When is the best time to drive up to Malaysia?

Don't all of you hate long immigration ques at Tuas Second Link?

Clogged up traffic along the North-South highway...

When is the best time to unleash your car's horses??

Which day and time?

And when to avoid going up?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Which day and time?

Thanks!

Start off at 5am - can go with whatever speed you fancy till 8am, except you have to be ultra vigilant and keep your eyes peeled to the far-edge of your highbeam.

• Praise 1

Start off at 5am - can go with whatever speed you fancy till 8am, except you have to be ultra vigilant and keep your eyes peeled to the far-edge of your highbeam.

a litttle too early for the whole family :D,

how about maybe 6:30?

how long would leaving at that time get us to KL

Me and family generally started our drive up north around 3.30am. Cooling and stress free drive. We will take one break/stop during the journey and probably reach KL before 7am.

2nd link clogged? Normally its quite smooth, i go out by 630, I reach genting by 10+ at speed limit

Yes, i usually start my journey from ard 5am and should reach kl at about 7+ to 8+.

cooling + no TP. hehe [thumbsup]

too early for your family? just pack everything the night before into the car, then at about 4am++ just wake them up for the short walk from the house to the car and then they can continue their sleep in the car. hehe... [sleeping]

I tried many different timings to the tuas customs before on sat morning....

If you reach there at 6am, you probably won't be jam..... but at malaysia customs side, there will only be a few booths opened. So, might have to queue for a few vehicles before clearing it...

At 6.30am, queue starts to build up. You might need to take around 15min to clear the spore customs.... malaysia customs side, still ok...

Near to 7am, you will probably be jammed with COE cars because they need to leave the spore land by 7am....

malaysia customs still ok....

By 8am, you will probably need to set aside 45min to clear the spore customs.

After 9am, buses will comes in with their loads of passengers, so you will probably need to set aside more time.

Btw, if you intend to go during long weekends or school holidays.... do go early.... I was stucked in jams even if I reach there at 6.10am....

Now, I will usually try to reach the spore customs before 6am. Usually there will be no jam (except for CNY, Hari Raya), and if i don't feel comfortable driving in the dark, I will probably stop at the rest area 2-3 km after the malaysian customs to wait for sunrise.

Lastly, never speed on the toll road linking tuas and NS highway (i.e. 1st to 2nd toll).... The police there will usually set up road blocks immediate after the 2nd toll.... if you want to speed, speed before 8am....

Which day and time?

Thanks!

NOW

I think the Malaysian side of 2nd link from Singapore is not capable of handling high volume of traffic.

I drove up last year's Good Friday. On onemotoring I was monitoring from 7am to 9am, Tuas was jammed. Needless to say about Woodlands.

After 9am, Tuas was cleared so I headed there. Looks could be deceiving.

Once I clear the SG side of the bridge, it was jammed all the way to the MYsian CIQ.

Man that's about 2km away and I was stuck for 2.5hrs crawling there.

Even the road shoulder was jammed. This is the worse part as when you're up front, you need to squeze your way back into proper lane.

On another occasion, on a Saturday 4.30pm, I was also stuck for 1hr at the MYsian side.

I have given up altogether driving via 2nk link. With the 30% reduction on toll charges both side, I'm not sure if this would divert some of the traffic there but I think some of them would and this is gonna be even worse.

Yap, forgot to mentioned that it's better to come back before 6pm on sunday.

I remembered once when 7 lane merged into 2 lanes at the malaysian customs.

You can imagine how messy and stressful it was.

Yup, the camera views on onemotoring are very deceiving.....

Most of the time I will use second link and even if there is, the queue will only be a short while. Causeway are jam packed by people whose intention is to pump petrol.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

btw 4am-5am, no que no jam!

:D agree! this timing no queue, and not too early also!

Edited by Zyx

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Leave Singapore at 2200-0100, and stay one night in a hotel. There are quite a number of pretty good hotels at Danga Bay and Sutera Utama at 100 MYR or less per day. I doubt there is going to be congestion, whether at the causeway or the second link at that time. Wake up at 0900 in the morning, and continue with the journey. This is if you do not want to drive long distance at night.

The north-bound lanes from Johor to Kuala Lumpur should not be congested at the beginning of Malaysian public holidays (may be except lunar new year, when there are many people from Singapore going home). This is because most of the people are going home from Kuala Lumpur during that period.

Edited by Hwt

a litttle too early for the whole family :D,

how about maybe 6:30?

how long would leaving at that time get us to KL

if u fast enough, 2hours..but then again, cant check in hotel

Neutral Newbie

Instead of asking in forum, you can monitor everyday start from 4am to 6am from onemotoring.. hahaha

↡ Advertisement