No more kopi $ in JB?

Chiongster

Neutral Newbie

Can anyone verify the truth of the claim in this stomp article? :wacko:

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sg...e_they_get.html

If you are planning on travelling to Malaysia, make sure to abide by traffic rules. A STOMPer received an email warning against giving Malaysian police bribes as they can get even more money if they report you for bribery.

The STOMPer had received the warning in a chain email that was forwarded to him.

The email warns against offering Malaysian police 'coffee money' if one is ever stopped or caught for a traffic offence.

According to the email, Malaysian authorities have initiated an anti-corruption system that offers police officers an incentive of RM100 (SG$43.67) for every case of bribery they report to the department.

This new initiative may deter many officers from accepting bribes and encourage them trick you into offering them a bribe.

Motorists who try to get away with their law will end up in even more trouble than they would've been if they just paid their fines.

The email read:

"Don't offer bribes to the police because if they get more than what you offer, you will get into more trouble.

"WARNING : DON'T OFFER DUIT KOPI FROM NOW ON!

"Dear friends, if you have ever paid or are thinking of paying 'coffee money' when stopped for traffic or other offences, DON'T EVER do this again.

"The traffic department (JPJ) recently started a campaign to get rid of corruption. Every Officer on duty will be rewarded with RM100.00 for each case of bribery reported to the department.

"This is how they trick you into it. They will note down the details of your IC/MyKad, and ask you how you want to settle it ('Macam mana nak selesai?').

"If you indicate yes or even offer to give them any money, they will report the incident by rejecting your 'coffee money' and claim the RM100.

"This means that you will end up having a summon issued to you and perhaps be charged for bribery.

"SO DON'T PAY DUIT KOPI AGAIN, especially if you hope to go free with a smaller amount of money.

"Even if you want to pay over RM200, the JPJ Officers would rather have a 'good' name than take your kopi money.

"Just beware of their tricks because the cops are now accumulating 'cookie' points for their promotions and pay increment.

"They should have done this to stop corruption a long time ago. But anyway, it's better late than never, right?"

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Might not actually be a good thing if used on the wrong hands......now the policeman may jus anyhow stop u on the road and say u committed a traffic offence just to trick you into giving bribing....you dun want to give they jus issue you tickets...regardless of whether u actually committed a crime or not...little you can do to justify your actions anyway.

Thats jus wat i think la.

They (the policeman) report 1 case and receive RM100 as reward from their department.......

but what about the other 99 cases......................... [lipsrsealed]

so lets see who is the 'suay' one kana reported ............ [dizzy][dizzy]

Might not actually be a good thing if used on the wrong hands......now the policeman may jus anyhow stop u on the road and say u committed a traffic offence just to trick you into giving bribing....you dun want to give they jus issue you tickets...regardless of whether u actually committed a crime or not...little you can do to justify your actions anyway.

Thats jus wat i think la.

even w/o such an incentive, the CB polis there also anyhow stop ppl liao mah...

Neutral Newbie

might be true. my cousin jus came back n he told me that he was almost caught for offering kopi for speeding.

they did not took it n issued summon.

Neutral Newbie

even w/o such an incentive, the CB polis there also anyhow stop ppl liao mah...

true...then lidat...jus more trouble for the drivers nia...wont affect them except for more money.

What you should do is do not offer the $$$ until the officer gives you hints.

Like you ask him: "bang, how to settle the fine? Very troublesome"

Then wait for the response....

Neutral Newbie

Do anyhting but dun get caught [:p] Actually, what I heard from my Malaysian relatives is that it is not advisable to offer 'coffee' to them. They might happily take up the coffee but still send your records for summons... Win-win situation for them

Even the anti-corruption officers will pretend to ask you for $$$. No matter what just ask for the ticket. No point spending several days in MY jail. Just pay for your mistake and let them thank you for your contribution for building their nation.

Unlikely they will report. If everyone too scare to offer bribe, then where is the bribery to report in future? By then no reward and no kopi$.

Have to sacrifice short term gain for long term benefit.

dont expect malaysia polis to change overnight. Yesterday I just throw rm50 to this tp along NS highway who asked me how to settle and i say quick i no time. He immediately said 50. I close the case and in less than 30 seconds after i stop, i zoom off again.

Few mths back i did the same at NSH

TP Polis: Sir, You r speeding at XXX, pls let me see ur driving lic.

Me: (Already prepared the 50RM.) Show him the 50RM, Baang, settle here.

TP Polis: (Quickly took the 50RM) Ok, drive safely.

Settle less then 3 mins.

[sweatdrop]

Do anyhting but dun get caught [:p] Actually, what I heard from my Malaysian relatives is that it is not advisable to offer 'coffee' to them. They might happily take up the coffee but still send your records for summons... Win-win situation for them

This may be true..my msia friends and associates also told me the same thing..just pay the fine and move on..do not offer bribes.

↡ Advertisement