Subaru Legacy 2.0GT Engine Sounds and Runs out of breathe

Rationalexuberance

Hi all Subaru owners, especially those with TB charged ones.

I am driving a Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.0GT, bought 2nd hand for 8mths now.

Everything was in very good condition till recently:

1)when turbo boost kicks in, the engine sputters, sounds like misfiring

2)erratic idling with engine vibrating violently especially with aircon turned off

Went to check, had four ignition coils changed which solved the misfire, denso iridium spark plug checked and still looking beautiful;

had the throttle body and air filter cleaned and found a loose air pipe disconnected, rectified the problem with a simple add-on clip to secure piping;

but after one day of perfect driving with no hiccups, during 2nd day startup in the morning, low idling problem comes back with CEL on and Cruise light blinking.

My car runs when and everything but idling got issues. After driving for a while CEL light will be gone. Previously system showed TOO LEAN.

If I put to DRIVE and don't step accelerator, the car runs like out of breathe; on straight road moves forward a bit then slows, then move forward then slows,can hear from the erratic combustion in the engine.

Can any subaru TB owners give some advise on potential flaws? Will send back to trusted mechanic to check again, hopefully this time is just one of the smaller pipes hidden behind throttle body came loose.

Cheers bros, look forward to as many replies as possible.

↡ Advertisement

Some of the car parks listed r quite ok... eg Iluma.

Nonetheless good info.

2)erratic idling with engine vibrating violently especially with aircon turned off

Went to check, had four ignition coils changed which solved the misfire, denso iridium spark plug checked and still looking beautiful;

had the throttle body and air filter cleaned and found a loose air pipe disconnected, rectified the problem with a simple add-on clip to secure piping;

but after one day of perfect driving with no hiccups, during 2nd day startup in the morning, low idling problem comes back with CEL on and Cruise light blinking.

My car runs when and everything but idling got issues. After driving for a while CEL light will be gone. Previously system showed TOO LEAN.

If I put to DRIVE and don't step accelerator, the car runs like out of breathe; on straight road moves forward a bit then slows, then move forward then slows,can hear from the erratic combustion in the engine.

Can any subaru TB owners give some advise on potential flaws? Will send back to trusted mechanic to check again, hopefully this time is just one of the smaller pipes hidden behind throttle body came loose.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

what code did the ECU gives when the CEL lit up ? did you change a new spark plug wires also ? lots of heat in the engine bay tends to destroy rubber/plastic components over time . if not have a look at your EGR valve or o2 sensor . check also if your fuel filter is clogged up for lean reading .

Edited by Loosecannon

Sounds like O2 sensor up-lorry-liao....anyway with the CEL lit and subsequently gone, the error code will still be stored. Any workshop with a OBD reader can retrieve.

check ignition coils.

Sounds like O2 sensor up-lorry-liao....anyway with the CEL lit and subsequently gone, the error code will still be stored. Any workshop with a OBD reader can retrieve.

is subaru really that great to drive? I'm just wondering.. ^_^

It's really a personal thing to drive a subaru, but i wun buy an NA subaru though. We subaru drivers like the handling capabilities of the car and the power of a TB charged boxer engine,though maintenance on this car,

or actually any real sports car alike, is rather high.

Insurance is high also, but when ure an ok income earner and have a real passion for cars, these things dun matter that much. but of course, take care of own family 1st b4 cars.

Anyway guys, i got the problem sorted out already, because of old age (5yrs) on the car, the stock rubber tubings linking within the throttle body area hardened.

During turbo boost, the initial vacuum within these tubings become compressed, and because they hardened, it got easily detached even with metal clips.

Hence my mechanic changed the lot with performance silicon tubings which grip tightly during boost.

Also, he found out that a funny sound originated from my timing belt casing, to be cautious i asked him to dismantle and check.

To my surprise, my 7mth old timing belt had been grazed by a metallic timing belt guide that was not screwed on properly, and this was done by my old mechanic.

No choice, had to do a timing belt change on the spot which cost me quite a bit, but i took pictures of the rubber bits that was grazed and was stained all over the bearings, as well as pictures of the timing belt.

