I have been using these brands too. Mobil 1, Carlube, Schnell and now, Meta. No problem at all!

• Praise 3

Supercharged
(edited)

10 years in Sep

1. Oil Change

2. Oil Filter change

3. Air Filter change

4. My own  car battery (Swap in thats all)

5. A/C Cabin filter

you win already, my previous car used carlube from second service to 271,000km, up to the day when I traded it in at 7.5 years old

post-2022-0-58086600-1561524614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phang

you win already, my previous car used carlube from second service to 271,000km, up to the day when I traded it in at 7.5 years old

If you kept it to 10 years, you'll be over 300+ k. 

You win LOL

Supercharged

If you kept it to 10 years, you'll be over 300+ k. 

You win LOL

my annual mileage is dropping, used to clock 40k km a year consistently 

current car uses SHU from NTUC/Giant, annual mileage is only around 30k km annually

@Jamesc, the drop in mileage mainly due to MIL passed away so less trips made from home to hospital and also less supper runs to see xmm

post-2022-0-33708200-1561526490_thumb.jpg

post-2022-0-90636400-1561526499_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

10 years in Sep

1. Oil Change

2. Oil Filter change

3. Air Filter change

4. My own car battery (Swap in thats all)

5. A/C Cabin filter

Please renew and run until 1,000,000 km
  • Praise 1

my annual mileage is dropping, used to clock 40k km a year consistently 

current car uses SHU from NTUC/Giant, annual mileage is only around 30k km annually

@Jamesc, the drop in mileage mainly due to MIL passed away so less trips made from home to hospital and also less supper runs to see xmm

Hahahaha that's what I would have guessed.  [thumbsup]

For those who like Mr DIY stores in Malaysia, there is a new one just opened in Star Vista. Prices a bit more expensive but no causeway jam.

• Praise 2

SMW, I've also changed by myself for my swift sport.

1. Air filter replacement
2. Coolant (Even simplier than engine oil, using cheap and good Mit long time coolant, change every year)
3. Plugged many a small punctures with worm/slug type of patch
4. My own car battery (Replace yearly and sell my old one to cheapo, eliminate the battery problem)
5. A/C Cabin filter every 3-6 months, brought at TB $3 a pcs..
6. All car light bulbs (Aliexpress almost all LEDs except H4 bulbs and rear brake light)
7. Radiator caps (Every 2 years)

8. Wipers (Mr DIY, change 3-6 months)

SMW, I've also changed by myself for my swift sport.

1. Air filter replacement

2. Coolant (Even simplier than engine oil, using cheap and good Mit long time coolant, change every year)

3. Plugged many a small punctures with worm/slug type of patch

4. My own car battery (Replace yearly and sell my old one to cheapo, eliminate the battery problem)

5. A/C Cabin filter every 3-6 months, brought at TB $3 a pcs..

6. All car light bulbs (Aliexpress almost all LEDs except H4 bulbs and rear brake light)

7. Radiator caps (Every 2 years)

8. Wipers (Mr DIY, change 3-6 months)

Osram has LED H4 and rear brake light.

Go to TaoBao.