Sick Of Singtel

Flyguy63

my mio 3mbps singtel is so much faster than my starhub 16mbps. for your consideration

i jumped ship to singtel for my hp in a fit of anger. my home BB still on sh!thub.

but after i upgraded my router, my 2mbps sh!thub connection is giving me stable torrent dl of over 1mbps. which IMHO is pretty decent. now i guess limited by the other party so it's doing 500-600kbps on the dl side.

another thing abt starhub is the digital voice. save a lot in the long run and no loss of quality. not sure if mio has equivalent free home line.

somehow my singtel hp bill seems cheaper though than last time on starhub, even w/o per second billing. wonder why [rolleyes] reception definitely win starhub at least where i work in tuas

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

It depends on your monthly spending. I am with M1, I was offered by another ISP and willing to pay for my penalties.

You must be an exceptional case.

Probably spending 4 digit figure every month and you showed it to the other ISP...want or not ?

starhub is worse. Keep tying with those sucky linksys products as bundle. My modem keeps breaking down again and again. Will nevr use starhub again. waiting for my contract to finish then its byebye starsuck.

it's the linksys modem they give. try changing.

for mac users, suck it up and fork out for apple airport extreme. it's worth the price [sly]. also works for PC but i think PC users won't appreciate it.

although the basic wireless G 54mbps so called has the bandwidth to handle a basic internet connection, i found that my airport handles it with much better performance somehow. I'm sure high end routers from other brands will offer such a performance.

now i am thinking of upgrading back to 8mpbs once my 2mbps contract expires, since my router can make full use of the broadband now

funny...i have never been fined by singtel for any late payments for the 8 years i have been with them..

i think the key here is not to pay late. i never tested any of the telco yet (i have services with all 3).

but i have heard abt the M1 lawyers letters [laugh]

After 10 yrs of using Singtel for mobile..i am ready to cross over to starhub once my contract expire.

i was the other way round. really cannot live with sh!thub reception.

but once my employment contract expires and i don't have to work at tuas, I might consider switching back...

I think even if one is loaded it does not make sense... because both sink and suck have their bad points. It's just jumping from one leaky boat into another leaky boat.

Either way, you'll sink... and, it sucks!

agree. all telcos, and other service providers, have their own unique ways to screw pple.. ultimately, one will realise that they are mostly a bunch of farkers. best not to get attached to anyone and just milk ur current one for what it's worth.

to me the same thing applies to gahmen.. just look at the 'savior' obama? now also can't do much to settle the BP crisis. and we can always look within our own country, and neighbouring countries. all sama sama lah... no such thing as perfect

not only Singtel, but the other 2 also has this $100 additional fees for handset upgrade within 12months of your existing contract mah...and so far, i have never heard of any telco waiving this $100 fee..except for Singtel, when you subscribe to their MIO home bundle, they will waive the $100..

IMO, it's foolish to pay 1k to jump ship if this is your main concern..also, after you jump ship, there's no guarantee that the other telco will waive the $100 fee...

agree, feel shiok initially to 'slap' them but at the end of the day, the TS is the main loser.

jump after contract expires. the best way is to keep jumping ship, probably screws up the telco's profit predictions if more pple do that. basically act unpredictable and keep them on their toes.

consumers should never be loyal unless the service providers give good incentives to be.

So bro, any good router (ard $100+) to recommend? The linksys (about 3yrs old liao) provided by SH is acting up, sometime it will just reset (power "off" then "on" again) by itself.

i think u up ur budget to $200 to be safe. buy those wireless N router from belkin, cisco (linksys) or Dlink and shd be ok. or consider apple airport extreme as well

don't buy wireless G router.

the plus point of these is that reception is likely to be better. my airport gives me signal at my carpark. that's wireless N for you [;)]

(edited)

I am in a bind.Contractually my Mio Plan expires 7th July 2011.I was talked in to signing with the plan because I was told of the savings if I bundled it with my Broadband early last year.(I honestly didn't realise that the plan is for 30 months).I am sick and tired of Singtel because after almost 2 decades of loyal patronage,and mind you,I have NEVER once ask for a rebate or redemption of any kind from them,they steadfastly refuse to waive a $100/ penalty that I will incur I when I wanted to upgraded my phone.$100/....and they just outright plain refuse to waive it.So,cut to the chase,I have decided to jump ship to Starhub,lock,stock and barrel.I have 2 residential lines,2 mobile lines and Broadband from Singtel(am also a current Starhub Cable subscriber).I will incur a penalty of a total of about $1k(which I am willing to fork out to sever ties with Singtel),but if anyone have a better solution for me I will be most grateful.P.S. Do you guys think Starhub will offer me any incentives to offset abit of my Singtel penalties?Thank for listening guys.

Good luck! I am getting out of Starhub to Singtel. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

My singtel BBOM at 2mbps is faster than my starhub 15mbps cable broadband. Unless it is very commonly downloaded files like Windows Service Pack which is stored in Starhub cache, everything else is a crawl. My 10mbps Singtel fix broadband will be in today. Hopefully, my decision to switch is correct.

