Encounters with tyre shop

Hungee

Neutral Newbie

omg is this the shop at the entrance of the building? my friend was just cheated by this same shop last week! went there with him to see rims and saw a set that was pretty nice. got a quote from the boss for rims with tyre package. we are both novice with cars so we didnt know what was the market price for rims. wanted to go to the other shop to check but he told stopped us saying that the other shop is confirm more expensive cos they always anyhow quote price! in the end changed with him cos he was quite friendly and my friend quite liked the rims.

after we left we went to his workshop for servicing. while we were waiting we thought just ask another shop for quote just for fun. turns out that he sold us the rims for CLOSE TO DOUBLE THE MARKET PRICE!! we also found out that one brand of tyres that he claimed was from europe is actually from indonesia! my friend super angry immediately went back to the shop to confront the boss but he gave all sort of b-------t excuse that he cover us 24hours on the road and refuse to refund any money. no wonder the boss can drive big BMW.

damn hot but what can we do? willing buyer willing seller situation. take it as a lesson that we did not do our homework. i'm sure not all tyre shops are out to make a killing. just be sure to know what you're buying.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro,

Thank you for your kind support today.

But I hope u can clarify the tyre shop that tried to overcharge u by S$65 as it is not fair for us, Arrow Tyres.

People may not dare to come over to our shop due to this tread.

Cheers!

Yes ... in office I hate ARROWS ... always "siam" :D

But Today, ARROW is my HERO ... build my confidence ... Many Thanks & keep up the good work Ethan !

I was once told by the boss of a tyre shop 'if you want to improve the wet road-holding just slash some grooves into the semi slicks lah!'

never went back again

I got bad experience with that shop too..told me best price cannot get anywhere else. Told me one trade in price for rims and the next day I turned up to change..quoted me another pricing.

Neutral Newbie

I guess Im not the only one..the worst ever shop (with yo*ko signboards).

My first encounter with him was when I changed my battery there, charged me 160 for 60AH GT battery, but bo bian, battery dying already!

Recently, I wanted to go to the shop behind, but he flag me down when I pass by his shop, is it considered touting?

He tried to hard-sell me into buying a set of new 16' taiwanese rims with Neutron tyres for 2k (which he claimed is from Europe), and that is after trading in my 16' sport rims. That is like more than 2 times the market price. Yet the boss insisted that his pricings are the cheapest in the market.

When asked for the breakdown of the rim and tyre prices and trade-in price, he didnt want to answer me, change topic super fast.

Haven't even commit on any items and his workers started taking out my set of wheels.

That pisssed me off and I told him to install back.

The boss give me a super black face and slashed his price from 10% to 30% to stop me from going to the shop behind.

He keep bad-mouthing the shop behind to prevent me from going over which I think is totally unethical.

Dont know whether the BMW 5series parked nearby belongs to him, if that is the case, alot of ignorant consumers really fall for his tricks.

yea....all these tyre shops are like black shops. The owners and operators are 70% uneducated and their experience are very focused on the physical appearance and non-empirical data of each brand and patterns of tyres and rims. Not many in this industry possess very in depth knowledge of their products since they themselves read nothing more then simply the pictures and sizes printed on the catalogues. This, anyone will some english education will also be able to read.

That famous AMK shop....a graduate but thinks like a blue collar worker. Went there once and dun think i would like to go back again. Dun give me confidence at all.

But in general, these days i think all the tyre shops and workshop must be making too money. Attitude damn bad at times. When i approached Mcwell to enquire about fitting gauges and voiced my concerns with regards to the right parameters to monitor for my car, the sales person actually told me off saying if car overheated den dun drive. I was like..... WTF, if everyone had the logic that if not required den dun fix....i suppose the whole Mcwell would be out of business. Its a "want" businees and not a "need" business. But their sales person is engaging on a level which deters our "wants" desire. Oh well... i walked out and i prob won't none of their services again.

Back to these tyre shops..... the proprietors all sound more like coffee shop talk kings den anything else. Mine gooooood, yours baddddd........ :wacko: i feel stupid sometimes having to engage them at their levels just for a couple dollars off.