Will bring this matter back to my old mechanic boss, i guess his guys din do a good job to check after installing. At least pay me back for timing belt cost and previous labor.

Sharks man, if the belt had broke, that's it, 2.5-3k worth to do engine overhaul man.

Neutral Newbie

It's really a personal thing to drive a subaru, but i wun buy an NA subaru though. We subaru drivers like the handling capabilities of the car and the power of a TB charged boxer engine,though maintenance on this car,

or actually any real sports car alike, is rather high.

Insurance is high also, but when ure an ok income earner and have a real passion for cars, these things dun matter that much. but of course, take care of own family 1st b4 cars.

Anyway guys, i got the problem sorted out already, because of old age (5yrs) on the car, the stock rubber tubings linking within the throttle body area hardened.

During turbo boost, the initial vacuum within these tubings become compressed, and because they hardened, it got easily detached even with metal clips.

Hence my mechanic changed the lot with performance silicon tubings which grip tightly during boost.

Also, he found out that a funny sound originated from my timing belt casing, to be cautious i asked him to dismantle and check.

To my surprise, my 7mth old timing belt had been grazed by a metallic timing belt guide that was not screwed on properly, and this was done by my old mechanic.

No choice, had to do a timing belt change on the spot which cost me quite a bit, but i took pictures of the rubber bits that was grazed and was stained all over the bearings, as well as pictures of the timing belt.

Will bring this matter back to my old mechanic boss, i guess his guys din do a good job to check after installing. At least pay me back for timing belt cost and previous labor.

Sharks man, if the belt had broke, that's it, 2.5-3k worth to do engine overhaul man.

pple ask 1 simple question u tell ur life story.... [knife]

really ar NA no good ah? i dun believe leh... can u prove to me that TCor SC better than NA? oh prove it on bends cos i wanna see u high boost in the corner...

pple ask 1 simple question u tell ur life story.... [knife]

really ar NA no good ah? i dun believe leh... can u prove to me that TCor SC better than NA? oh prove it on bends cos i wanna see u high boost in the corner...

Hi,

was also thinking to myself when i was typing my previous long reply.

But my simple reason for doing so is to contribute so people who may have similar problems can rectify theirs with less trouble.

I didn't say subaru NA not good, but if i choose subaru,i wun buy an NA.

TC, SC or NA has it's own pros and cons, and sorry,anyone who loves his life won't high boost during corners, that is pure stupidity.

FYI, my next car that i like is a type R or any honda with that engine, however i did slice through a corner with some boost at 4000rpm while a type R (front wheel drive) was "racing" with me, and i sliced that fello like toufu. :excl:

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

a member highlighted your issue on the Legacy forum...

I'm here to point you to that forum... a lot of friendly chaps..

or you can contact Edge, Ken, very experience with Legacy.

Here are the links...

http://subarulegacy.sg/phpBB3/index.php

http://subarulegacy.sg/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16222

Edge Tuning

http://www.edge-tuning.com/

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

was also thinking to myself when i was typing my previous long reply.

But my simple reason for doing so is to contribute so people who may have similar problems can rectify theirs with less trouble.

I didn't say subaru NA not good, but if i choose subaru,i wun buy an NA.

TC, SC or NA has it's own pros and cons, and sorry,anyone who loves his life won't high boost during corners, that is pure stupidity.

FYI, my next car that i like is a type R or any honda with that engine, however i did slice through a corner with some boost at 4000rpm while a type R (front wheel drive) was "racing" with me, and i sliced that fello like toufu. :excl:

OOooOOoOOOoooOoo slice tat fellow like toufu ahhhh... WOW! boosting at wat 0.1bar at 4000rpm is it??

show me leh..... sine u soooooOO GOOD....

DUN all talk no action leh....

OOooOOoOOOoooOoo slice tat fellow like toufu ahhhh... WOW! boosting at wat 0.1bar at 4000rpm is it??

show me leh..... sine u soooooOO GOOD....

DUN all talk no action leh....

hmm, are you a young punk trying to be funie?

wateva you say lah.

↡ Advertisement