Hungry Ghost Month ....

Typhoonz

Hi every buttie,

In case you didn't know, the "Gates of Hell" are opening at 11pm today (Aug 13) for this year's Seventh Month Festival, otherwise known as the Hungry Ghost Festival. For those of you who don't know, the Hungry Ghost Festival is period which Chinese Singaporeans believe the ghosts of Chinese ancestors are let out of hell for one month.

Bonus Number 11: If you see the men in white outside your door, do not open the door for them.

Self-explanatory. Other colours are fine though.

http://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/things-avoid-during-7th-month-ghost-festival-spore

How cum is 11pm (still Aug 12) n not 12am (then is Aug 13) [confused]

No 11- women in white can open? [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Many thanks for the alert. This morning got knocking on the door, but no one outside when looked through the viewing hole? I did not open the door, since already cautioned by you.

a < 1.5m tall salesman maybe? [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

on saturday, saw an ang mo (must be new), cut across the grass and step on the offerings (not on purpose, he was just taking a shortcut)

first thing out of my mouth was "oh shit!"

he didnt really bother about what he stepped on and just kept walking ><

LOL,

I think Bonus 11 is politically motivated.

So blue, yellow etc are ok except white?

other colour ghosts will go away if you dont like them.

but for the white walkers... even if you kill them or reject them, they will respawn and come back. There is simply no way to escape.

• Praise 1

on saturday, saw an ang mo (must be new), cut across the grass and step on the offerings (not on purpose, he was just taking a shortcut)

Its ok lah, Ang Mor is also considered a Qwee in Cantonese. Same same so no offence.

• Praise 5

Ang Mo no pantan one.

Anyway, they dun noe wat's gg on.

So, 'they' will forgive him/her [:)]

• Praise 1

many years ago before town council provide the bins for burning, most burn it on the floor, lawn, everywhere. Not possible not step on them. Ang mo dun even know what are these then nothing to offend.

• Praise 1

Dun offer your car hor.

This one is epic. Sometimes it's also due to the stupidity of the people who planned on putting the joss paper bin at the spot.

Similar thing happened near my place a few months back, a funeral was taking place, and the Town Council staff put the cage for burning the paper house, on the grass patch right beside the road. One even on my way home, the fire engine was there parked beside the cage.

Don't they realize the intensity of the heat can cause damage to the passing cars? [furious]

• Praise 1

No wonder you see so many white figures everywhere... Hawker centres, markets, coffee shops etc... go home turn on TV u see them also. Read FB, also cannot escape!! Jialat.... Muz wait one more month before they go bac... Enjoying the offerings given to them.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

yah, ang moh no pantang one

i was at Changi chalets last Friday (1st day of 7th month)

saw many ang mohs strolling near Old Changi Hospital

we locals will know it's best to siam this place during the 7th month [sly][sly]

How cum is 11pm (still Aug 12) n not 12am (then is Aug 13) [confused]

No 11- women in white can open? [:p]

Clock or watch is mechanical timing.

The true timing is solar time, based on the location of the sun.

Back to why 11pm; based on ancient China, 11pm to 1am is call 子时, therefore starting from 11pm, it is considered starting of next day.

But again, based on solar time, it should be 2300+.

• Praise 1

yah, ang moh no pantang one

i was at Changi chalets last Friday (1st day of 7th month)

saw many ang mohs strolling near Old Changi Hospital

we locals will know it's best to siam this place during the 7th month [sly][sly]

only angmo ghost will disturb angmo [grin]

• Praise 2