Ugly year long dispute

SimonTan

Neutral Newbie

Nope, the monetary compensation was insufficient to even pay off the first case. All my friends say I am a goondu to let him off so easily with so little compensation. But to me, peace of mind is what I need most rather than monetary compensation.

I told him straight in the face, I have already spent so much in this dispute and prepare to write it off as my loss. If I were to pursue, it will cost even more, an injunction and compensation to high court appeal is S$8,000. If this case goes to court and trial, it cost another S$15,000. Total is S$23,000 to put Mr Chong behind bars. Sorry but I do not have that kind of money to play with. That is civil justice to the Singapore Law, only the elites and rich can play.

I will not pursue this case further, I'll let nature takes it course.

Sorry to hear that this is a sad fact of life here. Legal tussle is certainly not for any men-in-the-streets...

↡ Advertisement

Just to correct this, any compensation made is usually without admission of guilt.

ie legally this point cannot be used.

Please man, the video is not sufficient evidence? I think that face is burnt into my brain & I will never forget till i die [laugh]

Please man, the video is not sufficient evidence? I think that face is burnt into my brain & I will never forget till i die [laugh]

er...with or without towel [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

at least we all know

a) scratching a car less than an elite or rich 1, more than 3 times will get warnings only!!! [:p]

b) Scratching a commoner's car which AGC dont bother to help.. asking you to engage a lawyer.

at least we all know

a) scratching a car less than an elite or rich 1, more than 3 times will get warnings only!!! [:p]

b) Scratching a commoner's car which AGC dont bother to help.. asking you to engage a lawyer.

Can you be the Hero & do an art work on Mr Cheong's car for us to see? With his permission of course [laugh]

Comparing this to Peter Lim's case. Though no similarity but it comes to show the one with money to pay would get "justice" , $23,000 just to go through the notion ? I always thought vandalism is punishable by law ?

If i'm poor how? Means no justice as i can't afford fight the case? Is there any "assistance" for the poor in such cases? Something that maybe those who know can share so that we can protect ourselves against anything like this.

i have a family member who is a lawyer, and he tells me that in singapore , and maybe almost everywhere else, the poor will lose out in court case. even if a poor person knows he has a valid case and a winnable one, just to pursue justice, one needs substantial money to even start pursuing, not to mention ending up fighting a case in a court. worse still the compensation is often not enough to cover the cost. thats why most cases of disputes are settled out of court way before it reaches the actual fight in a court. but only the rich can afford to pursue through the legal channel. Those free counselling are just that, counselling. And the fee here we are talking about easily tens to even hundred of thousands of dollars. thats why in a legal case the lawyers are the only winners, and the poor will remain helpless, even end up in the losing end. ever wonder why an experienced lawyers easily earn fifty to one hundred grand per month ? thats a fact .

thats why in singapore, try not to get into trouble with the law, it's a nightmare.

Edited by Vextan

Can you be the Hero & do an art work on Mr Cheong's car for us to see? With his permission of course [laugh]

do it together lah... get few more help help.. everyone contribute knocks on his driver/passenger doors.. enough liao worr... i dont mind suffer few knocks... for adrian's sake... [laugh]

i have a family member who is a lawyer, and he tells me that in singapore , and maybe almost everywhere else, the poor will lose out in court case. even if a poor person knows he has a valid case and a winnable one, just to pursue justice, one needs substantial money to even start pursuing, not to mention ending up fighting a case in a court. worse still the compensation is often not enough to cover the cost. thats why most cases of disputes are settled out of court way before it reaches the actual fight in a court. but only the rich can afford to pursue through the legal channel. Those free counselling are just that, counselling. And the fee here we are talking about easily tens to even hundred of thousands of dollars. thats why in a legal case the lawyers are the only winners, and the poor will remain helpless, even end up in the losing end. ever wonder why an experienced lawyers easily earn fifty to one hundred grand per month ? thats a fact .

thats why in singapore, try not to get into trouble with the law, it's a nightmare.

hmm. no leh...

my mother-in-law... kena knocked by a car insured by NTUC while crossing the road...she made a police report and the driver offer 50 bucks as compensation.. i was like.. <_<

she suffer hairline cracks and did x-ray and told not to carry heavy stuffs... Police advise us to take up civil sue.. i was like... huh?? cant police prosecute...or give a heavy fine...

nvm lor.. i consult a lawyer... and start up fee is about 6k... and i need to cough out 2k.. if win, then the money will be refunded + medical + misc compensation fee.... but of crs i didnt dealt in more.. (maybe i need to cough out more if the case drag)

Maybe mine was different from his...