Bro, I don't usually bother and am not active in the forums at all. But I think your comments are very bias and that you are quite shallow in condemning the tyre shop owners/operators so easily. I feel quite offended even if your comments are not directed to us directly. These old Apek tyre shops are handed down generations and are trying to make a living the only way they know how! If you feel conned then why dont you try the real tyre shops and pay market prices for excellent knowledge and services! Then you may actually find out how little you know about your tyres and your ride. As the saying goes,

WANT TO PAY PEANUTs, YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET MONKEYS! Sounds quite typical, go kopitiam you are right to mention that and pay kopitiam price but want St Regis hotel level of service/knowledge! Hmmmm......

Plus/minus 300-400 tyre shops in Singapore. You always have a choice!

The way your comments are written. You make us all tyre shops sound stupid idiots and like hustlers, liars and con-men. Out to cheat car owners. THAT' NOT TRUE! in many tyre shops I know. Even my buddy ARROW TYRES is worried!!! If all the so called small shops are like that. You all would end up changing tyres overseas!

Just my 2 cents, Dont mean to offend anyone!

Neutral Newbie

Bro, I don't usually bother and am not active in the forums at all. But I think your comments are very bias and that you are quite shallow in condemning the tyre shop owners/operators so easily. I feel quite offended even if your comments are not directed to us directly. These old Apek tyre shops are handed down generations and are trying to make a living the only way they know how! If you feel conned then why dont you try the real tyre shops and pay market prices for excellent knowledge and services! Then you may actually find out how little you know about your tyres and your ride. As the saying goes,

WANT TO PAY PEANUTs, YOU WILL DEFINITELY GET MONKEYS! Sounds quite typical, go kopitiam you are right to mention that and pay kopitiam price but want St Regis hotel level of service/knowledge! Hmmmm......

Plus/minus 300-400 tyre shops in Singapore. You always have a choice!

The way your comments are written. You make us all tyre shops sound stupid idiots and like hustlers, liars and con-men. Out to cheat car owners. THAT' NOT TRUE! in many tyre shops I know. Even my buddy ARROW TYRES is worried!!! If all the so called small shops are like that. You all would end up changing tyres overseas!

Just my 2 cents, Dont mean to offend anyone!

After these incidents, we are more wary of all tyre shops.

For my case, is it justifiable that I pay more than 2 times the market price just for his years of experience and knowledge? I am not someone who is very-price conscious (have no qualm about paying a little more for good service and technical knowledge), but surely this guy has made me sit up on his pricings.

As consumers, surely we look forward to honesty and reasonable pricings.

Is there anyone who can protect consumers like us?

I hear say from ppl that the y*ko tyre (first centre) shop boss is somebody in the tyre association, pardon me if im wrong.

Its not like he's buying 1 rim, why must buying 1 tyre cost more than buying 4?

anyway, i find the little run down shop in ToaPayoh lor 8 very reasonable.

I had a very bad experience with a this shop (Y*p-B*o). [furious]

Yes have to be careful of tire shops.....sometimes is not the shop owners but the workers who spoil market.

I once when to a shop in thompson, attended by the boss with good service. Bought Yoko DNA Db with reasonable price and they even do complimentary repair of rim scratches. The boss taught me some tricks on tyre maintenance too.

Few months down the road, my tire side wall kena scratches from kerb and some bit peeled off. When to shops near my place, some say much change 2 tyres and some give crazy prices (shall not go into that) in the end go back to the thompson shop, met the boss again....one look he told me side wall internal is not damage and no problem, tell me not to waste money as the tire will still last. Such honesty I'm impressed!

After around 2yr later, tyre botak liao so without thinking I go back to the thompson shop. Funny thing is the Boss is not around. The worker looked unfamiliar...but then 2 yrs alot of things can change so maybe is new employees. I ask the PRC worker the price... quoted around 30% higher! Ask how come so much? The worker say 2 years tyre prices increased alot. Think he could be right I accepted. But wat later shocked me.

The prc worker bought out the tyres and proceed to change I notice the tyres look different....closer look I realise it's Yoko ASPEC DB!! I told the worker I don't want ASPEC Db, I want DNA Db, the worker keep arguing to me say it's the Same and they changed name from DNA Db to Aspec Db...the worker insisted by keep pointing me the "Db" word.....WTF although my knowledge for Tyres then was not as rich as now but luckily I know that DNA Db was the newer model (as mentioned by the Boss last time, and by forumming). Immediately I order him to fix back my old tires and I drove off.

In the end I when to a recommended Tyre shop opp the jewellery shop who order the DNA Db for me...at a price only less than $10 more than my original price!! That's the price inflation the shop guy say! And how the f did the thompson shop want to charge me 30% more for a total different and inferior tyre???

I'm not sure if the Boss of the shop is still there but somethings I pass the shop, I don't see him anymore...maybe shop change management/ownership or shop employed a dishonest worker I don't know....but I guess that's how I lost a supposingly good lobang.

Is the shop u mention at the shell near to nee soon?

if it is den the mgmt has changed.

the old one i believe is the same uncle is nice. he gave me some tips on rims n such. although he knows im just fishing for quotes.

didnt buy from him in the end.

Dun worry..... we can't change tyres overseas.....so we will still continue to be chop carrot by the local tyre shops anyhow. You shops have nothing to worry about no matter what i say. If a shop is truly good, it should be filtered down to their workers. It is in the shop owner's interest and responsibilty to train their workers. And in time, reputation will follow. Cars need to change tyre, period.....drivers have no choice really. And banding in this forum is the only place to suss out and avoid the black sheeps.

And because there are indeed so many shops locally, i only go to that 1 or 2 whom i know the proprietor personally. This industry is far from transparent and the bad experiences out there only goes further to give you guys a bad name.

:blink: how come tyre shop owners coming in here to debate...best just read and let it be...

getting involved not gona help u much

Dun worry..... we can't change tyres overseas.....

Why can't change tyres overseas ?

I changed mine 4pcs at Hawk Tayar JB a yr ago. Last week went for the 2nd rotation & high-speed balancing.

Maybe prices not cheaper, just +/- abit.

But they are willing to entertain request for high-speed balancing [pay abit more than normal balancing]. Nicely requested to remove rear drum cover and blow away the brake dust, ok done].

Local tire shops either dun have high-speed balancing, or hide them only for high-value customers.

Just my humble opinion.

I work just behind there , thought of going over a few times to look for rims, luckily never go. But it seems that they have quite alot of promotion in the markleplace section.

lol some brothers mention coming to forum and ask for good tyres shop recommendation .

if i am a tyre shop owner , i confirm post and recom my own shop right .

1 man meat is another man posion , good tyre shop u have to find and hunt your self ,

every car owner have different expecation and needs .

my only advice is dun change tyre in a hurry , go to some shops if u have time, see what they have to offer,

is it suitable for u etc etc ,

Neutral Newbie

Hi,there. [wave]

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.I had problem with my car tyres once and went to this shop at yew tee industrial est.I needed to change my balding tyres badly 'cos inspection coming soon and could only afford second hand ones. [blush] The owner is quite nice and he gave me a good price for a pair of tyres.Moreover his service is good.After that ,whenever I got tyre problems I'll go to his shop.

Hi,there. [wave]

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.I had problem with my car tyres once and went to this shop at yew tee industrial est.I needed to change my balding tyres badly 'cos inspection coming soon and could only afford second hand ones. [blush] The owner is quite nice and he gave me a good price for a pair of tyres.Moreover his service is good.After that ,whenever I got tyre problems I'll go to his shop.

ya, thats y i say every driver got their own tyre shop, your shop take care of all your car tyre problem, maybe his tyre price is slightly higher then the cheapest quotation u an get in sg, esp amk area,

do u want to save that bit of money and give up your good relationship with your currentl tyreshop and go for the cheaper place?

if u do so, next time u have tyre problem, u go to your old shop for help, u feel they will help u ?

1 very good example, u travel al the way to change at a cheaper price, but later u find out balancing not done properly.

u do not want to go all the way back to q and do a simple balancing .

u went back to your old shop ask for help, u can try and see what happen, i try b4 my self personally, the experience i encounter is not good to mention here .

Neutral Newbie

ya, thats y i say every driver got their own tyre shop, your shop take care of all your car tyre problem, maybe his tyre price is slightly higher then the cheapest quotation u an get in sg, esp amk area,

do u want to save that bit of money and give up your good relationship with your currentl tyreshop and go for the cheaper place?

if u do so, next time u have tyre problem, u go to your old shop for help, u feel they will help u ?

1 very good example, u travel al the way to change at a cheaper price, but later u find out balancing not done properly.

u do not want to go all the way back to q and do a simple balancing .

u went back to your old shop ask for help, u can try and see what happen, i try b4 my self personally, the experience i encounter is not good to mention here .

ya hopefully when u change tyres at one shop they will remember u. i dun need super good service but just hope that they are honest and reliable. my tyres also gonna botak soon haiz. gotta find a good shop then stick to them.

↡ Advertisement