Encounters with strangers asking for money . .

Vroomtattat

What is the world coming to? Had 2 encounters with strangers asking for money . . . asking and not begging!

Yesterday was at Jalan Bukit Merah carpark near the Thai temple, had sent my sonny for his weekly maths tuition and I was washing/claybaring my ride when a guy in his 20's approached me.

"Mister" he said . . . "I want to take bus but got not enough money, can spare me 20cents?"

"Huh? 20 cents? Wait arhh" I said, wiping my hands dry before checking my pockets.

Took out a dollar coin and passed it to him, "Nah!"

He looked at me, suprised. I saw his look and asked "Why? Not enough arhh?"

"No, no . . . I only asked for 20 cents"

"Nevermind lah, bye bye." and waved him off.

"Thank you, thank you . . . pai seh leh, I only need 20 cents"

"Nevermind lor" and he sauntered off.

"Lao hiah" I thought to myself "you better go take bus and not buy ciggies with my money"

TODAY, Sunday afternoon. I was at my block's carpark waxing my car when a young malay girl came up from behind me and said "EXCUSE me!"

I jumped slightly as I got a shock.

"Huh? wat isit?" I turned around.

"Can I have $10?" she said.

"Ten dollars?? You say $10?" I asked in disbelieve. She nodded her head.

"No, no, no" I wagged my index finger "One dollar can but no ten dollars, sorry arhh"

She walked off without looking back.

What a weekend! The only times people asked me for money are during Saturdays' flag days but these encounters with strangers asking for money, I have never come across except for the one unker who dragged his aged mother along asking for money . . . well, that was another incident which I related in a thread many moons ago.

Strange!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

if ask for 10 20 cents for bus i think is okie lah. Sometims really no choice. I saw some people offer to change notes for coin to take bus, but the person just give the other party some coins and say is okie.

Some i encounter is ask for $2 to eat food. my friend ask the person sit down and offer to buy the food for him but he say dun wan -_-.

Neutral Newbie

a malay guy at yishun mrt station ask me for $10 just to take bus.... but after a few day the same guy come again to ask for $10 from me again this time i did't give he start to scold me......... ask for money and don't want to work... world changes

Turbocharged

AMK hawker centre got this auntie with some mump-like disorder on her neck....go to table and table, rudely blocking on table and show hand saying in hokkien rude she want money....like the world owns her.

Yes she got some condition, but she still got hands and legs, the mumps are not a good enough excuse to demand for money....she could have easiler sold tissue paper and I'd gladly buy from her.

Neutral Newbie

They r everywhere la...Poor singaporeans getting bigger I think...

Dun like dun give...if got some extra cash then give abit la...no harm mah..

But $10 too much la...if $2 below ok la

my place got this Chinese unker...likes to gamble...sometimes see him asking for money at kopitiam...

Most of times at 4D outlet...Dreaming of getting rich?

At the bukit merah libarary car park a few months ago.

I had a young lady come to me asking for money to buy food for her siblings, saying she no money bla bla bla.

Since the coffee shop is just next to the car park, I told her to go to the coffee shop I buy for her... she starting giving stupid excuses, saying now she want to cook for her siblings and I should give her cash.

I told her NTUC is also beside the car park, go there buy and I pay for her..... she lan lan shut up say no need liao and quickly walk away, no doubt to wait for the next carrot.

Some people are just out for an easy buck.

yes. twice. once many eons ago when i was at simei mrt and a old granny came asked for money.

another once at hdb carpark got this young indian kid.

Neutral Newbie

I seem to get approached often by such ppl. Some want money, some want cig, some want to see my hand for fortune telling [confused]

Recently had a young malay gal ask me for cig.

I seem to get approached often by such ppl. Some want money, some want cig, some want to see my hand for fortune telling [confused]

Recently had a young malay gal ask me for cig.

To be honest its getting harder to tell the difference between a con man and genuine donation collector.

As for cigarettes.. I give lah.. since me and my boyfriend smoke.. [laugh]

I've met such people. I told them to GET LOST!

If you asked me for sandwich, a drink of water or my shirt. OK but money? GET LOST!

Cigarette easy.

If the fella comes up to you and say "Can you spare me a smoke?", why not? Just pass him one stick and light up for him.

It is OK. But money? GET LOST!

What is the world coming to? Had 2 encounters with strangers asking for money . . . asking and not begging!

Yesterday was at Jalan Bukit Merah carpark near the Thai temple, had sent my sonny for his weekly maths tuition and I was washing/claybaring my ride when a guy in his 20's approached me.

"Mister" he said . . . "I want to take bus but got not enough money, can spare me 20cents?"

"Huh? 20 cents? Wait arhh" I said, wiping my hands dry before checking my pockets.

Took out a dollar coin and passed it to him, "Nah!"

He looked at me, suprised. I saw his look and asked "Why? Not enough arhh?"

"No, no . . . I only asked for 20 cents"

"Nevermind lah, bye bye." and waved him off.

"Thank you, thank you . . . pai seh leh, I only need 20 cents"

"Nevermind lor" and he sauntered off.

"Lao hiah" I thought to myself "you better go take bus and not buy ciggies with my money"

TODAY, Sunday afternoon. I was at my block's carpark waxing my car when a young malay girl came up from behind me and said "EXCUSE me!"

I jumped slightly as I got a shock.

"Huh? wat isit?" I turned around.

"Can I have $10?" she said.

"Ten dollars?? You say $10?" I asked in disbelieve. She nodded her head.

"No, no, no" I wagged my index finger "One dollar can but no ten dollars, sorry arhh"

She walked off without looking back.

What a weekend! The only times people asked me for money are during Saturdays' flag days but these encounters with strangers asking for money, I have never come across except for the one unker who dragged his aged mother along asking for money . . . well, that was another incident which I related in a thread many moons ago.

Strange!

I think in this case its probably genuine. He probably just needed a bit more for the bus fare but got more due your generousity. [thumbsup] Hence his surprise and his thanks.

But those asking for $10 are just too much.

Neutral Newbie

When I was studying at SP, my fren and I used relac at this coffeeshop nearby. Got this guy come daily and ask cig from everyone till someones gives. It got quite irritating after awhile since we were there almost everyday.

some 5-6yrs back, cool breezy dizzling morning decided to go early lunch, same time to deposit coy ckqs in o*b*, then look see around in lot1 cck.

whlie i was waiting 4parking lot, i saw a boy of 8-9yrs old approaching 2-3ppl who were aligting their cars.

none bother him & jz walkd away.

i walkd out with umbrella, he came to me talkd very politely that can i spare him $5?

i hold him under my umbrella & walkd with him 2o*b*, asking him if i give u $5, r u ging to spent the $ in arcade games?

he said he wantd 2buy lunch for his sister! where is ur sis? i askd.

he pointed to a lady who was holding a 3-4 yr old girl, standing along the walk way leading to quick deposit box of o*b*.

i xperienced difficulties in life w/out any help fr my well to do family, i understand the meaning of "susah" in life.

for $5 he+mum+sis cud hardly covers lunch + dinner. then wat 2do tmr ?

i know is not my resposibility, but atleast he was sincere on his statement.

some times life........

Ya! Got kena alot of times also! That time parking at Arab Street there.. Then got one guy came up to me after I alighted and said: "Eh brother, can give me $2? Can lah. You drive car sia. Can one lah." I was like WTF?!

↡ Advertisement