Nope, the monetary compensation was insufficient to even pay off the first case. All my friends say I am a goondu to let him off so easily with so little compensation. But to me, peace of mind is what I need most rather than monetary compensation.

I told him straight in the face, I have already spent so much in this dispute and prepare to write it off as my loss. If I were to pursue, it will cost even more, an injunction and compensation to high court appeal is S$8,000. If this case goes to court and trial, it cost another S$15,000. Total is S$23,000 to put Mr Chong behind bars. Sorry but I do not have that kind of money to play with. That is civil justice to the Singapore Law, only the elites and rich can play.

wa lan, if i kena TOTO, first thing i will do is sponsor $23k to put him behind bars.

or is anyone interested to join forces together?

$200 each, need 115 people.

$100 each, need 230 people.

$50 each, need 460 people

$10 each, need 2300 people

for the sake of the drivers' community in Singapore for Chong to get wat he entirely deserves, I am willing to sponsor $200. is anyone with me? $200 to see chong go behind bars okay rite? those who can sponsor more, please do so!

can pm me your account? i can transfer you first. as i have trust in you, u can transfer me back only when this does not progress.

didn't want to say but since new thread on this was created.

I thought the intention of adrian was to seek justice for making the issue big through various mediums. But got disappointed when he said he had reached an agreement with Chong and would let the matter rest by refusing interviews that he himself had prompted. Hmm... I got this kind of feeling that Adrian is making use of media to lure Chong out and at least get something back from him instead.

I understand all the variables involved, if he wants to bring it all the way, would be too much for one to handle but the moment he sends the emails to the mediums already signals he is ready for it.

I thought it is not a personal issue anymore when it reaches the media, moreover the content of the emails sent was an advice to be careful when exchanging particulars to the rest reading. I am not saying Adrian is wrong but perhaps he could close the case more beautifully. [:)]

He already mentioned that his familys safety will be compromised should Chong gets provoked further...U never know what a person will do when he has nothing to lose and everything to gain..

Yes, I cant disclose the amt here. Not much at all.

What is lacking here is a public apology in the major papers.

Sorry bro, could not help saying although case is officially closed.

Unless you lucky enough to get a lawyer to take on your case pro bono lor. But very few lawyers are willing to forego their fees, and when they do, its usually for capital cases only. But even then, i think there are still the court fees to contend with. [sweatdrop]

If i'm not wrong, in the US, lawyers are allowed to take on cases with the caveat that they will deduct their fees from the court awarded damages if they win, and the client pay nothing to the lawyer if he loses the case. In my opinion, this will be a much fairer system for the poorer folks. However, it does create a situation where everybody is suing somebody over the smallest of issues. So it is also not a perfect solution, but certainly one worth considering (perhaps with some tweaks) just to level the playing field. [nod]

If I were to pursue, it will cost even more, an injunction and compensation to high court appeal is S$8,000. If this case goes to court and trial, it cost another S$15,000. Total is S$23,000 to put Mr Chong behind bars. Sorry but I do not have that kind of money to play with. That is civil justice to the Singapore Law, only the elites and rich can play.

Lesson of the day :

1) DO NOT ever vandalize expensive cars

2) It's perfectly alright and safe to scratch bread and butter cars such as Jap and Korean cars. [lipsrsealed]

Let's just say that it will never be enuf cos the mental torture and time wasted is priceless......similar to what that clown is suffering now....

did a quick check and hell knows who has seen it and called him...and maybe more so now..serves him right...bugger

Send your hao xiong di after him.. [laugh]

ok......hope it covers all your cost of doing up the scratched paintwork and punctured tyres.

i know you cannot reveal the details but I sincerely hope it is enough.

I think it only covers up ts cost of the car camera :(

↡ Advertisement