Come on in if you are into cheap engine oils...

Ken4555

actually myself also subscribe to the theory that most engine oil are about the same, or at least they perform equally well enough for normal aspirited car for normal road driving condition.

That is what I think so too. [nod]

↡ Advertisement

Anyone using fully syn oil is using a very good oil.

In US 1 quart of fully syn oil sells for as low as US$1.50.

Here people pay S$20 for 5 litres think its cheap.

As for patrol the high cost is due to gov tax and profits.

So if spark plug cost S$2.50, it must be bad

so we must all use S$35 plugs cos we spend thousands

on the car?

(edited)

guys, recently something terrible happened to my car due to engine oil. after servicing i left the left over engine oil bottle in the boot. one day the bottle fell on its side, and all the oil flow out, and sipped thru the groves down into the spare tyre compartment.

after using about 2 rolls of toilet paper there were still considerable oil around, my goodness. so pls dont leave your engine oil bottle in the boot like i did. [bigcry]

Edited by Vextan

Neutral Newbie

Anyone used FK / Massimo engine oil before? Recently someone introduced me to use this engine oil. so far so good. FC seems better by 0.4 km/l at least for the half of the 1st fuel refill.

Anyone used FK / Massimo engine oil before? Recently someone introduced me to use this engine oil. so far so good. FC seems better by 0.4 km/l at least for the half of the 1st fuel refill.

we are talking about cheap oils here

guys, recently something terrible happened to my car due to engine oil. after servicing i left the left over engine oil bottle in the boot. one day the bottle fell on its side, and all the oil flow out, and sipped thru the groves down into the spare tyre compartment.

after using about 2 rolls of toilet paper there were still considerable oil around, my goodness. so pls dont leave your engine oil bottle in the boot like i did. [bigcry]

Spill is a small thing. Just troublesome to clean.

You are very fortunate that with the spill, the oil did not manage to mix with some stuff in your boot that potentially can cause fire.

(edited)

I think unless there is some qualitative analysis of the cheap oils to substantiate that they are indeed of lower quality and will cause damage to the engine can we declare them as a non viable option.

I do not have any affiliation to c-----e but it is also certified for use in Porsche, VW and also BMW (long life). I do not think c-----e would pass those ceritifications if it were indeed of inferior quality. Same goes for some of the other 'lesser' and cheaper brands on the market.

At a minimum, the rest of the cheap oils are also API SM certified. So they must meet at least a baseline to attain such certification. It is true that they might not last as long but back to the point that it allows for more frequent oil changes due to the much lower cost.

Personally, I like the idea of more frequent oil changes versus paying premium and trying to squeeze the most mileage out of an expensive oil.

Edited by Fuzzylogic

In fact most of the european car makers are trying to design oil monitoring/ adv systems that will help in extending the oil usage time. Most of the systems use in BMW MB VW are using programmes to calculate oil change time base on many variable factors such as frequency of starting, starting time and oil temp etc not just mileage alone.

But if every 5k change, the labour for oil change is abt $20 leh...unless u change urself

bro you got read properly anot who change for me??? muar lah...

In fact most of the european car makers are trying to design oil monitoring/ adv systems that will help in extending the oil usage time. Most of the systems use in BMW MB VW are using programmes to calculate oil change time base on many variable factors such as frequency of starting, starting time and oil temp etc not just mileage alone.

look at this example...

an average merc.. approx 6 liters of EO...

a sunny/sentra 1.6/1.8.. approx 2.5 ;iters of EO...

now HOW in the world is the sunny's engne oil suppose to last as long as the merc??

all modern multigrade EO removes and suspends the petrol by products (except single grade oils used in racing example daytona, brands like redline has single grade oils)... carbon... watever dirt... the longer you leave the oil in the engine, the more the dirt circulates in the engine... tell me how good is that?

any mech with a brain will tell you frequent oil changes will benefit the engine... watever make cc size brand...

