Rights and obligations of volunteers

Cootie-Monster

Can someone explain the rights and obligations of volunteering?

If I volunteer for X but get assigned to do Y instead, can I un-volunteer?

Who should get the crap job? Volunteer or professional?

Can I expect a certain level of leeway because I am going out of my way to help, or should I take whatever gets thrown at me because I volunteered?

↡ Advertisement

Can I expect a certain level of leeway because I am going out of my way to help, or should I take whatever gets thrown at me because I volunteered?

Seriously, if I'm the task master and volunteers ask me these kinda questions I will be very upset. If I have the luxury, I will sending them packing.

Before anything is being done I'm sure volunteers will be brief by the task master what's the task at hand or primary objective. And dan the basic welfare like break time meal time and some other basic stuff to expect. If this were to be a big event I think an agreement will be handed out for volunteers to read, acknowledge and signed.

So if TS wants to talk about rights, for eg. you work until you are deprived of break time but I'm sure someone will voice out if that happens. If TS wants to talk about obligations, you might as well stay at home. Becos whether it's paid or volunteer work the primary objective is clear. For ppl who dun work towards it and only wants to do what they like dan they are not helping.

Who says volunteer work is going to be heaven? If you can't take on "crap jobs" dan why are you here? I dunno what TS have in mind but with the kinda mentality you bring with to do volunteer job you will not be happy and neither will the ppl who work around you. If you are such a big shot of going out of the way to help, it must be hard on you.

Can always "Opt out" . . . . Really!!

[laugh] just like in appointment letter.............

the basic of your job is a, b, c, .......etc.......and any other job task to you by your boss not listed here from time to time! ( your boss can ask you to do anything, including his job)

we may also rotate your job from time to time to allow you better understand of the company. (you may get to change boss anytime) :D

see!!!

do you know the meaning of volunteer? it means they ASKED for your help without paying you and you have DECIDED to take a part of it for a CERTAIN ROLE...

So if they assigned you a different role, then tell them in the face that you have volunteered yourself to be part of that and not this....GIVE THEM A CHOICE... PUT ME BACK OR NEVER SEEE ME AGAIN!!!..

I just dont understand.... why are singaporeans so weak minded? its a simple decision...

Neutral Newbie

i think you guys have been drilled until you guys have completely forgotten what volunteering is [laugh]

not your fault... when ppl are made to do "compulsory volunteer work" ppl will forget what volunteering actually is

ppl go to spca or animal shelters to do all the sai kang, clean all the s--t and clean up the place.... how come they don't complain?

bcos they are not "compulsory volunteer workers" but your normal volunteer who do it for the residents. give them sai kang to do also they will be happy to do it. why? bcos providing a better life for the residents is their passion. if they don't like it they will not be forced to continue also.

rights and obligations?

if you are worried about this then something is wrong already.... bcos as a volunteer they cannot force you to do anything that you don't want to, but as a volunteer you must also be responsible to let your leaders know in advance your concerns and don't last minute make things difficult for the volunteer leaders also lah....

volunteering ur service does not mean subjected to abuse or anything you feel it is not right.

if i volunteer for YOG event and i am asked to wipe the shoes for the participants...sld i? do i need to degrade myself to that?

volunteering ur service does not mean subjected to abuse or anything you feel it is not right.

if i volunteer for YOG event and i am asked to wipe the shoes for the participants...sld i? do i need to degrade myself to that?

I think it's all up to personal choice and value system. Do you know volunteers at zoo and animal shelters have to shovel up animal poo? Worse than wiping shoes?? Or not?

↡ Advertisement