Having a Prison Record

Ahtong

Let's say someone has been to jail before. Will there really be a visible record on his IC to distingush him from other people? Will companies actually know they are employing someone with a record if the person never declare so? I guess the civil service might have you blacklisted but private companies should be none the wiser right? The only tell tale sign would probably be an awkward gap in employment history?

Similiarly, what about people who declare gay during NS? Do they actually have a "record"? What's there to stop kengsters from declaring gay now only to be "cured" some years down the road?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Before you are employed, the HR will get you to sompah on the employment contract that you do not have a criminal record, not a discharged/undischarged bankrupt etc already. If you lie, I guess they have all the legal reasons to terminate you.

My question is how will the company find out if you never declare and keep a low profile? Unless so suay someone come and bun knife ......

Hearsay from those clerks during NS that those who had declared 302 will not be eligible to apply or enjoy certain benefits when back to civilian life .

Anyone here declared to be 302 can clarify ? [:p]

I am thinking if the person is applying for a senior position, maybe HR will check more carefully. But if it is some entry level job, will they bother?

The gay scenario is also something I have wondered about. If some kengster declare 302 during NS, will policemen be waiting for him if he decides to ROM? [confused]

What company need to do is sent in thier request to CID, CRO (Criminal Record Office) and they could find any information in regards whether you did brush with the law......... [sweatdrop]

Same as if you want to migrate to other countries, that country also want to see a record of which, you go to CID to apply for a copy of Cert of Conduct...... [sly]

Work in small private companies lor. Singapore industry got more than 13,000 companies, of which more than 90% are SMEs, this is according to SPRING. If you dun say, nobody will know.

I think the necessary dept to write to should be CAD to look out for white-collar ex-criminals.

Turbocharged

What company need to do is sent in thier request to CID, CRO (Criminal Record Office) and they could find any information in regards whether you did brush with the law......... [sweatdrop]

Same as if you want to migrate to other countries, that country also want to see a record of which, you go to CID to apply for a copy of Cert of Conduct...... [sly]

Parking summon counted a not? [:p] I kanna summoned for jaywalking before. $20 fly out of my pocket. :D

some companies will ask you to declare when filling up the form, alternatively they will ask you to get a CNCC (certificate of non-criminal conviction) from the police to show that you do not have any criminal record.

is it true that the ic number will be changed after a person comes out from prison?

no lah..

For a person with criminal record, it depends on the company he is going. On certain employment forms, you will be asked if you had been charged in any court of law. If they ask, you will have to declare accordingly. If never ask, you are not obliged to say.

Who works in HR and had actually take the trouble to check that fellow got prison record or not.

I mean if the fellow got ang-kong and looks fierce or first 3 months got attitude problem, the HR will just find some excuse not to hire or sack him at the right time.

Seriously...no one will know ever know if you never leaked it out to anyone!

Before you are employed, the HR will get you to sompah on the employment contract that you do not have a criminal record, not a discharged/undischarged bankrupt etc already. If you lie, I guess they have all the legal reasons to terminate you.

I started this thread because I suspect that being "marked" due to prison record is more urban legend than actual truth. If one avoids the civil service and has a good excuse for the gap in employment, most likely they don't even have to worry about all the yellow ribbon stuff. Sometimes these urban legends are left un-debunked because their fear factor can make people behave.

Speaking of making people behave, my CSM bluffed me last time, saying that a good SAF service record will help me in civillian life. In reality, it is worth even less than toilet paper. At least toilet paper can be used to wipe the backside.

i am not sure but i get the impression that all records will be removed after 5 years

is this true

yah your citizenship will be remove also... [hur]

Speaking of making people behave, my CSM bluffed me last time, saying that a good SAF service record will help me in civillian life. In reality, it is worth even less than toilet paper. At least toilet paper can be used to wipe the backside.

No employee with even be interested in that piece of paper... the only paper they interest in are qualifications rest is from your brain...

↡ Advertisement