Turtle watching

Tom_kkh

Hi guys,

Please share other than Kuantan, anywhere else closest to Singapore that I can drive for turtle watching?

Hopefully can do a trip this National day to watch it. Must be real cool!

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

Please share other than Kuantan, anywhere else closest to Singapore that I can drive for turtle watching?

geylang... alot of or gui tao... [:p] sorry couldn't help it.

anyway not worth to go kuantan to see... my fren just back say nothing to see..

Some of the replies are so creative and funny! [laugh] Nothing like a good laugh to start the day - thanks guys.

Agreed, it's not worth the drive up as nobody can tell for sure when and where the turtles will appear.

Like what the bros here mentioned, it depends on luck. Sometimes you can wait for the entire night and not a single turtle will turn up. I remember I once went to Terengganu where the beach is famous for such activities. I was lucky to be able to catch a view of the turtle that night. It was huge!!! But was pissed off by a flock of tourist who kept talking, laughing and smoking.. in the end the turtle did not lay any eggs and went back to the sea.

I know it depends on luck no guarantee.

I been watching them swimming when i dive, never seen them laying egg, so it will be a great experience to see another side of them.

but where near to Singapore can i try my luck?

Guys, just want to share how we watched turtle for free during my trip last year.

1st of all, recce a bit during dinner, make sure along the coastline (10-20km), you aga aga know where the beaches are and which petrol kiosks are there.

In most resorts/chalets along cherating, tourists can register and leave your mobile number. When got turtle sighted, they will call you and ask you to meet at a particular point to gather, which is usually a petrol kiosk. Then you will have to make payment there and then they will bring you to the place.

What happened the last time for us was that we registered, and on the 2nd night the phone rang at ard 12am and the guy told us the petrol kiosk to meet. By then wifey and parents all say they want to slp... So we rejected the guy, saying we are tired. But it happened that I was v interested, so I dragged wifey out of her bed to go with me.

The idea is that they will most likely meet at petrol kiosk closest to the sighting. So basically, the phone call from the person already tell you where the turtle roughly is. Based on this assumption, we went turtle hunting for the location ourselves. Its v easy to find 1... If you drive along the beach and you see suddenly got a lot of SG cars parked by the side, cfm that is the place of the sighting.

We found the turtle, blended in with the crowd (it is too dark... they wouldnt know if you are part of their group. Anyway the turtle is not theirs... anyone can go and see de ma...)

V nice experience. When we were there the turtle already came onto the beach, laying eggs.. The guide will organise some "release your own baby turtle to the sea" event. Then the mother turtle will go back to the sea once her business is done.

Notes:

1. Not every night have turtle 1... Pls read up for the period of months that have turtle.

2. The impact on wildlife is questionable. SO many ppl flash the turtle with their camera... I think if i m the mother turtle i will be stressed.

3. The eggs laid by the mother turtle is immediately dug up by the guides. I think they hatch it, so that the next batch of tourists can "release baby turtle into the sea". I think turtle eggs is sold in the market by the locals.

4. Clearly lesser and lesser turtles every year.. So if you haven't seen it, its a while stocks last thing.

cheers.

Hmm... this is not true. been there on dec 2009. Able to see some turtles + releasing of ard 10 two weeks baby turtle into the open sea with my two young kids... ^_^

Hi guys,

you wan see turtle can stare at my avatar. [laugh]

ok ok.. but seriously speaking.. besides underwater world.. not sure where else would be good to watch turtles. Bro Windchoco's suggestion seems very interesting.. maybe i'll drag my boy go check out his suggestion with me. :D

Guys, just want to share how we watched turtle for free during my trip last year.

1st of all, recce a bit during dinner, make sure along the coastline (10-20km), you aga aga know where the beaches are and which petrol kiosks are there.

In most resorts/chalets along cherating, tourists can register and leave your mobile number. When got turtle sighted, they will call you and ask you to meet at a particular point to gather, which is usually a petrol kiosk. Then you will have to make payment there and then they will bring you to the place.

What happened the last time for us was that we registered, and on the 2nd night the phone rang at ard 12am and the guy told us the petrol kiosk to meet. By then wifey and parents all say they want to slp... So we rejected the guy, saying we are tired. But it happened that I was v interested, so I dragged wifey out of her bed to go with me.

The idea is that they will most likely meet at petrol kiosk closest to the sighting. So basically, the phone call from the person already tell you where the turtle roughly is. Based on this assumption, we went turtle hunting for the location ourselves. Its v easy to find 1... If you drive along the beach and you see suddenly got a lot of SG cars parked by the side, cfm that is the place of the sighting.

We found the turtle, blended in with the crowd (it is too dark... they wouldnt know if you are part of their group. Anyway the turtle is not theirs... anyone can go and see de ma...)

V nice experience. When we were there the turtle already came onto the beach, laying eggs.. The guide will organise some "release your own baby turtle to the sea" event. Then the mother turtle will go back to the sea once her business is done.

Notes:

1. Not every night have turtle 1... Pls read up for the period of months that have turtle.

2. The impact on wildlife is questionable. SO many ppl flash the turtle with their camera... I think if i m the mother turtle i will be stressed.

3. The eggs laid by the mother turtle is immediately dug up by the guides. I think they hatch it, so that the next batch of tourists can "release baby turtle into the sea". I think turtle eggs is sold in the market by the locals.

4. Clearly lesser and lesser turtles every year.. So if you haven't seen it, its a while stocks last thing.

cheers.

Do you know if the one you saw was a giant leatherback turtle? They are different from the usual ones i.e. green/hawksbill turtles we see in underwater world.

Last I heard they have all but disappeared from Malaysia's east coast since years ago [:(]

Hi guys,

schweetness, i likes that, will check it out soon if time permits, I like turtles a lot :D fascinating animals