Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

15 hours ago, Webbyboy said:

Any recommendation for workshop bring your own oil change? Asked the ws at caltex upp thomson he's charging $30 now.

i visited them before. yes labor to change is $30 now. in fact most outside workshop charge $30 to $40 range just to replace own brought in by owner. Think now this is the market rate.

I find it cheaper to just visit a workshop to change my engine oil to Shell Helix Ultra rather than buying my own.  The workshop labour charge includes checking of other car parts.  Hence, if the engine oil is $30 per bottle, and the labour cost is $30, I might as well just send my car to the workshop directly that charges around $60.

15 minutes ago, awhtc said:

I find it cheaper to just visit a workshop to change my engine oil to Shell Helix Ultra rather than buying my own.  The workshop labour charge includes checking of other car parts.  Hence, if the engine oil is $30 per bottle, and the labour cost is $30, I might as well just send my car to the workshop directly that charges around $60.

to each his own i guess. thru DIY you get to learn more about  your car though. Anyway many sg drivers just know how to drive but many also dont know how to maintain their car or know nothing about maintainence. Many just let their money's fate in the hands of workshop. 

• Praise 1

For some DIY is to save money on material direct purchase, and save travelling to  / waiting time at the shop. For some it is just a labour of love.

• Praise 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:45 AM, Yeobh said:

For some DIY is to save money on material direct purchase, and save travelling to  / waiting time at the shop. For some it is just a labour of love.

Labour cost from workshop is high if you bring own parts. Where is the saving?

Shops will find is very very difficult to survive only on labour charges ( unless they charge at premium ) so they have to do trading - selling of parts , lubrication and accessories ( actually they are selling convienient - time is money )

Remember they are here to make profit , they are not social enterprise neither they are stanta clause , they are like us who has family to feed.

Note : I am not a shop operator , I happen to be associated with the automotive service industry for donkey years.

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Yeobh said:

Shops will find is very very difficult to survive only on labour charges ( unless they charge at premium ) so they have to do trading - selling of parts , lubrication and accessories ( actually they are selling convienient - time is money )

Remember they are here to make profit , they are not social enterprise neither they are stanta clause , they are like us who has family to feed.

Note : I am not a shop operator , I happen to be associated with the automotive service industry for donkey years.

Same as us used car dealers.

So hard to survive.

I have to massage young ladies to make ends meet.

:D

47 minutes ago, Yeobh said:

Can survive one. Just that the bosses want to make more money. 

If they just make enough to cover direct cost without any "disposal income" to cover tool replacements, equipment service and repair etc etc how are they going to meet the need to service new cars that come to the market.

As I said they are in business to make money and grow the business not idle like they are in day one.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Yeobh said:

If they just make enough to cover direct cost without any "disposal income" to cover tool replacements, equipment service and repair etc etc how are they going to meet the need to service new cars that come to the market.

As I said they are in business to make money and grow the business not idle like they are in day one.

Not forgetting future training for mechanics.

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Not forgetting future training for mechanics.

Yes this is a indirect cost the company have to bear.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1