I guess this means COE going to increase again?

Fcw75

COE supply cut again

By Christopher Tan

AS WIDELY anticipated, Certificates of Entitlement (COE) supply will shrink further in the coming months, but any rise in premiums is expected to be moderate.

The Land Transport Authority has announced that there will be 3,844 COEs per month from August 2010 to January 2011.

As recently as 2008, the quota for just one category (cars up to 1,600cc) was bigger - at around 4,070 pieces.

The latest reduction follows a downward trend started last year, when the annual cap on vehicle growth rate was halved to 1.5 per cent. More significantly, the number of vehicles taken off the road - the main determinant of COE supply - had slowed down drastically.

Buyers and sellers of cars up to 1,600cc - who form the vast majority in the vehicle market - will bear the brunt of the latest cut. The number of certificates available to them will contract by 14.3 per cent to 1,195 pieces per month, or 70 per cent fewer than in 2008.

Taxi operators share the same COE pool. The supply of COEs in the other categories will contract from next month too. The exception was commercial vehicle COE, the supply of which will go up by 13.9 per cent.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Worst come to worst, don't drive or downgrade to OPC or something. Car ownership is just too ridiculous in SG, & seems to go North. There are better way to spend the money unless really no choice.

But I think it will be kinda hard for those that own car to take our "world class" transportation again.

Edited by Kiadaw

Neutral Newbie

I can only remember Ody selling at that price in the 90. [hur]

I remember back those days, if you're seen driving a car, you are someone already. [angel]

Neutral Newbie

One of the major city in Europe (not disclosing the actual location but they were in WC...lol), they have something similar like our OPC infrastructure but they called it Emission Restriction. If your car has Euro 0 to Euro 4 emission rating, your car is not allowed into the city between 7am to 6pm Weekdays and up to 3pm on Weekends. If car found in the city during that time, say bye bye to 200 Euros. Interesting concept they have. I'm sure if SG were to implement this, i think at least 50% of cars will disappear. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

if controlling total nos of vehicles on island is 1 part of LTA objective, then they should also revise the VEP fees on those msian car that coming into Spore. Used to be sgd30 per day had been reduce to sgd20 per day, i've noticed a big spike of those msia car rolling on our road. Look at those bikes .....

My point exactly. We the citizens get punished for the high COE.

While malaysia bikes come into Singapore causing the road to be heavy.

There should not be motorcycle Coe at all!!! Or at least increase the quota and make it $1. This way more people might change to ride bike!

There are a lot of malaysia motorbike on the road during peak hours. They are contributing to the jam also? They should be charge a premium to use our roads to be fair...

(edited)

My point exactly. We the citizens get punished for the high COE.

While malaysia bikes come into Singapore causing the road to be heavy.

There should not be motorcycle Coe at all!!! Or at least increase the quota and make it $1. This way more people might change to ride bike!

cannot la, then we'll look like vietnam (i never say china cos some china cities actually BAN motorcycles)

Edited by Alheych

Take some car drivers to convert to ride bike.

Will not become like Vietnam.

What I want the gov is to just release 100 more motorcycle each month. To make it $1 dollar. The growth is still controlled.

Turbocharged

remember COE has reach almost $100K before and that is some 10 years ago. If economy continue to grow, it is likely to break that record.

On one hand I am hoping the economy continue to do well and climbing but on the other hand, if it ever falls, many people going to die.

Take some car drivers to convert to ride bike.

Will not become like Vietnam.

What I want the gov is to just release 100 more motorcycle each month. To make it $1 dollar. The growth is still controlled.

That would depend on what is the passing and takeup rate of class 2B.

↡ Advertisement