Mercedes Vs. Bmw- Quality and Reliability

Stanley30949

While it is problem with the car, so it is a Mercedes problem. However, we pay a premium to C&C for a peace of mind in case there are major defects, thinking that as AD, they will honor warranty liabilities. However, they are no where near honorable. Below is details on my problem:

Car battery died around 8 months old, C&C said it's battery problem and replaced with new battery. (I had no time to send car in for checks, so used workshop battery for about 6 weeks prior to 2nd new battery being fitted). However, new battery died in 3 weeks. They still insisted that it is battery problem after keep the car for 1 week of inspection, as they can't find power leakage. Shockingly, the 3rd battery almost died in less than 2 weeks and the check engine light was on too this time despite the car's 1 year servicing being done just a week ago. Car is in workshop for 3 weeks now and they still can't find the problem. Then I received a formal letter from C&C disclaiming liabilities regarding the car's problems and grant me the trade in option as goodwill from them. Super unreasonable. With the depreciation they proposed, I have to top up around $50k for a brand new car because COE is higher and the current model is a facelift from what I own. I have no intention of changing car in a year and spend $50k more for it. who in the right mind would do it, especiallywhen COE is more than $10k higher? and they call this goodwill.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

Twincharged
(edited)

While it is problem with the car, so it is a Mercedes problem. However, we pay a premium to C&C for a peace of mind in case there are major defects, thinking that as AD, they will honor warranty liabilities. However, they are no where near honorable. Below is details on my problem:

Car battery died around 8 months old, C&C said it's battery problem and replaced with new battery. (I had no time to send car in for checks, so used workshop battery for about 6 weeks prior to 2nd new battery being fitted). However, new battery died in 3 weeks. They still insisted that it is battery problem after keep the car for 1 week of inspection, as they can't find power leakage. Shockingly, the 3rd battery almost died in less than 2 weeks and the check engine light was on too this time despite the car's 1 year servicing being done just a week ago. Car is in workshop for 3 weeks now and they still can't find the problem. Then I received a formal letter from C&C disclaiming liabilities regarding the car's problems and grant me the trade in option as goodwill from them. Super unreasonable. With the depreciation they proposed, I have to top up around $50k for a brand new car because COE is higher and the current model is a facelift from what I own. I have no intention of changing car in a year and spend $50k more for it. who in the right mind would do it, especiallywhen COE is more than $10k higher? and they call this goodwill.

mind telling which model ..?

what was narrated seems more of a service issue than a product issue

Edited by Sdf4786k

On 5/29/2019 at 10:18 AM, MrCarMan said:

I'm looking at purchasing a used Mercedes, BMW or Audi and am wondering how people have found sourcing spare parts for these cars?

Is this model dependent or are parts interchangeable among models within the same brand?

Any advice welcome!

Hi , me too interested to get a used Merc or BM (those 10yo with new COE). What are the common parts & rough cost to repair , say the car is at 150k km mileage (not the general wear n tear items)? 

26 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Hi , me too interested to get a used Merc or BM (those 10yo with new COE). What are the common parts & rough cost to repair , say the car is at 150k km mileage (not the general wear n tear items)? 

I am not familiar with BM and Audi but I guess they are the same,  look into sgmerc you will find enough mercedes  stockists in sgp  that you can go to. 

Ref to here. http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/5741-where-to-buy-your-mercedes-parts-locally/

Edited by Ct3833

1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Conti Cars at 150,000Km...Endless Money Pits...

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Raychay said:

so jialat...German engineering cannot last 150k?

A better handling and ride comes with a price. 

If cannot withstand repair, better off to drive a non conti with minimium and of  simplest design and set up. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

A better handling and ride comes with a price. 

If cannot withstand repair, better off to drive a non conti with minimium and of  simplest design and set up. 

ya I think I rather spend more time & money on myself & family instead of on repairs & in workshops.

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Raychay said:

ya I think I rather spend more time & money on myself & family instead of on repairs & in workshops.

Well to reach his own. 

My time behind the wheel is also important to me as well. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Raychay said:

so jialat...German engineering cannot last 150k?

German Engineering is Good,but at 150,000Km..alot of Electrical,Electronics will start breaking down...not to mention,those usual Wear & Tear...items...The problem is you won't know how the Ex Owners drive these Car....so better avoid.

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

German Engineering is Good,but at 150,000Km..alot of Electrical,Electronics will start breaking down...not to mention,those usual Wear & Tear...items...The problem is you won't know how the Ex Owners drive these Car....so better avoid.

You mean only  ex owners of conti car would abuse the car? 

21 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

You mean only  ex owners of conti car would abuse the car? 

Apparently conti car more powerful, more powerful mean driver tend to drive faster

more powerful mean engine tend to break down faster. Conti are designed for autobahn so they don’t care about reliability but focus more on handling. 

Also conti engine operate at higher temperature, higher temp at engine bay resulting more parts failing earlier. 

last but not least, conti has more tech, more tech more problems. Thats why s class, 7 series and a8 are less reliable than c class or 3 series

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Conti Cars at 150,000Km...Endless Money Pits...

This sounds quite bad since this means just 15k km yearly n I believe is average mileage. 

May be I clarify my motivation. Most new Japanese car costs >sgd10k depre but the safety features n drive may lose to a 10yo conti. Most 10yo E n 5 series in sgcarmart have depre below sgd9k so I figure if yearly maintenance n repair costs sgd1k still kinda breakeven. Thus useful to know the big ticket items e.g. gearbox if it is probe to repair at this mileage. 

1 minute ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

This sounds quite bad since this means just 15k km yearly n I believe is average mileage. 

May be I clarify my motivation. Most new Japanese car costs >sgd10k depre but the safety features n drive may lose to a 10yo conti. Most 10yo E n 5 series in sgcarmart have depre below sgd9k so I figure if yearly maintenance n repair costs sgd1k still kinda breakeven. Thus useful to know the big ticket items e.g. gearbox if it is probe to repair at this mileage. 

1 Year Maintenance & Repair Costs $1,000.?Where got so cheap.?Inc some Items,make it like $3,000 more like this,if S-Class or 7 Series,prepare $5,000 at least per Year if the Used car mileage exceeded 150,000Km.

• Haha! 1

One thing confirmed that needs repair by 7 or 8 year old is the roof lining for German cars, even if parked under shelter all the time.  Don't understand why the Germans cannot make this part to be of normal quality like Japanese or Swedish cars. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

In term of safety features, new Japanese car with safety suite definitely better than 10 year old E or 5.

In term of crash protection, new Japanese car definitely better than 10 year old E or 5.

The biggest difference is E or 5 from those era has stiffer chassis than current New Japanese car.

These car will not be cheap in term of maintenance especially it had been abused by previous owners.

Lastly are you willing to spent time to learn about your car?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3