Sign in to follow this  
Watwheels

Rare Sighting (Ornithology)

Caught a glimpse of a White-Throated Kingfisher in my banana plantation this morning.

Taken from my older Fujifilm F31fd 6.3 megapix compact cam. A bit dark cos it was taken behind a heavily tinted window. Dun wanna use flash cos it will scare away the bird. :D

Kinda strange cos nearby there is no drain/pond/river to fish. Upon Google the bird actually eat insects, small lizards and small snakes. Chiak chua. :D

post-18163-1278300761_thumb.jpg

post-18163-1278300788_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

errrr................ hope you not naked from waist down standing near to the window.....

the bird can mistaken it fat worm hor....... [sly][laugh][laugh]

The bird can't see me otherwise it would have flown away before I can take any pic. The window is reflective type, birdy can only see itself. :D

the bird could have saw a lizard outside your window and was waiting for chances to catch it ........ :ph34r:

used to see this birds catching lizards during my kampong days...... [sunny]

tats not ur usual king fisher man. very nice :)

↡ Advertisement

the bird could have saw a lizard outside your window and was waiting for chances to catch it ........ :ph34r:

used to see this birds catching lizards during my kampong days...... [sunny]

Haha...

Nice. You got chance to stay in kampong. Up north?

tats not ur usual king fisher man. very nice :)

Yeah. First time I saw it, it was quite a distance away. Today so upclose I quickly grab a camera.

maybe saw anaconda? [:p]

Sorry I dun stay or work in a forest. [;)]

maybe escaped from some private collector's aviary

I dun think so. It's quite common in S.E. Asia and in parts in India, Myanmar and Burma. They are very human shy. That's why it's such a rare sight.

good work

have more pictures next time

refreshing to seen animal lovers around

thanks

I will try. Cos not easy to take pictures when the birds only rest for a while and fly off.

Caught a glimpse of a White-Throated Kingfisher in my banana plantation this morning.

Taken from my older Fujifilm F31fd 6.3 megapix compact cam. A bit dark cos it was taken behind a heavily tinted window. Dun wanna use flash cos it will scare away the bird. :D

Kinda strange cos nearby there is no drain/pond/river to fish. Upon Google the bird actually eat insects, small lizards and small snakes. Chiak chua. :D

wah i remember this fella!

when i was studying in primary school there was this kingfisher(looked exactly like this one!) flew straight onto a closed window in my class and fell down to the floor. the poor fella was motionless. then my teacher took some water and sprinkled on him then gave him some water to drink. once he regained consciousness he took off again. after that the teacher became quite popular with us due to his kindness.

I will try. Cos not easy to take pictures when the birds only rest for a while and fly off.

tempted it with some lizards lor....... ^_^

then the bird will stay longer and maybe, every morning comes to your window...... [sly]

It's quite a common bird in Singapore, though in my experience not as common as the collared kingfisher in urban areas. Not surprising it can appear there even without water bodies nearby.

Copied from http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/birds/Halcyon_smyrnensis.htm -

"Status and threats: White-throated Kingfishers are not considered at risk in Singapore, possibly because of their broad diet. They are found everywhere, not necessarily near water. Besides ponds, reservoirs, and coastal areas, they are also found in forest edges, scrub, open woodlands, gardens and rural/suburban areas."

Off topic a little - when do those banana trees flower? I see some fruit on the first photo, but strangely I seldom ever come across banana flowers in Singapore even after searching so many trees at different times.

Edited by Bicolor

my fren garden banana got bloom flowers before.

try tying a red string to the banana flower and u get sexy lady to service u till dry.

↡ Advertisement