Lexus launches RX270

Alheych

those local mags really cannot make it at all. i do not believe what i read in their reviews

Meaning? You do not agree with their generally glowing review about RX270? Which aspect you do not agree?

↡ Advertisement

:o If this is true, does BM know about this? Should I then be very concern when I read an advert that says RX350 for sale because it could be just a RX270, thus wasting my time to arrange for a viewing.

I believe the purpose of rebadging an RX270 as an RX350 is about not wanting to look inferior or 'cheapo' for choosing the 'lesser' version. I think I would do it too. I don't think it's an outright way of cheating the next owner. After all, it's easy to check the information and it will be all too obvious when you drive it.

I believe the purpose of rebadging an RX270 as an RX350 is about not wanting to look inferior or 'cheapo' for choosing the 'lesser' version. I think I would do it too. I don't think it's an outright way of cheating the next owner. After all, it's easy to check the information and it will be all too obvious when you drive it.

If I will to do it, I will just remove 270, then I am proudly driving a RX :D

Meaning? You do not agree with their generally glowing review about RX270? Which aspect you do not agree?

I believe the magazine writers will not write anything outrightly negative about the car.

But truthfully, after test driving it, I quite agree with the positive reviews.

Nobody is raving about it, but it sure is worth a look.

Here's my take on it:

1) Nearly the same functions as RX350

2) Smaller engine = lower road tax

3) Smaller engine = less powerful, but still adequately powered for many drivers

4) Smaller engine = better FC

5) 80+ hp and Nm less will only be felt by 'chiongster' drivers

These are mostly positive. What I don't like is how sensitive the accelerator is from standstill. Like jumping the gun for the initial take-off. Maybe it is Lexus's way of mitigating the slack feeling of having a less powerful engine.

Anyhow, I'd still choose the RX450h.

(edited)

Anyone bought one or intending to buy one soon? The dealer markup as of this weekend "walk-in" customer price is only about 22K. The lowest margin, percentage wise, among all the luxury brands. A buyer of an equivalent German luxury will have to part with a mark up two to four times more. Despite the increasing COE since it was launched late last year, the sticker price today is still close to its "special launch" price. Still no one bitting? I wonder why?

Edited by Topspin

Anyone bought one or intending to buy one soon? The dealer markup as of this weekend "walk-in" customer price is only about 22K. The lowest margin, percentage wise, among all the luxury brands. A buyer of an equivalent German luxury will have to part with a mark up two to four times more. Despite the increasing COE since it was launched late last year, the sticker price today is still close to its "special launch" price. Still no one bitting? I wonder why?

If you're in the right price bracket to buy a Lexus, I don't think you'd settle for the RX270. Probably just go for the 350 or 450h.

A desperate request to any RX270 owner reading this...what is your fuel consumption you are getting now?

Please don't quote what's on the official specs. The official specs mentioned 10.5 km/l, too good? probably achievable with 100% highway driving only.

Neutral Newbie

A desperate request to any RX270 owner reading this...what is your fuel consumption you are getting now?

Please don't quote what's on the official specs. The official specs mentioned 10.5 km/l, too good? probably achievable with 100% highway driving only.

Realistic FC should be 7-9km/L depending on city/highway driving proportion & right foot.

Neutral Newbie

Actually why many say until it so CMI leh ? Indeed RX350 has more power & some gadgets (like motorised closing of root etc), but it comes with the price too (more pricey, rd tax, FC) ... will people really re-bagde a RX270 to a RX350 ? RX270 very "sia suay" meh ? I will be in 7 heaven if I can own one ! [laugh]

I tested it abt 2-3 wks back ... found that the acceleration is linear (NA mah), but on cruising pretty great. the interior indeed feels very japanese, in fact very Toyota. My wife acknowlegded that as the layout of gear, foot brake is so similar to our Toyota Voxy. But we love the space ... and being a Lexus quality shouldn't be that bad [rolleyes]

We tested the X1 too (baby X, like the baby RX) ... X1 interior is quite bare, rear seat rather cramp, the drive is rather bad. Except the handling & suspension is superb ... but translate to heavy steering which wife outright reject.

