OPC scheme a disaster ?????

HARDGAYHOOOO

Pardon for my ignorance but as far as I know, the first implementation of OPC scheme is to encourage people especially families to switch driving during off peak as to cut down traffic flow during peak hours at the same time giving a opportunity for people to own a personal transport since the cost of owning a OPC cuts down by ten++ grand as compare to normal cars.

True scenerio, a neighbour of mine whose hubby drives a Hyundai sonota due to work factors needs the car to run around places all the time and being a middle wealthy family , wife too got herself a ride ( Nissan March )to go for majiong sessions, settle household groceries and maybe do shopping with fellow auntie group. BTW side track a bit...I went to Tampines mall during weekdays around 3pm time thinking it will be a breeze to get a lot near esculator lobby side and was supprised that the row of lots was fully booked and while going around the area looking for second best lots, took notice of the car owners out of boredom. Most proprtion of the drivers range from aunties,housewifes and of cos the usual 1to2 lunch people. And my point is???? well use some of ur imagination ba. [laugh]

Anyway , back to main topic. The son just gotten his driving licence and despite the fact that his parent each own a ride , he refused to share as I heard from my mum during one of her gossip session with her friends while I was sending them to market place on my way to work that becos the son feels that the ride his parent own isnt TIONG enuff, so elderly and stuff decided to go for OPC . In the end , he or rather on sponsorship by his dad, gotten a subaru impress..

At tat point of time it had me thinking. For every middle range family who owns 2 normal plated cars , whose son or daugther decided to get another one due to the above reasons, doesnt it defeat the objective of the OPC scheme in the first place?????I bet you must have relative of friends who gets a OPC evo to chiong during weekends but drive normal sedan on weekdays????? trust me, I have plenty of friends doing that. Come on , ten grands off for OPC is too much of a temptation to some , which triggered some to own 2 cars . Well it is ultimately my own views.......hehehehehe [rolleyes]

Should the gov be restricting the OPC categlory to a certain model not inclusive of cars like GTR,EVO,WRX etc etc ....... give those ppl who reali in need of a transport instead of attracting ppl who are tempted to keep a second????? OPC scheme ???? it is definitely not working..what do U think????

↡ Advertisement

UUUU R SOOO WRONG.

AS LONG AS UUUU can AFFORD, DEALERS / GOVERNMENT ARE WELCOMING U TO BUY EXXXPENSIVE SPORTS CAR!! Reason being, they will suck you dry!!

i tink the silly notion behind this thread is more disasterous....

Hmm, wonder who may that be????? Anything constructive to say ???Noooo?? welll... run along then

Money talks.....period

Ha ha ha , can i say the same for ciggrattes too????? Since it is so harmful , why dun just ban it?????Reason is totally the same as that u commented

Hmm, wonder who may that be????? Anything constructive to say ???Noooo?? welll... run along then

ermm....whatever u say, einstein. who am i to dispute such an intellectual notion by you?

Neutral Newbie

Ever wondered if the OPC scheme was part a political objective to ........ rather than a solution to prevent congestions on our roads?

Pardon for my ignorance but as far as I know, the first implementation of OPC scheme is to encourage people especially families to switch driving during off peak as to cut down traffic flow during peak hours at the same time giving a opportunity for people to own a personal transport since the cost of owning a OPC cuts down by ten++ grand as compare to normal cars.

True scenerio, a neighbour of mine whose hubby drives a Hyundai sonota due to work factors needs the car to run around places all the time and being a middle wealthy family , wife too got herself a ride ( Nissan March )to go for majiong sessions, settle household groceries and maybe do shopping with fellow auntie group. BTW side track a bit...I went to Tampines mall during weekdays around 3pm time thinking it will be a breeze to get a lot near esculator lobby side and was supprised that the row of lots was fully booked and while going around the area looking for second best lots, took notice of the car owners out of boredom. Most proprtion of the drivers range from aunties,housewifes and of cos the usual 1to2 lunch people. And my point is???? well use some of ur imagination ba. [laugh]

Anyway , back to main topic. The son just gotten his driving licence and despite the fact that his parent each own a ride , he refused to share as I heard from my mum during one of her gossip session with her friends while I was sending them to market place on my way to work that becos the son feels that the ride his parent own isnt TIONG enuff, so elderly and stuff decided to go for OPC . In the end , he or rather on sponsorship by his dad, gotten a subaru impress..

At tat point of time it had me thinking. For every middle range family who owns 2 normal plated cars , whose son or daugther decided to get another one due to the above reasons, doesnt it defeat the objective of the OPC scheme in the first place?????I bet you must have relative of friends who gets a OPC evo to chiong during weekends but drive normal sedan on weekdays????? trust me, I have plenty of friends doing that. Come on , ten grands off for OPC is too much of a temptation to some , which triggered some to own 2 cars . Well it is ultimately my own views.......hehehehehe [rolleyes]

Should the gov be restricting the OPC categlory to a certain model not inclusive of cars like GTR,EVO,WRX etc etc ....... give those ppl who reali in need of a transport instead of attracting ppl who are tempted to keep a second????? OPC scheme ???? it is definitely not working..what do U think????

i think you are only right about OPC's objective to encourage people to drive offpeak. It is about managing congestion. But it is not to make car cheaper or to give car ownership to "those who need it more". There is only a fixed number of coe issued; so you don't get 1 extra car on the road just becos a rich son decided to get an OPC impressa. But because he bought an opc, he is more likely to drive it only during off-peak. so the OPC's objective is actually met. Imagine what happen if there is no OPC? This son could have bought a normal impressa and drive it during peak hours. Or if he can't afford a car now; the coe would have gone to another person who buys the normal car, and drive it during peak hour.

conclusion: it is not a disaster. but if it tries to do what you just said; i think it will be one.

That is why COE should be set minimum $100,000. Even if a normal Lancer is worth $150,000 and a E class @ $300,000, you will be surprised how rich some Singaporeans really are. But of course if the COE is $100k, it will squeeze the lower to middle class from having a car, which is definitely a good move since more MRT stations are on the way. A civil servant for example, has NO NEED for a car if his job is to stay in the office

Simply said, the government does not care. As long as $$$ roll into their pocket. Too many cars? No problemo, erect more ERP gantries and increase the charge.

Since you mentioned that the family is wealthy, do you think a discount of $17K will deter them from buying a 2nd and 3rd car? I don't think so.......... [shakehead]

That is why COE should be set minimum $100,000. Even if a normal Lancer is worth $150,000 and a E class @ $300,000, you will be surprised how rich some Singaporeans really are. But of course if the COE is $100k, it will squeeze the lower to middle class from having a car, which is definitely a good move since more MRT stations are on the way. A civil servant for example, has NO NEED for a car if his job is to stay in the office

and den taxi fare increase u all complain..

Most proprtion of the drivers range from aunties,housewifes and of cos the usual 1to2 lunch people. And my point is???? well use some of ur imagination ba. [laugh]

paiseh.... what your point? i dun really get it

Neutral Newbie

From the looks of the subsequent threads, I think you just opened Pandora's Box with your post...are you for or against the OPC scheme, or simply want the views of forum members? Or is it that you have an intention of forming an OPC Party to contest the next GE and is looking for members? [confused]

I have no idea why this scheme was implemented.

OPC very complicated.

Got politics, social, economic reasons.

↡ Advertisement