^_^

Neutral Newbie

Not all cheap oil are bad and not all are good it depends on the base oil use and additives use also as base oil there is Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3, than it also depends where the base oil are refine in. If from is it refine here in Singapore (better), China, russia or some other parts of the world (third world countries) than hard to say liao. There is a shortage of base oil in the market as 4 barrels of crude oil will only give you 1 barrell of base oil.

This is what I know to the best of my knowledge. Just my 2cents worth. [;)]

Neutral Newbie

any mech with a brain will tell you frequent oil changes will benefit the engine... watever make cc size brand...

^_^

definitely. but where is the line drawn? beyond which gains are negligible and not noticeable?

i think you have a rather small brain...

PETROL GOT CHOICE AH??????????????? your grandfather's petrol station?

whereas engine oils have so many choices out there... choose sensibly priced ones over ridiculously priced ones which give you no noticeale power increase whatsoever... that smart?

AND WHO THE FCUK SAID CHERRY IS AS GOOD AS A MERC??? most brainless statement of the day... wat a dumb comparision....

you quite stupid sia... -_-

dont mind me... very straight forward... [laugh]

That is precisely what i'm trying to say, isn't it DUMB to assume super cheap oil will gives the same performance as expensive high quality oil. Seriously that is the "most brainless statement of the day". [laugh]

Since you so cheap, let me recommend you buy those diesel oil by pail, $20 for 20L from Forklift. Your Sunny need 3L only, so $3 per oil change cannot be any cheaper liao.

look at this example...

an average merc.. approx 6 liters of EO...

a sunny/sentra 1.6/1.8.. approx 2.5 ;iters of EO...

now HOW in the world is the sunny's engne oil suppose to last as long as the merc??

all modern multigrade EO removes and suspends the petrol by products (except single grade oils used in racing example daytona, brands like redline has single grade oils)... carbon... watever dirt... the longer you leave the oil in the engine, the more the dirt circulates in the engine... tell me how good is that?

^_^

wah lau come and average me la. hao lian [laugh]

definitely. but where is the line drawn? beyond which gains are negligible and not noticeable?

the line is drawn where the wallet permits...

the mind is a powerful thing... if you feel its good and better, nothing else matters..

Not all cheap oil are bad and not all are good it depends on the base oil use and additives use also as base oil there is Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3, than it also depends where the base oil are refine in. If from is it refine here in Singapore (better), China, russia or some other parts of the world (third world countries) than hard to say liao. There is a shortage of base oil in the market as 4 barrels of crude oil will only give you 1 barrell of base oil.

This is what I know to the best of my knowledge. Just my 2cents worth. [;)]

wat do you know about group5 ester based oils... heard motul is double ester smthing...

so wats the diff fro type 1 or 2 or 3?

That is precisely what i'm trying to say, isn't it DUMB to assume super cheap oil will gives the same performance as expensive high quality oil. Seriously that is the "most brainless statement of the day". [laugh]

Since you so cheap, let me recommend you buy those diesel oil by pail, $20 for 20L from Forklift. Your Sunny need 3L only, so $3 per oil change cannot be any cheaper liao.

omg you just simply dont get it... an assumption??? when? and how can an assumption be a statement???...

pls dont talk like as if you some fcuking chemist... i have been using bloody expensive oils before... i am now testing to see the difference... you think engine oils got magic ah? put better more expensive ones your car can fly? dont be an idiot...

tell me you are a lubricant chemist and that you drive a heavily modded TC SC car... i will shut the fcuk up...

haiz... you go use your expensive oil theory...

i will do my own butt dyno on these cheaper oils...

by the way, engine oils in the states and UK are pretty cheap compared to here in SG... so we may see c@rlube as cheap... and Giant getting it in bulk and their promo... so even cheaper... and other oils here sell so bloody expensive... so we assume any engine oil here in Singapore that is not expensive as cheap oil and cant be good... think another bro did mention this also...

↡ Advertisement