At $184K for RX 270 when I checked 2-3wks ago, and OMV of $46k ... it's profit margin is not as cut throat .. comparing XC60 T5 ($212K OMV $46K) & BMW X1 ($180K OMV $29K) ...

We will also be checking the B-class (not apple-to-apple though), Tiguan & the Q5 but I reckon their price-OMV ratio will also be horrible.

I think you should also test drive its RX350. V6 does make a lot of difference.

I still kept my RX300. Its been 5 years now and the only part that i've repaired is its radiator. But do bear in mind i get around 6km/l. The AWD and V6 does drink alot!

Thanks Hungee and Unitek for the feedback.

Eyeing only RX270 precisely because of the low dealer markup and the insurmountable chasm between RX270 and 350/450h in price.

I am still hoping a RX270 owner will waltz by soon and tell me first hand about his/her FC.

I gather that there isn't many RX270 owners in Singapore. [confused]

Edited by Topspin

Neutral Newbie

Eyeing only RX270 precisely because of the low dealer markup and the insurmountable chasm between RX270 and 350/450h in price.

I am still hoping a RX270 owner will waltz by soon and tell me first hand about his/her FC.

Not many yet in SG cos it was only launch not too long ago. Also the sky high COE at recent times reduce its ownership.

Seriously, with the official figures at 10.5 km/L, that says a lot already.

Don't bother about FC for a SUV. That's a non-issue.

If I didn't need 7 seats, I might have seriously considered the RX270 after test-driving.

I was fine with the price back in February, since it was only a bit more than my Galaxy Ecoboost, relatively.

Anyway, I'm another FC-crazy person on the forum, so let me give you some perspectives on the cars I've driven with the official and real-world FC comparison:

Toyota Wish (1st Gen FL with S/S filter and 17") - Official 14.4 km/L, My Best 14.4 km/L, My Worst 11-12 km/L, Average 12.8 km/L

Toyota Estima Hybrid (on 18") - Official 20 km/L, My Best 14.6 km/L, My Worst 11.9 km/L, Average 13.2 km/L

Galaxy Ecoboost (on 18") - Official 12.3 km/L, My Best 10.2 km/L, Average 9.2 km/L (first 5 tanks).

These figures are the result of economical to moderate driving, so it's probably much better than the average you'd expect.

So if I were to predict the FC figures for RX270 for my driving style, I'd say 7.5-9 km/L.

Technically, if you can find the City/Urban FC figures, that would be the closest predictor, not Combined or Extra-Urban.

I think it is still better than RX350 for FC, and you don't really have the chance to use all 270+ horses in the 350 anyway.

Toyota Wish (1st Gen FL with S/S filter and 17") - Official 14.4 km/L, My Best 14.4 km/L, My Worst 11-12 km/L, Average 12.8 km/L

Toyota Estima Hybrid (on 18") - Official 20 km/L, My Best 14.6 km/L, My Worst 11.9 km/L, Average 13.2 km/L

Galaxy Ecoboost (on 18") - Official 12.3 km/L, My Best 10.2 km/L, Average 9.2 km/L (first 5 tanks).

Thanks for the FC numbers

Thanks for the FC numbers

No problem. I have an idea. If you're really serious about buying, you should ask for an extended test drive that includes driving around the Leng Kee area and also cruising along AYE. Simulate your driving style during the test drive. Don't forget to reset the trip meter or FC meter before you begin. Adjust the aircon to a reasonable temperature you would use, rather than the 19 deg that is often set.

Maybe this is one way you can achieve a predicted FC figure.

After many months of evaluating my options, finally decided on the RX270. The car sees stiff competion for the price range it is in (both sedan and SUVs) but the two factors that won be over conclusively is its luxurious interior and the very low dealer markup. :wub:

After many months of evaluating my options, finally decided on the RX270. The car sees stiff competion for the price range it is in (both sedan and SUVs) but the two factors that won be over conclusively is its luxurious interior and the very low dealer markup. :wub:

wrong choice