Mind Your Language

Vulcann

Anyone still remember this hilarious British comedy series years back?

Really missed Mr. Brown and his bunch of whacky mini-UN English students...

Watched a re-run last night and it was really nostalgic.

Fell over when Brown asked the Italian (or Spanish) guy to make a sentence using the word "indisposition" and the latter blah blah blah and said something like"..playing soccer and i was in THIS POSITION...".

Really funny show!

↡ Advertisement

Fell over when Brown asked the Italian (or Spanish) guy to make a sentence using the word "indisposition" and the latter blah blah blah and said something like"..playing soccer and i was in THIS POSITION...".

Really funny show!

I also watch abit of this show last nite. damn funny.

"what is wrong with this sentence" Ask Mr Brown. "there are nothig wrong with this sentence" ans his student [laugh][laugh]

It was my little nephew (7 yo) who reminded me about the show. Seems he also like watching this show as well though its well past his bedtime. This show always make me laugh more compared to other more recent sitcoms with its simple but humourous use of english

BTW, its showing every Mon at 11pm

And who can forget Miss Cockney, the stiff upper-lipped principal or head-mistress?

Slowly remembering the names of the characters now...

Really funny show!

I like the French & Spanish [gorgeous] ............... [inlove]

whereas the Chinese girl always starts with a statement : According to Chairman Mao .....................

the Japanses starts with..... Asso ......

the Bangali ...... Thousand Apologies .......

[smash][smash]

Edited by Picnic06

Ali from whr? Ranjeet from India.

Ali from Pakistan . . . but in real life he already died a long time ago in 1984.

My fav is Danielle :wub: Woot!

Giovanni Capello, portrayed by George Camiller, is an Italian cook, the class's loudest student and de-facto class monitor. He is best friends with Max, who becomes his flatmate. Giovanni's main English problem is understanding metaphors and large words, though he often answers wrongly on purpose to amuse the class. When shocked or surprised, he often remarks "Santa Maria" or "Holy Ravioli", and also often says "okey-kokey" instead of "OK".

Anna Schmidt, portrayed by Jacki Harding, is a stereotypical 1970s German and an au pair. In her introduction, she refers to "German efficiency", and accordingly Anna is a hardworking student, occasionally asking legitimate questions and as the series progresses, answering Mr. Brown's questions correctly. Her main problem is mixing "V"s and "W"s. She also punctuates her sentences with German words. She is also shown with exceptional physical strength and she is never reluctant to show it, often punching fellow students if they try to flirt with her.

Chung Su-Lee, portrayed by Pik-Sen Lim (Season 1 - 3), is a secretary at the Chinese Embassy. She is never seen without her little red book of Mao, which she often quotes from. She constantly mixes up her "R"s and "L"s. Early in the series, she had a fierce ideological rivalry with Taro, her Japanese classmate, but later on the series, he often springs to defend her when a character insults her or China.

Tarō Nagazumi, portrayed by Robert Lee (Season 1 - 3) is a Japanese electronics representative. He has a reasonable command of English, but has a habit of adding "-o" to every word he says. Early in the series he is at odds with Su-Lee due to Japan and China's own political differences in the 1970s, but becomes a close friend of hers later on. He is never seen without his camera.

Jamila Ranjha, portrayed by Jamila Massey (Season 1 - 3), is an Indian housewife from Simla. When she first joins the class she can barely speak English, and needs Ali to translate her Hindi-Urdu, but by series 3, she has become one of the better English speakers. She often calls Mr. Brown "Masterjee",and her catchphrase early in the series is "gud havening". During class, she is mostly found knitting. She is probably a Christian, since she wears a cross, but in one of the episodes when everybody is arguing about the true faith, she shouts "Buddha".

Maximillian Andrea Archimedes Papandrious, portrayed by Kevork Malikyan (Season 1 - 3), is a Greek shipping office worker from Athens, and is often paired with Giovanni. He is attracted to Danielle but as the show progresses the three became a gang of sorts. Max tends to misunderstand metaphors and large words. He also has a heavy accent, which causes him to add "H" to almost every word he says. Later, he shares his flat with Giovanni.He addresses Mr.Brown as Boss

Juan Cervantes, portrayed by Ricardo Montez, is a Spanish bartender with an optimistic streak. Juan is always laughing at himself, confident of his answers even when they are completely wrong. Early in the series Juan speaks almost no English, and answers everything with "por favor" (please), necessitating Giovanni to translate some key terms for him. Juan's English improves as the series went on, but he remained one of the worst speakers, often speaking a mix of English and Spanish. He cares a great deal for Mr. Brown, whom he considers almost family. However, he constantly has disputes with Mr. Brown as they do not always see eye to eye.

Ranjeet Singh, portrayed by Albert Moses, is a London Underground worker from Punjab in India and a very devoted Sikh. He constantly argues with Ali, who is a Pakistani Muslim. He tends to mix up his general knowledge, and upon being corrected he always puts his hands together for "a thousand apologies". He is also at occasions shown to get very notorious after getting drunk.

Danielle Favre :wub: , portrayed by Fran

Edited by Vroomtattat