Ceiling fan

Bluepica

5 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I wish to install a ceiling fan for more steady airflow in a small room.

My ceiling board doesn't look strong and I am afraid it may not be able to take the weight of the ceiling fan.

Are the ways which I could overcome this?

you need the U hook attached to the concrete ceiling.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:49 AM, mikk123 said:

thing made last time.... Newly made one won't last that long. Cutting cost and more profit is more important than reliability 

Humans are the same.

Kids these days not as tough as us.

My MIL is tougher than old boots!

And she smells like them too!

image.png.db612e072819c304dd770f1f94be3e16.png

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

My ceiling board doesn't look strong and I am afraid it may not be able to take the weight of the ceiling fan.

this is a what? false ceiling? then it needs to be reinforced.
Some fan installers can do it for you. But need to tear down a bit of your false ceiling and reinforce.

If the space is really small, can consider a 16" wall fan.

14 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Can use a wall fan?

Not the obiang type like in the coffee shops

but the new modern stylish kind.

:D

image.png.cf25d8102527d71191e9afab28340028.png

• Praise 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:36 AM, Se3h3ng said:

Ceiling fan broke down at the mark of 5 years… zzz. 
wanted to buy haiku but the wind CMI. 

anyone got lobang for nicer looking ceiling fan without lights? Thanks!!! 

haiku wind cmi?
A 52" haiku should be able to displace 7000+ CFM at it's max speed. Every other ceiling fan is roughly the same. 

Whether a fan can displace more air/increase CFM compared to a haiku is highly dependent on your room and whether the downrod distance to ceiling (hence your blades) and the room/wall distance to your blade tips etc. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Can use a wall fan?

Not the obiang type like in the coffee shops

but the new modern stylish kind.

image.png.cf25d8102527d71191e9afab28340028.png

I have an acorn corner fan which can be ceiling or wall mounted. Airflow is good. But it's uncovered. Saves one thing to wash. need a wall switch though.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

this is a what? false ceiling? then it needs to be reinforced.
Some fan installers can do it for you. But need to tear down a bit of your false ceiling and reinforce.

If the space is really small, can consider a 16" wall fan.

I stay at the top floor of a 4-storey HDB flat.  Those with a pointed/slanting roof (if seen from external).  Being at the top floor, my roof doesn't seem to be the concrete type; the ceiling looks more like wooden board and could see part of it has bent downwards (slightly) over the years.   I want a ceiling fan, but I don't think my ceiling would allow it.

okok, all my good friends in mcf, please don't ask me to change house ok?  

Each time I talk about my car issue, all my good friends here will ask me to change car.  :D

I love my car and house, ok?

IMG_20211115_170429.jpg

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

13 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I have an acorn corner fan which can be ceiling or wall mounted. Airflow is good. But it's uncovered. Saves one thing to wash. need a wall switch though.

The one with open blades?

I wanted to get that for my MIL.

And mount it head height where my MIL stands up to get out of bed.

Wifey didn't allow me.

She is such a spoil sport.

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

I stay at the top floor of a 4-storey HDB flat.  Those with a pointed/slanting roof (if seen from external).  Being at the top floor, my roof doesn't seem to be the concrete type; the ceiling looks more like wooden board and could see part of it has bent downwards (slightly) over the years.   I want a ceiling fan, but I don't think my ceiling would allow it.

Each time I talk about my car issue, all my good friends here will ask me to change car.  :D

IMG_20211115_170429.jpg

oh. then definitely just a wall fan.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

IMG_20211115_170429.jpg

No need change. Keep this and buy a new one with concrete ceilings. 

jokes aside. This can direct mount. But check with the installer. They should know best. 

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, Lala81 said:

oh. then definitely just a wall fan.

I have always wanted a ceiling fan, a coverless wall fan would be the next ideal.

I dislike fans with covers as they are troublesome to clean and I am allergic to dust.

I can't afford an Arcon brand (>$400) wall fan.  I got myself this instead at less than $18.  Acceptable noise level, quite quiet actually.

It works well and has accompanied me with my zoom meetings.  Just that I have to stay within 1.8m to enjoy strong enough breeze.

My only regret is I should have gotten the option with longer wire (>3m) so that I could turn the fan off from a distance if accident happens or when it drops onto the floor. 

My happy cheap-good solution.  My good friends in mcf, please do not laugh at me ok?

fan.jpg

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 2

I have 2 acorn 56" fans inherited from previous owner. Installed in 2016.

Seem reasonable condition so just don't be wasteful during renovation...
Even though i find the fans ugly, they seem to have reasonable cooling.
And they have this annoying feature where every time u switch off and switch back on, everything is blank. Fan is off by default. cannot remember last setting. How f**king dumb is that. Every other fan on the market even budget ones remember last setting.

Both remotes have some slightly wonky buttons but one of them up lorry over the weekend.
Remote uplorry means the fan cannot switch on at all.

So called Acorn today, out of warranty, need to pay $140 excluding transport/labour for the change of RF receiver + RF remote.
W T H for a stupid remote control [furious]

I may just buy a brand new fan. It's totally wtf for just a remote control.

Edited by Lala81

I also find ceiling fans really ugly but I put one in my MIL's room because I suspect if you don't attach it properly they fall off while spinning.

I heard its important to get one with a good strong metal blade.

image.png.fa2062c449d0b21ca7265c8a717a5c02.png

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

So called Acorn today, out of warranty, need to pay $140 excluding transport/labour for the change of RF receiver + RF remote.
W T H for a stupid remote control [furious]

I may just buy a brand new fan. It's totally wtf for just a remote control.

Contacted the elmark distributor or supplier asked for a new remote as mine seems a bit siao siao le after 3 years. 

quoted me $75 for a remote. 
decided to stick back to the old one till it really up lorry 

5 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

Contacted the elmark distributor or supplier asked for a new remote as mine seems a bit siao siao le after 3 years. 

quoted me $75 for a remote. 
decided to stick back to the old one till it really up lorry 

what is frustrating is that it died just before i program the remote for the broadlink rm4pro that i bought.

The other 2 legacy fans also have remote buttons that don't work well. But today, my wife programmed them into the broadlink. So at least that part is saved. 

Just use voice control in Alexa to control the fans in future.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement