Jaywalker on Upper Thomson Road

Walkingtree

(edited)

I was driving down Upper Thomson Road this afternoon (15 June) at around 12.30pm. From Sembawang towards Lornie direction.

Just before the church area, where there is a opening in the road divider for motorists who want to u-turn to Thomson Plaza, one old man casually just jaywalk across the road. Even though there were 3 cars approaching, the old man also don't care, just slowly walk.

I remember this was abt the same venue where an old man who was a ex-olympic medal weightlifter got knock down by a car recently when crossing the road. The authorities have already put up barricades on the road dividers, so now the jaywalkers just try to go thru' the divider opening at the u-turn. There is traffic light crossing further down, and overhead bridge further up.

I posted the footage from my in-car camera on u-tube. Not sure if u guys can access cos' it's my 1st time attaching video. Anyway, luckily the white Lexus managed to brake in time, and the black Forester also nearly hit the Lexus backside. My car was on Lane 1, but not speeding cos' that place now always got hidden cameras. I honk at the Ah Pek when i drove past, but he just carry on walking. Not sure if he cross the other half of the road towards Thomson Plaza in the same manner. I think he probably did cos' his attitude is just like that. Anyway i can't be bothered to confirm lah, it is his life.

The authorities should seriously take action against the jaywalkers there before a repeat of the very sad fatal accident happens. If this old fella is the father/grandfather of any of the forumers reading, please take care of him lah. Don't let him get killed, and get motorists into trouble in the process for no good reason. No motorists in their right mind wants to knock or kill any pedestrians. But i think pedestrians need to play their part too, and not assume that motorists can always brake in time.

Edited by Walkingtree
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

your camera footage and quality is good.

What equipment did you use?

Thanks

vigi MT-something. Can't remember the number. Haha. But oval shap one.

Edited by Walkingtree

some old people nowadays think they are entiltled to respect and just take things for granted. Can ask this type go play wif spider. Don't deserve any respect.

(edited)

Hey bro,

Where did you get it & about how much ?

Wah lau, seems like my in-car camera receiving more attention than the very serious road hazard that I'm trying to highlight leh. [laugh]

Bro, I got it at autoshow in Singapore expo last year. According to the fella who sold it to me (he says he's the boss of the company), i'm one of the first few in Sg that owns this version. According to my vague memory, i got a special price that day at $250, cos' 1st sale of the day, and they were also trying to break into the market. But i must caveat that i can't remember for sure. You can check in http://www.vigidrive.com/products.html. The current retail price is listed at $329. Maybe can bargain.

To the bro in earlier reply, my current model is the MT12. Thinking of getting the MDTR-9 for my other car so that i need not transfer from car to car. But listed price of $439 a bit steep. Now need to go and dig out the name card of the "boss" and see if he can give me loyalty discount. Hahahaha...

Ok, off-topic liao. The serious issue is still the Ah Pek jaywalking. :angry:

Edited by Walkingtree

Neutral Newbie

Wah lau, seems like my in-car camera receiving more attention than the very serious road hazard that I'm trying to highlight leh. [laugh]

Bro, I got it at autoshow in Singapore expo last year. According to the fella who sold it to me (he says he's the boss of the company), i'm one of the first few in Sg that owns this version. According to my vague memory, i got a special price that day at $250, cos' 1st sale of the day, and they were also trying to break into the market. But i must caveat that i can't remember for sure. You can check in http://www.vigidrive.com/products.html. The current retail price is listed at $329. Maybe can bargain.

To the bro in earlier reply, my current model is the MT12. Thinking of getting the MDTR-9 for my other car so that i need not transfer from car to car. But listed price of $439 a bit steep. Now need to go and dig out the name card of the "boss" and see if he can give me loyalty discount. Hahahaha...

Ok, off-topic liao. The serious issue is still the Ah Pek jaywalking. :angry:

LOL who cares about the ah pek....... i also interested in the camera...

Yup! I am more interested in your camera than the old folk. [rolleyes]

Supercharged

i think the uncle timing very accurate ^_^

back to topic, i do agree that this is a hot spot for jay walkers. every time i passed here, regardless of the timing sure can find JW. but i understand for elderly folks, climbing the stairs to cross to the other side is indeed an exhausting affair.

i believe the relevant authority is planning something for this area cos few mths back after the fatal accident, there were alot of counters being stationed there EVERYDAY from MORNING till NIGHT.

i think the uncle timing very accurate ^_^

back to topic, i do agree that this is a hot spot for jay walkers. every time i passed here, regardless of the timing sure can find JW. but i understand for elderly folks, climbing the stairs to cross to the other side is indeed an exhausting affair.

i believe the relevant authority is planning something for this area cos few mths back after the fatal accident, there were alot of counters being stationed there EVERYDAY from MORNING till NIGHT.

Timing accurate my a$$. You never see the Lexus jam brake ah? Too bad i never check whether the IS250 got upgrade to BBK or not. The Forester also jam like F to avoid whacking the Lexus backside. Could see the Forester try to siam to the right, then saw the Ah Pek continue walking, then LL swerve back left behind the Lexus again. Really drama lor. And best part the ah pek continue crossing like nobody's business, even right across my path. Lucky i already start tapping my brakes liao.

I know overhead bridge tiring for old folks lah, could have use the traffic lights just outside the church only.

