Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

Twincharged
4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yeah, unless one DIY and doesnt change the filter at 5000km, then there is savings.

cant edit earlier. anyway, actually no savings still

2x20+10= $50

vs

Helix: 30+10=$40

Same reason why i dont bother with Carlube anymore. the branded engine oil prices have fallen by so much that it doesnt make sense to change more often

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Lexus OEM engine oil at undiscounted price is $12/L herewhich is cheaper than some branded oils.

Lexus OEM oil not good enough for expensive Lexus?

It's not made by Lexus for Lexus . 

50 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Lexus OEM engine oil at undiscounted price is $12/L herewhich is cheaper than some branded oils.

This oil not bad actually, reasonably good price.   But if SHU is same or slightly lower price, I will probably take SHU.    My regular workshop using Lexus, and will kpkb about the SHU I bring along for oil change, so once in a while, I use Lexus oil.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
6 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

image.png.54f3be974a27f2f0d0737da8d149ca9e.png

6 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

I assume u mean 4L mean 1 btl at 48sgd excluding.gst?  That is not cheap at all.

If u mean 12/ bottle. (4l) then really cheap

32 minutes ago, Beregond said:

I assume u mean 4L mean 1 btl at 48sgd excluding.gst?  That is not cheap at all.

If u mean 12/ bottle. (4l) then really cheap

48sgd for 4L = 12sgd/L

not the cheapest, but cheaper than some of the branded oils is my point.

Twincharged
7 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

i think totachi is pretty good.

TOTACHI Ultima EcoDrive L 5W-30 is merc approved. 229.51

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?navigation_path=bevolisten&language_id=1&blatt=229.51&content_action=show&mark=totachi&suchbegriff=totachi#close

some selling on carousel for $30-$32. if some wants a 30wt oil and around $30 ish... vs the 40wt SHU

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
On 3/31/2020 at 12:58 PM, Vinceng said:

Engine oil with '40' viscosity is recommended for Singapore's hot weather. Offers better protection against wear and tear.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-replace-10W30-engine-oil-to-10W40-is-it-safe-for-the-engine

image.png.6b947c1600a7b6a79fb2a6b954f4ac58.png

'30' engine oil can take only up to 40 degrees ambient temperature.

https://www.zoniv.com/5w30-vs-5w40/

image.png.5675e1db0ade789b6f060676c0a7afbb.png

image.png.f34a0aaafba5c37c8bcbde34b2e1c9b0.png

Edited by Vinceng

Turbocharged

https://carcaretotal.com/10w30-vs-10w40/

image.png.4f7f86ff34273204c18f101c7eee138e.png

On 3/31/2020 at 12:58 PM, Vinceng said:

Engine oil with '40' viscosity is recommended for Singapore's hot weather. Offers better protection against wear and tear.

https://www.quora.com/If-I-replace-10W30-engine-oil-to-10W40-is-it-safe-for-the-engine

image.png.6b947c1600a7b6a79fb2a6b954f4ac58.png

https://www.zoniv.com/5w30-vs-5w40/

'30' engine oil can take only up to 40 degrees ambient temperature.

image.png.5675e1db0ade789b6f060676c0a7afbb.png

image.png.f34a0aaafba5c37c8bcbde34b2e1c9b0.png

So all those Toyotas on 0W-20 oils

if the temperature outside gets to 34 degrees C

the engines will overheat and explode?

:grin:

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged

There's no right or wrong. Just go with what you are comfortable with.

'30' viscosity is thinner and more fuel efficient and offers better protection at cold starts, but lesser protection at high temperatures when the oil starts degrading.

'40' viscosity is thicker and takes a longer time to reach the vital engine parts at cold starts but offer better protection at high operating temperatures, especially when you are driving in the hot mid day sun and stuck in a traffic jam.

The type of engine oil that your workshop recommends is also dependent on what oil they are trying to push, to their financial advantage of course.  

11 hours ago, Jamesc said:

So all those Toyotas on 0W-20 oils

if the temperature outside gets to 34 degrees C

the engines will overheat and explode?

Jialat? Why my last 5 cars all haven explode yet?

I been using 0w20 since 2004 on Honda K20A for 60ks, Mit 4A91 Mivec for 60ks, Cit 1.6THP and Pug 1.6THP both turbo and modded to 200bhp with 0w30 for 100ks each and current Honda L15B Hybrid with 0w8 Honda Next oil.

I redline all my cars regularly.

• Haha! 3

15 minutes ago, Wildfaye29 said:

Jialat? Why my last 5 cars all haven explode yet?

I been using 0w20 since 2004 on Honda K20A for 60ks, Mit 4A91 Mivec for 60ks, Cit 1.6THP and Pug 1.6THP both turbo and modded to 200bhp with 0w30 for 100ks each and current Honda L15B Hybrid with 0w8 Honda Next oil.

I redline all my cars regularly.

This is because your car knows right and wrong and never follow this chart.

Your car just follow science.

image.png.abfaabe38ecbeace4da2623f04b68ccf.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

There's no right or wrong. Just go with what you are comfortable with.

'30' viscosity is thinner and more fuel efficient and offers better protection at cold starts, but lesser protection at high temperatures when the oil starts degrading.

'40' viscosity is thicker and takes a longer time to reach the vital engine parts at cold starts but offer better protection at high operating temperatures, especially when you are driving in the hot mid day sun and stuck in a traffic jam.

The type of engine oil that your workshop recommends is also dependent on what oil they are trying to push, to their financial advantage of course.  

When manufacturers say cold start, it meant winter, below zero, or even below minus 15. It's quite irrelevant in local context. 

See Project Farm oil comparison videos you will see how the engine oil flow like gum when frozen. We will never see such behaviour at our "cold start" temperature even if the oil is 60 grade.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

When manufacturers say cold start, it meant winter, below zero, or even below minus 15. It's quite irrelevant in local context. 

See Project Farm oil comparison videos you will see how the engine oil flow like gum when frozen. We will never see such behaviour at our "cold start" temperature even if the oil is 60 grade.

ya. cold start rating is see the front 2 letter.

for example a 0w will have a better winter start then a 10w engine oil.

in sg its almost irrelevant

↡ Advertisement