Stock is best

Verve

Mostly true, but not 100%.

There is always the cost factor (target production cost), Can the parts meet the volume required, & how easy is it to mass produce, emission, reliability etc.

Something like aftermarket welded manifold would be difficult to mass produced, hence most mass production car manifold are cast, which limit air flow.

Or carbon fiber parts, they are light but also very expensive & hard to mass produce.

Just illustrating a few examples.

Ya bro, sad but true. A lot of times, decisions to use certain parts in stock cars are based on pure commercial decisions. Happens in the GTR and Evo X...

[i agree with TS stock is the best but not all are "stockist". For instance, if that you drive a Civic RR (300 made and only 1 in S'pore), this car cost 1.5 times more then the normal R. If that you drive the RR stock, I would say you have good taste but is money well spent? And also since this car cost so much, can it outrun other performance car at the same price? I don't think so. But if that you don't drive this car stock, I will say you ruin the car and since it cost so much, why don't get a normal type R and have $50K in spare to mod the car [:p] .

I am a stockist and when I just got my new used car, I remove the open pod air filter and replace with original ones. The only "upgrades" not removed are coilovers, upgraded rims and tires [laugh] .

I have no doubts with reputable tuners. They tune cars with the correct equipment and parts.

The funny thing in Singapore is drivers think by putting in bits and pieces of branded parts and some recommendations by the so called mechanics who themselves have no knowledge in engineering, their car is better.

if thats the case, pls keep it stock.

[i agree with TS stock is the best but not all are "stockist". For instance, if that you drive a Civic RR (300 made and only 1 in S'pore), this car cost 1.5 times more then the normal R. If that you drive the RR stock, I would say you have good taste but is money well spent? And also since this car cost so much, can it outrun other performance car at the same price? I don't think so. But if that you don't drive this car stock, I will say you ruin the car and since it cost so much, why don't get a normal type R and have $50K in spare to mod the car [:p] .

I am a stockist and when I just got my new used car, I remove the open pod air filter and replace with original ones. The only "upgrades" not removed are coilovers, upgraded rims and tires [laugh] .

means if you buy an RR, you are a stupid buyer who kena carrot [laugh]

I have no doubts with reputable tuners. They tune cars with the correct equipment and parts.

The funny thing in Singapore is drivers think by putting in bits and pieces of branded parts and some recommendations by the so called mechanics who themselves have no knowledge in engineering, their car is better.

i only go with entire tuning packages.

eg. if you go kleemann then go k2 or k3

if you go MTM go stage 2 or stage 3

dont chapalang anyhow everything also throw in

just giving example because HKS is the most well known...

not really ..

there are other proven companies like tomei and jun.

not really ..

there are other proven companies like tomei and jun.

okok u win can? i dont dabble in jipun so i only know HKS [laugh]

anyone agree with me ? - i am talking about normal mods like vs, air filter and ecu etc

Through the years i have tried this mod and that mod.

yes there are performance improvements but on a cost to benefit ratio, its not worth it. 2k-3k to get 10 bhp more ? for 5k one could already get a slightly better car model

one mech i spoke with said stock is best in terms of maintenance and etc

i think he is right, the factory engineers have already figured out the best combination for the car.

any thoughts or am i truly wrong.

I reckon perhaps, your statement should be "stock is the best - for family cars"....

Yes, we are not car designers or engineers. Even if one is an expert, he still lack the facilities.

I have given up on heavy improvement to my car.

I have asked many engineers (mechanical, chemical, process, electrical..) They seemed to have same reply. Buy the car you want. Drive the car you bought. If you want power- buy sports car. They are against aftermarket modifications.

I am also against after market modifications.

I also hunger for turbo in my engine. But will not install it. Reason: Illegal, Complication, No workshop capable to do it, or willing to do it, and no space in engine compartment. I'll just put in my next car shopping check list.

Spending $$$ thousands for the little gain or gain is not worth.

(edited)

Last time I used to mod... actually to be true, is a waste of $. Car can indeed gain a little power but become noisy... suspension hard loss comfort [:(].

Anyway... how fast can you run in S'pore... at most 120km/h or slightly more nia

For the last few years, I stay stock [laugh]

Save $... car is comfort and I have a peace of mind. Only change tyres when "wear out" or get unrepairable puncture.. [thumbsup]

Edited by Ncss

Got a point.... [thumbsup]

But one thing i will never keep as stock is the rims...

Stock rims are too ugly...

1 bro mentioned invest on super light weight rim

this one i got to agree

the power lost thru a kg each rim...u might be suprise the percentage on it...

no wonder when kids i play tamiya cars...alot first to do it by sponge tyre and cut it thin...hahahaha!