Edited by Silver_z

Turbocharged

Good luck! I am getting out of Starhub to Singtel. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

My singtel BBOM at 2mbps is faster than my starhub 15mbps cable broadband. Unless it is very commonly downloaded files like Windows Service Pack which is stored in Starhub cache, everything else is a crawl. My 10mbps Singtel fix broadband will be in today. Hopefully, my decision to switch is correct.

same thing as mentioned before my singtel 3mbps is faster than my starhub 16mbps also

Neutral Newbie

Fully agreed. For singtel users, please beware on their VAS (value added services) when you re-contract with them. They usually comes with conditional free period trial and charges once trial period over. NO NOTICE/ REMINDER will be given to inform the promotion over. Most of us dont bother to refer the bills and worest, we leave it to GIRO to take care of the debiting. We are paying blindly without knowing these VAS are useful to us. THESE happen to my parents and uncles accounts: such as color me tone, caller ID, etc.

come to think of it, arent all our telecom/isp under the same cartel?

why cant they work out something together to bring 'usable' products to the customers.

if u've been to korea, their internet is blazing fast...cannot compare to singapore.

I think they are already on fiber optics...

Plus 90% of their content are local hence the access speed is very fast...

But in our case, even with NBN (fiber to home), we will still be slow because a lot of our content are from overseas...a possible solution is to get some of the big companies to put their servers here...

I'm just about to move out of Stuckhub Lagonline to SingTel.

Starhub promises so much bandwidth which only works between your home and their building. I can't even watch a YouTube video without waiting ages for it to buffer.

It's like a Ferrari that only has 500bhp inside the showroom. Once you drive out of the showroom, it's only 50bhp.

So think carefully before you move. SingTel might not be the most warm and cuddly of the lot, but at least they give you good bandwidth to sites outside of Singapore.

As mentioned earlier, I've moved to SingNet, and since my Starhub connection has not been disconnected, I decided to do some tests.

First, my 8mbps Starhub connection. As you can see, it is great for surfing Singapore sites, but once out of the country, it is horribly slow.

Full speed to Singapore server....

starhub-sg.png

Slow as hell to UK....

starhub-uk.png

Also slow to US!

starhub-us.png

In comparison, SingNet is same speed to Singapore server, but much faster to servers in other countries!

singnet-sg.png

Decent speed to the UK (> 3 times the speed)

singnet-uk.png

And > 4 times the speed to the US!

singnet-us.png

I later realized that I didn't reboot my Starhub modem to enable "Speed Boost", which upgrades by 8mbits line to 16 mbits..

So I restarted the modem and guess what? Singapore bandwidth almost double, bandwidth to UK and US are just as bad!!

starhub-2x-sg.png

starhub-2x-uk.png

starhub-2x-us.png

The numbers speak for themselves. Starhub tells you that they give you 16mbits but it is only fast in Singapore. Once you surf overseas sites, it becomes very very slow! Most of our web surfing is done with overseas websites, no matter how fast Starhub advertises their bandwidth, the web surfing experience is still crap.

I'm glad I switched!

singtel has the RED rewards program.https://redrewards.singtel.com/red/index.aspx

starhub has rewards, but you will always be short of points to redeem things unless you have at least 2 plans (mobile + bb etc) or a very expensive plan as the points expire annually or something.

and dude. seriously. everyones paying $100 to upgrade equipment at 12mths. the telcos do pay for the zero dollar phones still ya?? everyone's a 5, 10, 20 year customer etc so shouldn't all phones be free?

they are all bloody the same. to me the best thing to do is to just subscribe to whichever's cheaper at the time you need to recontract and dont expect quality (youtube wouldn't load - that's normal!), just be thankful you aren't disconnected.

go ahead and go over to starhub if it makes you happy.

ps: starhubs vouchers have fine prints. usually they are valid for new lines only.

Supersonic

Rewards usually need a lot of points and a lot of payment to achieve that.

I've Red points which are practically useless. Perhaps I didn't pay enough.

For Starhub, the points does have expiry. However, you can transfer from one acct, say from mobile phone to cable tv and it gets a 1 yr extension automatically...that is, unless they figure it out and cut off the loop hole.

have u ever experienced using mio and the house phone never rings? have u ever experienced sales person at singtel shop talk about renewing contract differently from those u call through the hotline?

singtel has the RED rewards program.https://redrewards.singtel.com/red/index.aspx

starhub has rewards, but you will always be short of points to redeem things unless you have at least 2 plans (mobile + bb etc) or a very expensive plan as the points expire annually or something.

and dude. seriously. everyones paying $100 to upgrade equipment at 12mths. the telcos do pay for the zero dollar phones still ya?? everyone's a 5, 10, 20 year customer etc so shouldn't all phones be free?

they are all bloody the same. to me the best thing to do is to just subscribe to whichever's cheaper at the time you need to recontract and dont expect quality (youtube wouldn't load - that's normal!), just be thankful you aren't disconnected.

go ahead and go over to starhub if it makes you happy.

ps: starhubs vouchers have fine prints. usually they are valid for new lines only.

Go take a look at Starhub's rewards, they have so many categories, but almost none are available, other than redemptions for their own services.

No dining, shopping vouchers ... etc

Well I have both and apparently I still don't pay enough. But really, I can't be bothered with the rewards. I go to whoever has better deals, particularly for broadband.

Anw the response was for TS who claims there's no reward over at st.

↡ Advertisement