Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

for those using cheap oils, what do you do with the $$ saved?

============

Save $$$ on cheap oil & spend it on cheap women [gorgeous] & booze [crazy] . Hahaha.

↡ Advertisement

CLTR would have done well locally if not for clones who try to promote it. A turn-off.

============

I just ignore the clones.

I just focus on the product. [nod]

Neutral Newbie

I've used the Scnhell oil for abt 9000km already. So far so good. Now breaking down a little n engine sounds abit rough. Well, I think it's not too bad already.

Will b draining it out this week.

Engine oil choice is a personal opinion.

Some say why go for expensive oil when cheap oil will do.

Obviously, there are many parts to the retail costs you pay off the shelf:

1. cost of material

2. engineering research

3. marketing, distribution costs

4. certification costs

etc.

For some oil, you can never get it "cheap" unless they are trying to get rid of stocks.

For some oil, they are just as cheap as they can get.

You got to look behind the package and see why it is priced what they are.

Your engine may not need the absolute best oil, but you shouldn't at the same time compromise on the quality of oil by just going cheap.

There are many parts that make up a modern day engine oil.

Besides lubrication, it has to have anti-oxidants, anti-wear, detergency, etc.

actually after many years of riding driving... i have more or less come to my own conclusion... no matter wat others might say... i guess like you say a personal opinion...

everything good about a brand of oil is told to us either by its own website, advertisments, or the ppl they sponser... so the average joe hears what the oil company wants them to hear...

racing oils have less detergency properties... the oil filter is just as important... cheap oil doesnt mean no good... just as expensive doesnt mean good for sure... some oils 'die' faster than others... some oils are 'smoother' then others...

in the past i would never use an oil unheard of... words on the package means nothing to me... i need to hear at least some positive feedback from at least a few different ppl be4 i would use it...

but when i decided to use c@rlube, it was after many feed backs i got that its no frills and works fine... a bro here even used c@rlube on track... i visited the website, went through some UK forums... and realised the oil is not as bad as i thought it was at first (the front packaging really not convincing at all...

so off i went to get the oil when i came across this VX... everything on the label was ok.. API/SM, fully syn, 5W/40, but of course i was still sceptical... but when i saw it was made in Singapore i felt abit safer... so i did try... and it was even cheaper than c-----e...

and yes i will not expect this cheaper oil to be as good as other branded oils... but i am pretty sure the basic functions of an engine oil is met... i will surely not bring this oil to the track, but daily driving with the occassional high revs i will trust it... even so as i will not use it for more then 5k... and being abt 6 times cheaper then my previous oil, more frequent oil changes sounds good to me...

==============

Yes I see those UK motorsports prog often I see CLTR being advertised quite a lot.

True that if they spend $$$ on advertising here, the price might even come close to Mobil 1 so maybe they just go by word of mouth to sell well.

Afterall if a product is good, no need to advertise much cos it sells itself once more & more pple know its good.

I used to use Royal Purple(which I found to b a very good oil) when they 1st came to SG many years ago but as they became more popular, the price also went up.

It used to cost about $7/Qt for the 40 weight oil but now its already $13/Qt. [:(] So I decided to switch to CLTR now.

I just hope CLTR wont get too ex if it gains popularity here. Maybe I sud not "promote" it cos then the price might also go sky high. [knife]

actually i first saw Royal Purple many many years ago in a 2nd flr shop in Tanjong Pagar... didnt dare to try then... haha..

btw do you know C@rlube is being sold at Autobacs like $50+... :wacko:

If they did more advertising and marketing, prices would not be as like they are of today.

thats why it make me think... imagine those oils which sponsor racing teams... lagi more cost involved and EVEN more expensive... [knife]

but i'm not saying they are the same quality i'm sure its better but by how much... thats the question...

Yo Ken, now c u so active in the forum hor. And more bold too. But i support u la. So many crap ppl ard sometimes reali makes ur blood boil. [furious]

Btw, me too cheapo EO user. Been using c-----e. So far so good. So have u changed to the VX oil? Any review compared to c----e?

crab ppl is ok... sharing/arguing views here in this forum is normal lah... boyracers, hell drivers, snobbish, HAOLIAN [laugh] , watever kind also have its all part of a forum... if everyone here same views same type then BORING... no point logging in to talk to yourself kind of people... hahaha... but that bloody pigcanto really piss me off... insulted my parents and now scared... pretend like it never happened... to hell with him...

anyways i have not used c@rlube before... i am only abt 150km into my oil change of VX... (initially i said it felt just abit rougher, or rather it didnt feel as smooth as OWS NA Racing... maybe VX is acceptable just that OWS NA is ultra smooth... haha) i was in the KPE tunnel today and do you realise when you are trying to maintain 70-80km/h throttle on and off, the car feels damn smooth... anyways with VX oil temp no change at normal driving... have not rev redline non-stop for a couple of lights those kind of driving...

actually i do not believe that any 2 different brands of oil (same vocosity type full syn) will give any noticable difference for normal driving every gear change at 2.5 rmp approx... maybe the difference will be like when the oil breaks dwn, how long it last and how smooth it is at redline...