Anyway, i can vouch that the Lexus wasn't speeding. I think everybody already know that stretch got a lot of ambush click click. Just that he probably didn't expect the Ah Pek to continue crossing when it's so obvious the car is coming. White colour car, broad daylight, how to not see. The Ah Pek maybe hard of hearing (cos' he totally no reaction to people horning), but i'm sure he is not blind (cos' he can cross the road in a straight line). If anything happens, no amount of blaming will bring him back.

some old people nowadays think they are entiltled to respect and just take things for granted. Can ask this type go play wif spider. Don't deserve any respect.

Please don't say that. I didn't mean my post to be disrespectful to old folks. In fact, i appreciate their past efforts in contributing to the nation to provide subsequent generations like us with a more comfortable and prosperous future. So frankly, it will pain me a lot if i had to witness him getting knocked down today. Fortunately nothing happened to him. I'm just hoping that perhaps one of his family may see this and at least pay a bit more attention to him. If something happens to him today, how would the family feel?

Furthermore, would they insist on pushing all the blame onto the car driver? Which in this case I don't think the Lexus driver can be entirely to blame. I know some people will say as long as car knock into pedestrian, the car driver is assumed to be at fault. But facts of the case may not always be so. And old people are especially vulnerable. They may not die from the impact, but they could still die from the resulting heart attack or haemorrhage (internal bleeding), which was exactly what happened to a friend of mine 10 years ago when he knocked down an old man along Holland Road near Pandan Valley. My friend was travelling no more than 30km/h, vindicated by the TP investigation. If whack into a younger guy, maybe the fella might be able to stand up and punch my friend back. But the old man died from his injuries.

I think this is more of a case of social responsibility which concentrates on the aspects of road awareness and road hazard education.

It is not just the authorities' responsibility but everyone else.

Someone needs to go "counsel" the ah peh la. [laugh]

Turbocharged
(edited)

Brp.... I think the timing of the ah pek is quite ok leh......

Although the Lexus have to brake, I wouldn't consider that as jam brake la....it's not like he needs to do an abrupt stop. It is more of braking to slow the car down.

But still jaywalking is wrong.

But heck the ah pek la.....tell us more about your camera please...does the shop install everything swee swee for you or you DIY the wiring yourself?

Edited by Icedbs

Supercharged

Timing accurate my a$$. You never see the Lexus jam brake ah? Too bad i never check whether the IS250 got upgrade to BBK or not. The Forester also jam like F to avoid whacking the Lexus backside. Could see the Forester try to siam to the right, then saw the Ah Pek continue walking, then LL swerve back left behind the Lexus again. Really drama lor. And best part the ah pek continue crossing like nobody's business, even right across my path. Lucky i already start tapping my brakes liao.

I know overhead bridge tiring for old folks lah, could have use the traffic lights just outside the church only.

Anyway, i can vouch that the Lexus wasn't speeding. I think everybody already know that stretch got a lot of ambush click click. Just that he probably didn't expect the Ah Pek to continue crossing when it's so obvious the car is coming. White colour car, broad daylight, how to not see. The Ah Pek maybe hard of hearing (cos' he totally no reaction to people horning), but i'm sure he is not blind (cos' he can cross the road in a straight line). If anything happens, no amount of blaming will bring him back.

from yr vid, i can see the lexus already tapping his brake, i don't understand why the forester still speed up & reduce the gap (observed after he passed the van on extreme left).

i can only deduced that the driver jammed brake (1) when his attempt to filter into yr lane failed cos of the ah pek (observed his vehicle moving to right side) (2) he didn't realized that he is pretty close to the lexus

Brp.... I think the timing of the ah pek is quite ok leh......

Although the Lexus have to brake, I wouldn't consider that as jam brake la....it's not like he needs to do an abrupt stop. It is more of braking to slow the car down.

But still jaywalking is wrong.

But heck the ah pek la.....tell us more about your camera please...does the shop install everything swee swee for you or you DIY the wiring yourself?

It wasn't at the shop, like i said, it was at autoshow last year. Originally he wanted me to bring down to the shop for his people to fix. But since there were not many people at the initial opening time of around 10.30pm, he changed his mind and personally fix up everything for me, right in the big open carpark of Sgp Expo. Maybe because i'm a very friendly and chatty guy lah. Weather was hot like hell, and he was in long sleeves and jeans! I sat in the passenger seat beside him all the time to chat with him. Pai seh lah, so hot and he still fix for me. If i stand in the shade far far away, than i must be damn a$$hole right? [laugh] Really appreciated his effort.

Frankly the wiring not to difficult to fix. The original wire is very long, so should be able run from behind the rear view mirror, through the roof insulation, down the A pillar, beneath the footwell carpet and connect to the cigarette lighter on the centre console. After a few weeks, i pull out the wire from the driver's side, and ran it down the passenger side all by myself. No big deal lah. Just make sure they configure the date and time for you.

I think the cam is about the same quality as my $170 one, ($200, if you include installation). [:p]

Congrats bro. Sometimes it helps to shop around a bit for the best deal lah. [laugh] But i think mine has been very reliable so far and i'm pretty happy with it.

Anyway, obviously i'm not pushing any product here. My agenda is to highlight jaywalking. [:)] So i just answer any queries that bros post regarding my camera matter of factly. They make their own decision on their budget and product preference. [cool]

↡ Advertisement