150km is too early to tell... but at $11.50 per oil change... i think its bloody good... keke...

btw i still using 10ml to 10liters of putoline 2T... still got long long way to go on the 1st bottle i bought... haha

CLTR is more than fine/ok for use, especially if the low cost lets you do 5k engine oil change intervals.

Have been using this oil for almost 140k on a Honda K20A engine for the past 5 years.

hi...

a K20A on c@rlube for 5years... r u living in Singpore or the UK? wats the vocosity you using?

if a screaming V-tec can rely on c@rlube... i dont see why any other engine cant... [:)]

and porsche approves c@rlube right?

just asking thanks...

CLTR would have done well locally if not for clones who try to promote it. A turn-off.

really? wat happened? can fill me in?... briefly... :huh:

I've used the Scnhell oil for abt 9000km already. So far so good. Now breaking down a little n engine sounds abit rough. Well, I think it's not too bad already.

Will b draining it out this week.

thats good to hear... wats your ride? just wanna know so can have an idea which cars have no problems with these lower cost oils... [:)]

which oil are you gonna use next?

for those using cheap oils, what do you do with the $$ saved?

we are not using cheap oils... it is you using over priced oil you bloody idiot... (u tink your mobile n shell ultra helix at Giant/carrefour very good deal ah) then bring to other ppl's workshop and ask them change but complain the labour charges too expensive... than freaking change yourself lah... but i dont think you can even change a flat tyre...

anyways if i saved any $ from my cheaper cost of oil now, i will pay some bangalah to hunt you down, find you and slap your face until both side swollen... until you cannot talk for a week...

[furious]

we are not using cheap oils... it is you using over priced oil you bloody idiot... (u tink your mobile n shell ultra helix at Giant/carrefour very good deal ah) then bring to other ppl's workshop and ask them change but complain the labour charges too expensive... than freaking change yourself lah... but i dont think you can even change a flat tyre...

anyways if i saved any $ from my cheaper cost of oil now, i will pay some bangalah to hunt you down, find you and slap your face until both side swollen... until you cannot talk for a week...

[furious]

cheapo man

Supersonic

I have a friend who use karlube for a very long time due to the price alone.

It helps too, when the brand is of UK and not local.

He also mentioned that he did a "engine flush" at Autobacs and his car drove much better.

Whether that flush removed varnish, sludge, whatever that is accumulating in his engine from using karlube or he just phychologically feels an improvement, no one knows.

Then again, he change car every 3 years average, so he probably won't see any long term ill effect, if any.

There are also many people who swears they have never seen an engine failure due to a particular oil.

As long as you have oil, whatever brand or name, in the engine, it will not kill it in the immediate short term. :D

I started with cheaper Castrol Magnatec, karlube and Mobil 1. Now, I'm using Amsoil and Redline...the more expensive oil as I learnt more about oil. Maybe one day, I'll switch back to cheap oil..carefully. [laugh]

As long as you're using API qualified oil of SH and above according to your manual, and changing out at short 5k or 10k interval, I don't think any harm will come to your engine in the near term. :D

Btw, just to point out that mineral oils are even cheaper. And many people have been using mineral oils on their cars for ages.

The important thing is not about the price of the oil. Expensive doesn't mean its good.

Turbocharged

I've tried Shell Helix Ultra, c-----e and VX on my current ride.

From my butt dyno, all 3 brands seems pretty much the same.

In terms of oil temp and oil pressure, these 3 brands don't deviate much. I have read in other local forums people running c-----e for their track days and their oil temps are also similar to other much more expensive brands.

Engine oil temperature has got nothing to do with the different brands if they are all synthetic and have similar formula. It has got to do with cooling.

==============

Mine also just hit 5K km & still smooth as new & no drop in oil level even.

Just a very good & cheap oil. Ive been using CLTR for many years already & so far, no complaints. Only thing is must only buy when it is on offer.

No need for those ex oils cos CLTR is more than enough for my normal ride. [thumbsup]

I will keep a lookout for cheap offers. Do keep one another here informed of such sales. :D

Mine is kinda black cos I am on k&n. Hit past 5k mileage.

↡ Advertisement